Walgreens Reviews

3,456 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
1,847 Ratings

Pros
  • Decent profit sharing although not as good as it used to be (in 207 reviews)

• Good benefits but they were changing these as I was leaving not sure they are still good (in 124 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance for the folk under store manager level is nonexistent (in 77 reviews)

• Upper management makes it horrible for everyone including lower management (in 122 reviews)

More Highlights

walgreens

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I have been working at Walgreens for less than a year

Pros

good benefits, good co-workers, they hire friendly people, great place for social people.

Cons

low pay, sporadic schedule. work happiness depends on who your management is,

decrease the importance of suggustive selling and make it a more employee first company

Employee satisfaction has definitely gone downhill

Current Employee - Multiple Positions  in  Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Multiple Positions in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Some locations work around your schedule. There is opportunity to advance quickly. Training is easy.

Cons

Your happiness depends on the location you work at. Some managers are not professional at all. Some may be on a power trip. Walgreens used to lead the industry (my opinion) in pay and benefits. These have all been cut back to line Wasson's pockets. Since there are no Walgreen's family members at the top now, employees have had perk after perk taken away causing unhappiness in the ranks and high turnover in new hires. If you were hired over 4 years ago, you have top pay. New hires get the bare minimum. So, a new store manager could in essence make less than his assistant manager, until all those hired at that time get phased out.

I know the restructuring of positions and pay was meant to weed out employees who were getting raise after raise with no aspirations to advance. But, some employees didn't advance due to market saturation of "talent" or people who know what they are doing. Also, people who were waiting until their kids were old enough or they finished school. Now, there is nothing left for them here. You are soon to lose the best employees you will ever have. Now, going through the ratings, I want to add that I feel our culture and values went out the door with the last powerful Walgreen.

Pretty Good

Former Employee - Certified Pharm Tech  in  Draper, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Certified Pharm Tech in Draper, UT (US)

I worked at Walgreens as an intern for less than a year

Pros

it has really flexible work hours and there is always something to do so you never get bored

Cons

the pay isnt that good but for just starting out it isn't too bad.

to have a chance to get promoted and feel like you are actually contributing to the company

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Retail Store and Pharmacy Experience

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, profit-sharing, time-off policies.

Cons

Employees not adequately compensated. Employees continually asked to do more with less and exceed customer expectations which is basically an no -win situation corporate has set.

PHOTO SPECIALIST

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

The best reason to work here is...
    when available you have the opportunity to learn about other departments as well as your current job title.

Cons

The challenges would definitely be the rate of pay as well as the amount of raise that is given, the cost of living is constantly increasing and our rate of pay is not at all being accommodated it really make you question the company that you constantly hear great things about...as an employee... your thinking
    "what about us" ?

Advice to upper management would simply be
    "Take Care of Your Own"
    "Keep your employees Happy!!!!
    Take the time to see if we're "Being Well"

Service Clerk

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Great opportunity to learn the basic's in a safe, friendly environment. From cashier, stock, theft prevention, and clean up.

Cons

Sometimes it can get busy very quickly, and get the typical moody customers.

Scheduling

I was surprised to see how much the Pharmacist Managers are pressured to sell discount cards, flavorings, etc.

Current Employee - Pharmacist Intern  in  Winter Park, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Pharmacist Intern in Winter Park, FL (US)

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for less than a year

Pros

Employee stock programs, ability to buy household products at an employee discount

Cons

Pressure to sell add-ons mentioned above, drive-thru, practically no lunch hour for pharmacist.

The more they're paid, the less they know

Former Employee - Internal Help Desk
    Former Employee - Internal Help Desk

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a large company, which means that there should be room for you to be promoted.

Cons

Only hire female bosses, no actual promotions happen

Pay should based on performance for your mid & upper-level staff, because they slack majorly.

It all depends on the location of your store.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Walgreens part-time for more than a year

Pros

Mostly good coworkers
    Corporate recently trying to engage employees better
    Decent benefits
    Good hours that work around college schedule
    Not difficult work
    Customers are decent most of the time

Cons

Having to deal with fellow employees laziness that the company refuses to fire for multiple reasons.
    Management is a hit or miss depending on store.
    Corporate trying instill 'robot-like' actions of it's employees (be well, welcome to walgreens, etc.)
    Hard to advance unless you are prepared to devote entire life to the company and must be available to work 50 plus hours a week for years at a measly pay grade.

Allow more free contact between customers and associates because its sounds more natural and genuine.

Fun work environment, hard to progress

Former Employee - Certified Photo Specialist  in  Bremerton, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Certified Photo Specialist in Bremerton, WA (US)

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I had the opportunity to work at two stores in my time with this company.
    - Small teams mean you really become a family. I loved coming to work everyday because the people I worked with were amazing.
    - You get to learn a wide variety of retail skills in every position, especially if you show an interest in growing. I even gained some great managerial skills.
    - Rare opportunity to work with film developing equipment as a lot of company's start to outsource these services. I loved working with customer's photo projects, great way to really get to know your regulars and watch people get excited about sharing their lives.
    - When I decided to go back to school my store was very supportive and for the most part was very willing to meet my scheduling needs.
    - One week paid vacation after one year, moves up to two weeks after 3 (I think).
    - No established dress code regarding tattoos, piercings, or hair color. Company is accepting of personal style as long as you meet uniform requirements.
    - Good benefits if you need them. Profit sharing plans.
    - 15% discount on everything, 20% discount on Walgreens brands (but they're sneaky and don't include some company owned brands). Lots of employee appreciation days where you get bigger discounts, usually with a warning a week out, especially around the holidays.

Cons

- Getting stuck in a slow location where managers are essentially trained can be frustrating, I experienced 3 new store managers over a one year period at one location. Since assistant managers are also relocated often there was no consistency in how the store was run.
    - Upselling goals can be unrealistic in a smaller town where the majority of the customers are daily regulars. Suggestive sell is annoying for them.
    - Recent restructuring of the management system caused a lot of people to receive pay cuts. I left before it was fully implemented so I don't know how daily operations were effected.
    - Joining a store with an established team essentially means you will always work nights unless someone is on vacation or leaves the store. Makes it difficult to have a life outside of work. It also means you will have a difficult time advancing your position unless you are willing to relocate to another store.
    - Yearly raises are based on performance reviews from store manager, if you never have shifts with them you're essentially screwed. Raises are barely worth anything and don't factor in raises in minimum wage. After 3 years I made 5 cents more an hour than someone who had been with the company for 6 months in a similar position.
    - You will work every holiday if you don't have a family. I worked every Christmas and most Christmas eves.

Worked for Walgreens? Contribute to the Community!