Walmart

8,827 Reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon
1,244 Ratings

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 76 reviews)

• They care about work life balance as well as overall employee to company engagement (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off (in 183 reviews)

• Do not want to provide full time which allows them to not provide health insurance (in 374 reviews)

More Highlights

Marketing Coordinator

Former Employee - Site Marketing Coordinator in Sydney
    Former Employee - Site Marketing Coordinator in Sydney

I worked at Walmart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

this company has several opportunities and has excellent infrastructure to development professional.

Cons

administration of time is necessary because work several hours per day.

OK company to work for, but your experience will depend greatly on the people you work with.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are open to it and it's something you really want, you can learn a lot about how a business works and it is possible to learn and develop skills. I worked at Walmart while earning my degree and my managers were supportive of that goal and willing to let me change my availability so I could go to classes. Once you're off the clock you don't have to deal with anything and can go home without bringing work with you.

Cons

You will always have to give more to Walmart than you will get in return (especially compensation-wise). Workloads are heavy. Customers can be nasty and will treat associates poorly. Many long-time associates like to compare the way things are now to back when Sam Walton was running the company and say things have gotten worse.

Improve wages and benefits. Get a handle on improving the technology associates must use to do their jobs. The focus on customer service and keeping customers happy is fine but make clear that doesn't mean customers (or store management) are allowed to disrespect associates.

Horrible

Former Employee - Sale Associate in Deptford
    Former Employee - Sale Associate in Deptford

I worked at Walmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was good, co-workers were nic2

Cons

Never had a weekens off, managers did not and do not care about the employees, work them like slaves and manageea walk around with there hands up their butts, walk around shouting orders but do nothing.

Listen to employees complaints they know what's going on in the store

Horrible. Management treats you like you aren't worth anything. Their only interest is the customers, they could care less about their employees. Pay is horrible.

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager (CSM) in Belleville, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager (CSM) in Belleville, MI (US)

I worked at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are not really any pros to working with this company except you meet some great coworkers.

Cons

Never enough employees.
    Pay is awful
    Raises are every year & they only go up to $.50

Friendly people and a lot of customers

Former Employee - Cashier Associate in Secaucus, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier Associate in Secaucus, NJ (US)

I worked at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Understanding
    Good Pay
    Advancement
    Good managers
    Work more hours

Cons

Hectic holiday hours
    Lack of help from co-workers

warehouse dc unloader

Former Employee - Unloader in Bentonville, AR (US)
    Former Employee - Unloader in Bentonville, AR (US)

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everything. great people, free dinners, safety bonus every week.

Cons

Politics, management had favorites. other then that it was overall a great place to work.

treat everyone equal.

Great job if you are a college student.

Current Employee - Electronic Sales Associate in Mesa, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Electronic Sales Associate in Mesa, AZ (US)

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely flexible hours
    Quarterly bonus
    Discount in store
    Most staff are nice

Cons

Pay could be better
    Customers are very mean sometimes
    Often understaffed

Very happy with most of salaried management, however some don't follow company policy when it comes to returns which is frustrating.
    Management often places new hires in places they are very inexperienced in, making positive customer service difficult to obtain.

Good Opportunities

Former Employee - Cashier Associate in Beaver Dam, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier Associate in Beaver Dam, WI (US)

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Tons of opportunites to change development and levels to get promoted. If you are willing to work hard for little pay then Walmart is the place for you!

Cons

Long hours and pay is ok, but could be better. Working for walmart is like taking part in an experiement. How much are we able to make them do in a little amount of time for little to no pay.

Give the associates more pay raises and not so long shifts. Give the associates MORE TIME to do there work and pay them more also!

Excellent Opportunity and secure Job position

Current Employee - Overnight Cashier in Chanute, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Overnight Cashier in Chanute, KS (US)

I have been working at Walmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job Security, Excellent Vision/Dental/Medical Benefits, 10% Discount on most GM items and occasionally Seasonal discounts on Grocery items ,The core values are Respect for the individual, Service to the Customer, and Striving for excellence.

Cons

Customer Feedback, Heavy Workload, Training Notices come in late(Mandatory training becomes overdue before you know you have it.).

Training Notices would be nice. More incentives for Consistent Attendance. Consider advancement not just based on time served but also Customer Experience and performance evaluations from Supervisors AND co-workers.

The perfect on paper business

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Full benefits. Better than industry average in most employee compensation categories. It is what you make of it. Walmart is a perfect business, it doesn't care where your from, where you went to school or what your last name is; those who perform will make a name for themselves. Some truly terrific customers/associates.

Cons

It will do what is in Walmart's interest regardless of how it effects anything else. Home office control is stifling. Associate and customers are secondary to sales and profit. It is on the store level personnel to deal with preventable issues that arise with little to no input on correction of errors. It would be nice to say where I work and NOT have everyone tell me every problem they have ever had at Walmart.

Customers and associates are not just statistics brought on by an actuary. Cutting your way to a bonus may help you in the short term but will not ensure continued successes. Consider and promote the morel implications of decisions and not just the financial ones. Lets be proud of the decisions we make as industry leaders and innovators. America has been good to Walmart and Walmart good to America leverage our over whelming market share to become the gold standard of retailers. Have your ten best retiring store managers stay on as an operational board of directors and be prepared to take notes.