Walmart

2.9 6,451 reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon

Doug McMillon

6,451 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative"
    in 63 reviews
  • "The one good thing about working for Walmart is room for advancement"
    in 58 reviews
Cons:
  • "Unless you've been there a while, the work life balance can be difficult"
    in 94 reviews
  • "Store operates on not enough people not enough full time positions like in the past"
    in 254 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

OK company to work for, but your experience will depend greatly on the people you work with.

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you are open to it and it's something you really want, you can learn a lot about how a business works and it is possible to learn and develop skills. I worked at Walmart while earning my degree and my managers were supportive of that goal and willing to let me change my availability so I could go to classes. Once you're off the clock you don't have to deal with anything and can go home without bringing work with you.

ConsYou will always have to give more to Walmart than you will get in return (especially compensation-wise). Workloads are heavy. Customers can be nasty and will treat associates poorly. Many long-time associates like to compare the way things are now to back when Sam Walton was running the company and say things have gotten worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove wages and benefits. Get a handle on improving the technology associates must use to do their jobs. The focus on customer service and keeping customers happy is fine but make clear that doesn't mean customers (or store management) are allowed to disrespect associates.

Horrible

Sale Associate (Former Employee)
Deptford

I worked at Walmart part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe pay was good, co-workers were nic2

ConsNever had a weekens off, managers did not and do not care about the employees, work them like slaves and manageea walk around with there hands up their butts, walk around shouting orders but do nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees complaints they know what's going on in the store

Fortunate to have had great supervisors and coworkers.

Department Manager (Former Employee)
Greensboro, NC (US)

I worked at Walmart full-time for more than a year

ProsWent from part time associate to department manager in less than three months.

ConsI was left to fend for myself as a new manager and new hires are paid the same as people who have been there for years

Advice to Senior ManagementHave someone in charge who is willing to train and mentor.

The customer is always right service with mediocre pay

Customer Service Manager (Current Employee)
Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than a year

ProsRetail and customer service experience, if you work full time there are benefits and decent vacation time after a year, there are quarterly bonuses depending on how well the store does. My particular store has a really fantastic group of associates to work with

ConsDealing with customers that come into the store with the attitude that they are better than Walmart. Dealing with management that can treat you like dirt under their feet. The pay for what you deal with is embarrassing. You have to be fairly buddy-buddy with management to move up

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make your associates feel like they're ruining your day for asking you to do YOUR job. This is becoming the nail in the coffin for me with this job. Also, get on the same page with your other managers. It's frustrating when you've been told to tell customers one thing, then when they get mad, management decides to go against established policy to make the customer happy. These nasty and irate customers are almost never regulars, and we have no reason to bend the rules for people who are probably just manipulating to get a freebie.

Overall a positive experience

Zone Supervisor (Former Employee)
Zanesville, OH (US)

I worked at Walmart full-time for more than 8 years

ProsOpportunities for advancement, good benefits, employee discount

ConsGenerally when management opportunities are posted they have already selected the candidate to promote in advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut your dead weight, listen to your employees opinions (some of them have very good ideas)

Change is always on the menu

Shift Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBonus structure for management is good. Time off is ok. Work different areas and work days and nights. Work in many stores to move up. Willing to pay to relocate.

ConsDo a lot more than what you are paid for. Have to deal with legal issues that should be handled by hr, not management. Work nights every other year.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be like it was with the people.

love hate.

I have been working at Walmart

Prosclean most of the time.

Consbut a lot of workers don't know where other things are in other depts. besides their own.

ZMS

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Walmart

ProsWork never ends, always busy, always on the go, friendly work environment. Associates are very helpful.

ConsManagement is all over the place. The standard is not the practice.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice the standards set my company, daily.

They pay management well.

I have been working at Walmart

ProsThree days on three days off is a great schedule.

ConsThe schedule is changing to four days on two days off.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention.

Service Tech in TLE

Service Tech TLE (Current Employee)

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIts a good job and one of the highest paid hourly associate positions. They will teach you what you need to know no outside schooling is required. If you have an interest to learn about cars its a good place to go.

ConsScheduling is not in your favor so you have to request alot of things and they have the power to deny them which they will do and then you have to find people to switch. Weekends and holidays they are also open they only close on christmas so be prepared to work.

Advice to Senior Managementmake sure the garages are staffed properly all the time. also hold people accountable for their actions when they make a mistake, dont ding them for things that are not there control, and dont be afraid to look a customer in the eye and say you are not telling me the truth and we are not responsible.

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!

Walmart Videos

Walmart – Why Work for Us?

Our Businesses Our mission is to save people money so they can live better. And every division, business unit and department that makes up Walmart is committed to using our company’s size and scale to make the biggest… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Walmart reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Walmart CEO Doug McMillon. All 6,451 reviews are posted anonymously by Walmart employees.