WalMart Canada Reviews

Updated 14 October 2014
2.7

WalMart Canada President & CEO Shelley Broader
Shelley Broader

Pros
  • 10% discount on all merchandise (except clearance) (in 24 reviews)

• most people are great, employee discount, extra discount near christmas, profit sharing (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • The higher you get the less work life balance exists (in 14 reviews)

• As well as only offering part-time positions and extremely rarely post full-time positions (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Very friendly environment

Former Employee - Walmart Cashier in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Walmart Cashier in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at WalMart Canada part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Very friendly staff
    -Training is provided
    -Gave me very flexible hours because of school
    -Very professional when dealing with problems in store
    -Benefits were decent

Cons

-Min wage, which paid for the school textbooks, but still needed to apply for grants
    -Gets tiring working cash especially during seasonal hours
    -Most workers a apathetic doing their job which isn't surprising considering the wages

Cashier

Former Employee - Walmart Cashier in Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Walmart Cashier in Brampton, ON (Canada)

I worked at WalMart Canada part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get a measly discount (10%) off everything in the store. You get a bonus check every year, that's nice.

Cons

The lines would get so long and so you can be on cash non-stop it can be quite hard for the body. You get questions asked about departments that you do not work in. You

Get to know your cashiers and present opportunities for company growth.

Have to suck up to move up

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at WalMart Canada part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stable job
    Discount
    Benefits
    Good student job
    I worked here for 5+ years and I can't think of any more pros… how sad is that?

Cons

Management looks after themselves
    Long hours
    Not flexible
    Have to suck up to be liked
    Rarely acknowledged for a job well done

Open up to front line employees in regards to sales and store goals. Be more approachable. Needs to make sure front line associates are comfortable with their work. Stop acting like robots and be more personable.

Not the company it used to be...

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at WalMart Canada part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- 10% discount on all merchandise (except clearance)
    - The workers at our store became like family.
    -Profit sharing once a year (I was part time and got up to $800 some year)
    -15% discount on Walmart stock
    -flexible hours (they are pretty understanding if you need to switch shifts)

Cons

-Walmart is NOT the company it used to be. I worked for Walmart Canada from 2000-2005, and then came back in 2012-2013..and the way they treat their employees has went downhill.

-we used to get 20% discount on stock- reduced to 15%
    -part time employees were given anywhere from 18-27 hrs / week. Now they keep you between 12-15 hrs (unless the store is short staffed, you take shifts in other departments or it is Christmas time)
    -There is no work life balance now ( even full time employees have to work a minimum of 1 night per week and between 1-2 weekends (full weekends) per month.
    -The store used to be well staffed. Now their company goal is to make the store as efficient as possible with very little staff. You will sometimes end up covering 2-3 departments. I was a sales associate and had to go on cash at the drop of a dime because they were so short staffed. Then the department managers would be upset that my work didn't get done in the department. I felt like I was being pulled in 10 different directions and you just couldn't make everyone happy.
    - Management in 2000 used to be pretty respectful and never pushed you or got upset when things weren't done. When I went back in 2012, I was constantly pushed further and further. For instance once they knew I could get out 1 skid of stock during my shift , they pushed me to get out 2. It was never good enough for them and you felt very under appreciated as an employee. I worked from 2012-2013 and not once did a manager say "good job". I know it shouldn't make a big deal, but it does as far as employee morale goes.
    -A lot of the managers there work very long hours and are under a lot of pressure (generally dissatisfied with their jobs) so it kind of trickles down throughout the whole organization.
    -I've witnessed probably 10 employees break down in tears while working at walmart, that should never happen (especially at a minimum wage job)

-Make your employees feel valuable. Instead of hiring 20 employees and giving them 12 hrs/ week, hire 10 and give them 24hrs/ week. In the long run it will save the company money because there will be less turn over.

-Get management that knows how to deal with people

- A complete restructuring of this company is needed, I don't think it will ever be the store it used to be. It used to be a positive environment to work in with great people. Now ever since they have cut hours and increased the work load, the employee morale has plummeted to an all time low. I really hope if someone is considering Walmart Canada as a full time job that they reconsider after reading this review. It is the same across all the stores, it is the way the head office has structured the company. It is not good for work-life balance, they now treat their employees as dispensable and very rarely will you see anyone stay for more than 3 years, unless they have no other option. Please do yourself a favour and apply someone else. There are good things about Walmart, however the cons definitely outweigh the pros.

- If you would have asked me to rate the company in 2000 I would have gave it 5 stars, but now it has changed to 2 stars.

- I was given the opportunity to get full time hours after 5 YEARS, but they refused to pay me benefits and that is when I realized that this company does not value it's employees. The sad part is in every yearly performance review I got top scores and I really loved my job before. But when they didn't have a reason for not giving me the benefits, I saw that there is no room for advancement. Actually most stores have put a freeze on hiring any new full time associates, as per head office.

Customer Service Specialist

Former Employee - Customer Services Specialist in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Services Specialist in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at WalMart Canada part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

profit sharing and stock purchase plans. (Helped me pay tuition)
    plenty of opportunities for extra hours, if you are willing to move to the areas that need attention.

Cons

Low wages- If you're lucky, you will get a .30 cent raise yearly.
    Hours - If you're part-time, good luck getting morning shifts and weekends off. (mostly closings)
    Not enough coverage in certain areas - They will pull you into areas that are either busy, or need special attention. The challenge with this is that you may not be familiar with the area, and customers will bombard you with questions, that you may not know the answer to. Then that's when they get upset.
    MANAGERS - all bark but no bite. they talk the talk but cannot walk the walk. a lot of them don't even know how to run their own department. They just walk around, pushing buggies with items that customers' left around the store, and make pages about associates going to customer service for their returns.

Hire managers with real experience. I understand you want to hire within the company which is fine, but please hire someone with common sense, yet understands how to run a business.
    If you're associates are not happy, then don't expect them to go above and beyond. Start defending them when they get yelled at from a customer over something that they have no control over.

Loved my job

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Fergus, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Fergus, ON (Canada)

I worked at WalMart Canada full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are pretty awesome for full time. Steve Vial was my manager and he was the best boss I've ever had.

Cons

Lots of cliques, 30 hours is full time not 40.

Think about others before you

Not focused

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at WalMart Canada full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good training, nice people. Job has flexible hours and offers a good work life balance, but this depends on what store you work at and who is your manager.

Cons

Zero room for growth unless you have been around a longtime. Way to much favoritism by store managers. Store managers are lazy and sit in the office all day barking orders, not realistic in expectations or timeline.

Store managers need to stop being lazy and do some real work, instead of getting assistant managers to do all the work and then just complain when they don't have time to finish.

Great place to work if it's your first part-time job. Always room for growth and better opportunities.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Markham, ON (Canada)

I worked at WalMart Canada part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you like to talk to people, dealing with customers is probably the best thing about this job.

Cons

Hard to balance school and working long harsh shifts.

Excellent Company to work for

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Burlington, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Burlington, ON (Canada)

I worked at WalMart Canada part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Positive work environment, management is accessible and helpful, Great atmosphere at work, Always look forward to going to work , Management open to suggestions to improve productivity and being proactive

Cons

I have only had good experiences, so there are no cons to report

You are doing a great job!

Happy work in this gaint cooperation

Current Employee - Optician in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Optician in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at WalMart Canada full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Multi culture, good benefits and flexible

Cons

Right people easy get promotion

Create good relationship, work as a team.

WalMart Canada Photos