Walgreens

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson

Greg Wasson

(1,487 ratings)

2,791 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Profit Sharing, multiple options for health insurance, relatively decent pay"
    in 189 reviews
  • "Good pay is no substitute for a non-hostile work environment"
    in 113 reviews
Cons:
  • "Used to be one of the last big companies that actually had work/life balance"
    in 66 reviews
  • "Upper management makes it horrible for everyone including lower management"
    in 116 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Wonderful company to work for until they stab you in the back.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Walgreens

ProsThe atmosphere is really friendly, and the customers are wonderful. There is always a ton of stuff to work on, no matter what department you're in. The days go by really quickly.

ConsThey schedule people based on store sales. If your store happens to have a slow week, hours a cut way back that results in tasks not getting done and customer service starts lacking.
When Obamacare changed our insurance at the end of last year the cost nearly doubled. I was willing to work solely to pay for the insurance, but two weeks before Christmas three full time employees were fired for the blanet term "integrity issues". We had all been with the company for years. We had all recently been employees of the month, and I was on my way to being promoted to shift lead. We all felt betrayed, stabbed in the back. Walgreens treats their full timers terribly.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease support your employees. We are "the face of Walgreens", we are the people that the customers come on to see every day. I know that it is easy for you to blame corporate for all of the things that happen to hourly employees, but try to have a backbone. My manger was a community leader, but he certainly didn't behave like one. He never lifted a finger in the store, he was always out at "business lunches", was hardly ever even in our store.
What are you paying salaried workers so much for?

I would love to stay. The Team I am apart of is Great...Community, District, Region.

MGT (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 10 years

Pros95% of the time I look forward to going in. Everyday offers new opportunities to help people and learn something new. The other 5% is the general negatives you have with any retail job..."just don't feel like dealing with the 'customers' today.

ConsThe new job model Walgreens has adopted since joining with Duane Reade has streamlined the 'Frontline' Service for the Customer to the 'Threadbare' minimum. Restrictions in Payroll have not only stressed the 'Opportunities' for growth the the maximum, but are also effecting Team morale and potential customer growth. My store is in a prime location to get many RX customers from CVS because of their loss of several 'contracts' and yet our Pharmacy is still short staffed and the Retail Store Management side spends 1/2 their time helping them, so now the Retail side is far behind on maximizing it's opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am a 'Low-One' on the Totem Pole, and I represent a Team of dedicated team-members who are on the Front Line. Our Corporate 'Tree Toppers' need too look back to the basics and nurture the roots from which they spring, lest they wither and die. The challenges of the economy, inflation, and of work/ home life balance are being felt most at the 'Foundation' of what you are depending on for your success. I really love my position in My Store, which is part of My Community, which is part of My District, which is part of My Region....and unfortunitally I might have to look elsewhere for employment, because after 12 + years with Walgreens I might have to 'step-down' to a position that I can not afford to be in, let alone am to well experienced and qualified to accept.

A tumultuous love-hate relationship...love the profession, hate the corpocracy.

Staff Pharmacist (Current Employee)
Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible schedules if partner is reasonable, the ability to help people by educating them on their meds, dealing with the regular customers that make the job worthwhile. Exposure to various patient demographics and needs and expansion of clinical services in the retail setting (ie. MTM, immunizations, patient-focused counseling). Very competitive compensation package.

ConsStressful work environment, no official lunch breaks, skeleton crews that are unable to cover call-outs or vacations, overbearing corporate culture that diminishes the profession in many ways. Burnout period has been accelerated for retail, especially after deep budget cuts and redesigning the business model with more focus on centralization: Remote data-entry, verification, TPR resolution, and medication courier service to stores creates less tech need in the stores, but places more responsibility for mundane tasks (ie. cashiering, calling insurances) on the pharmacists.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication from corporate to stores and setup a feedback mechanism where observations at the pharmacy level can affect positive change quickly. There needs to be accountability for bad decision making on the corporate side. The salary caps of store employees and constant redefining of positions at lower wages is truly distasteful in the face of record raises and bonuses for upper-management.

Shift Lead

Shift Lead (Current Employee)
Ballwin, MO (US)

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for less than a year

ProsAwesome place to work! Besides great co-workers and a very supportive management, once your a full time employee your offered great benefits and profit sharing!

ConsThere no cons that I am aware of at this point and I am very competent with my position I have at Walgreens. All employees must take responsibility for what their occupation entitles and that's for which ever company you work for. You must put in a lot of sweat and hard work to get to where you want to be in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am very grateful for a supportive and proactive management team for the training I have received from them.

My experience was awesome

I have been working at Walgreens

ProsThe best reasons to work at Walgreens is there is always work to be done and it's a great atomosphere

ConsThere were really no challenges working there

Great Company

Call Center (Former Employee)
Deerfield, IL (US)

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEmployee Engagement was excellent and well managed.

ConsNothing to report, no complaints.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat Job

Customer Service Associate

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee)
Midland, TX (US)

I worked at Walgreens full-time for less than a year

ProsHave worked on register one, Photo Dept, and Cosmetic Dept and also stocked and did facing.

Consdon't have any cons with this company

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the experiene that you are looking for to work at Walgreen's and am still on the active list.

Senior Beauty Advisor: or How to Spend the Day Moving Stuff Around

Senior Beauty Advisor (Current Employee)
Twin Falls, ID (US)

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI love my co-workers, good mix of new and regular customers. Merchandise changes rapidly from season to season, it's not the same old products all the time.

ConsPay for hourly employees is not even middling, it is on the lower end of the scale. Far more managers with an assortment of acronyms than floor people, a typical daytime shift will have 3-4 managers, 1 front register, 1 photo, and possibly 1 B.A. We all just got royally screwed with vacations, but that actually works out in favor of new employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementFIX THE PTO SITUATION! We now have to work for an entire year without taking any time off in order to accrue the vacation time/PTO that we would have access to in February like the rest of the world. I hope that making employees who have worked for Walgreens for over a year and expected to have vacation time this year (and not getting any) is saving a load of money for the company so we can get raises, right?

Not a bad place to work.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than a year

ProsFun employees, customers were great.

ConsNot much room for advancement for female managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the times and promote more women to management.

A Job not a Career

Store Floor Lead (Former Employee)
Daytona Beach, FL (US)

I worked at Walgreens full-time for less than a year

Proseasy to get employment, management on site does selection and hiring

Consnot alot of job advancement opportunities once you get to the first tier of supervision unless you have numberous years of experience.

Advice to Senior Managementrecognize who is good and bad for the company. when there is an opening make sure you follow up with HR and let them know all the hard work that has been done by the employee that is applying and not let them turn into a piece of paper to go to the shredder.

Worked for Walgreens? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Walgreens reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Walgreens CEO Greg Wasson. All 2,791 reviews are posted anonymously by Walgreens employees.