Walmart

Updated Jul 26, 2014

2.9 7,430 reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon

Doug McMillon

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative(in 68 reviews)

• Lot of room for advancement up to the salary level, nice schedule for management(in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off(in 122 reviews)

• Within the next five years there will only be salary full time positions available(in 304 reviews)

7,430 Employee Reviews

Marketing Coordinator

Site Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) Sydney

Prosthis company has several opportunities and has excellent infrastructure to development professional.

Consadministration of time is necessary because work several hours per day.

OK company to work for, but your experience will depend greatly on the people you work with.

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)

ProsIf you are open to it and it's something you really want, you can learn a lot about how a business works and it is possible to learn and develop skills. I worked at Walmart while earning my degree and my managers were supportive of that goal and willing to let me change my availability so I could go to classes. Once you're off the clock you don't have to deal with anything and can go home without bringing work with you.

ConsYou will always have to give more to Walmart than you will get in return (especially compensation-wise). Workloads are heavy. Customers can be nasty and will treat associates poorly. Many long-time associates like to compare the way things are now to back when Sam Walton was running the company and say things have gotten worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove wages and benefits. Get a handle on improving the technology associates must use to do their jobs. The focus on customer service and keeping customers happy is fine but make clear that doesn't mean customers (or store management) are allowed to disrespect associates.

Horrible

Sale Associate (Former Employee) Deptford

ProsThe pay was good, co-workers were nic2

ConsNever had a weekens off, managers did not and do not care about the employees, work them like slaves and manageea walk around with there hands up their butts, walk around shouting orders but do nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees complaints they know what's going on in the store

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exercise in futility

Inventory Supervisor (Former Employee) Cartersville, GA (US)

ProsCo-workers(some)
    Quarterly bonuses
    Employee discount
    1hour lunch break

ConsManagers. Work-life balance. Work-load
    Disorganized
    Turnover rate

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into complaints associates make about managers.
    Get your employees new equipment: pallet jacks, rocket carts, etc.

Great job and good pay

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Springfield, MO (US)

ProsLots of work to do

ConsDumb customers, hot in store

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more on labor

Very fast pace with a lot of opportunities for advancement.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsSchedule, advancement, pay, bonus, benefits, stock purchase, 401k, learn retail financial services, quickly become a customer service guru, and learn leadership quickly.

ConsYou must show growth quickly.
    Policies are enforced differently in each store.
    You will have days where nothing you do will be good enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to take risks.
    Need to be equal relationship manager and results manager.
    Always come in when your asked and some times even when your not to set dedication factor.
    Don't let tasks or criticism go repeated.
    Take any feedback and implement immediately.

It was a good learning experience.

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, they are good with your working hours, they train before goin on the job, meeting and working new people

ConsDealing with really rude people, not enough people to do a job, working on holidays, loud noises, messy people, pay

I enjoyed my experience with WalMart.

Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) Hilliard, OH (US)

ProsYou get to know the community very well thru WalMart. You will be exposed to everyone in the town from working at this company. And you learn the operations for working at a big retail store like WalMart.

ConsIt is essential that you be able to work well with all kinds of people. Since you're encountering people from all sorts of backgrounds, both cultural and socioeconomic, you must develop an ability to work smart with others in order to enjoy yourself that much more.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think WalMart does a great job training new recruits. I most certainly felt that way. And the application process is very straightforward, so there is no concern there either.

It has been a very good opportunity for me to learn and grow professionally.

Personal Security Specialist (Current Employee) Bentonville, AR (US)

ProsThe work conditions are very nice.

ConsThat it is a temporary job and I do not know how long it will last, therefore I do not get benefits.

Its better than not working.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Austin, MN (US)

ProsYou get to be out of the house and meet people. Associate discount card. Chances for advancement and relocation if you stay a while. Looks better on a job application if you are working than if you are not. Retail experience for your resume.

ConsYou start at rock bottom pay Part time. It takes forever to get on full time and get most benefits. no regular hours or days. No regular duties, you an get moved to any position at any time (sales floor to cashier to groceries stocking, Etc...)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet organized and give your employees some structure in the day and week. employees are happier if they know what they will be doing from day to day. work out the schedule so that employees get the same days on and off every week with their days off together instead of just willy-nilly so then they can more easily plan family time.

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!