Walgreens

2.9 3,231 reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson

Greg Wasson

(1,733 ratings)

Pros
  • Decent profit sharing although not as good as it used to be(in 207 reviews)

• Good benefits but they were changing these as I was leaving not sure they are still good(in 124 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance for the folk under store manager level is nonexistent(in 77 reviews)

• Upper management makes it horrible for everyone including lower management(in 122 reviews)

3,231 Employee Reviews

Started off great then went bad

Cashier (Current Employee) Oakland, CA (US)

ProsCoworkers are great!! Yes your on the clock but still have a great time while your at it. Regulars become your friends

ConsYou dont have much time for personal life!! First they give you the hours of the world then you become on call and only one day for sure, after you dont get called and completly off the schedule for good!! With no notice!!

Walgreens is a great place to work, with great benefits and a pay well above the minimum wage.

Shift Lead (Current Employee) Windsor, CO (US)

ProsPotential upwards mobility, can have a flexible schedule, great company that actually cares for its employees, management is excellent if you go to the correct store, benefits package is excellent, fun and friendly employees, challenging and fast-paced work space.

ConsMove around from store to store quite often, very rare to get overtime, a lot of extra work on managing staff if understaffed, could be more health and environmentally friendly.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep you work-life well balanced, keep the compensation package as-is and expand on the company's value system so that you have more environment-friendly initiatives including solar powering for the stores, mandatory recycling for the whole company, new electronic mylaring systems, and charitable support of clean initiatives.

Stick to the neighborhood stores not the new flagship stores

Pros6 paid sick days a year
    paid vacation
    decent benefits

ConsYearly reviews are done by managers who don't work with you on your shift and the reviews themselves are always 6 to 7 months late.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to actually thank your employees for all the hard work they do instead of criticize them if they forget to do something small or didn't have enough time to finish because store was to busy.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent part-time job for a college student.

Photo Specialist (Current Employee) Albany, NY (US)

ProsThe customer service experience, standard perks with employee discount, and flexible schedule. Ability to move to other stores within the continental US.

ConsDue to few management level positions it is difficult to move for personal growth. However with much patience and time, I am confident that one can move up within leadership. I heard that you can move to corporate offices relatively quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementGlad there are not too many pointless positions for management, which is a waste of money, but you have to wait I bet if you want to move up into management.

Well..

ProsMy co workers are awesome.

ConsHours are cut more and more with each passing week. Stores are expected to do more with less and our customers are suffering.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork in a store once a month so you don't lose focus of what its like!

Good place to start, not to stay.

ProsBENEFITS! Starts off paying above minimum wage (which is $7.25. I started off at $8.) You get to know your customers well.

ConsBecause Walgreens as a whole is changing, it makes it harder for those of us actually working in the stores, dealing with the customers because we have to find an explanation as to why something is different than it was the last time a customer was in our store when we were never even given an explanation ourselves. We get in trouble (literally. We get written up) for not saying "Hello, welcome to Walgreens) when someone walks in the door AND when we see someone on the aisle. I've had multiple customers snap at me because they hate hearing it. IT annoys customers but we have to do it. All-in-all, we're the scapegoats of Walgreens. The store level people have to deal with the consequences. Also, hours! I recently transferred to a store in a different city that has a higher cost of living but because I was making a certain amount where I came from, they refuse to pay me more but also won't give me more hours (which they promised before I moved here) so I'm forced to live with someone else because I can't afford to live alone here. When I requested more hours from my manager, she flat out told me that she's only giving them to people who deserves them!

Love the people

Photo Specialist (Former Employee) New Orleans, LA (US)

Prosthe co workers and managers were wonderful and i loved them all

Consthe customers could be a lil rude and weird, pay wasnt that great

not what it used to be

Assistant Manager (MGT) (Former Employee)

Proslots of locations. can be good for students just trying to make extra money

ConsConsistently adding tasks and responsibilities while reducing hours and staff

photo tech

ProsMangers are always willing to help

ConsDaily task to be completed before shift is over

Stressful, understaffed, but reliable if you know what you are doing and can keep up with demand

Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsI feel valued at Walgreens. I have been there a little over a year and I can say I'm a fairly good pharmacy technician. The pharmacists respect me and constantly let me know that I do good work. The fast-paced, busy environment makes the day go by quicker, which is always a plus. The Store Manager where I work is extremely helpful and takes each employee's needs into consideration.

ConsThe environment is stressful, fast-paced, demanding and sometimes, extremely debilitating. I'm twenty-one years old and active so that I can deal with the running around but I can't say I enjoy the fact that my Walgreens is always understaffed. The amount of work you are expected to complete in a short time is astounding. If you can't multi-task then you won't get very far at Walgreens. You are expected to meet certain demands or your hours will be cut or you will get a warning, which can make one very nervous and worried for their job.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy pharmacy manager seems to care too much about numbers, status and rating. That is, by no means, a bad thing but the method she utilizes to approach these goals can sometimes be unprofessional and one-sided. She does not show as much regard as she should toward the employees or, more importantly, the patients. She must strive to reach company expectations in a manner that will benefit everybody, and not just her own reputation as a pharmacist.

Worked for Walgreens? Contribute to the Community!