Walmart Reviews

8,400 Reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon
1,088 Ratings

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 74 reviews)

• Lot of room for advancement up to the salary level, nice schedule for management (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off (in 163 reviews)

• Do not want to provide full time which allows them to not provide health insurance (in 354 reviews)

More Highlights

Marketing Coordinator

Former Employee - Site Marketing Coordinator in Sydney
    Former Employee - Site Marketing Coordinator in Sydney

I worked at Walmart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

this company has several opportunities and has excellent infrastructure to development professional.

Cons

administration of time is necessary because work several hours per day.

OK company to work for, but your experience will depend greatly on the people you work with.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are open to it and it's something you really want, you can learn a lot about how a business works and it is possible to learn and develop skills. I worked at Walmart while earning my degree and my managers were supportive of that goal and willing to let me change my availability so I could go to classes. Once you're off the clock you don't have to deal with anything and can go home without bringing work with you.

Cons

You will always have to give more to Walmart than you will get in return (especially compensation-wise). Workloads are heavy. Customers can be nasty and will treat associates poorly. Many long-time associates like to compare the way things are now to back when Sam Walton was running the company and say things have gotten worse.

Improve wages and benefits. Get a handle on improving the technology associates must use to do their jobs. The focus on customer service and keeping customers happy is fine but make clear that doesn't mean customers (or store management) are allowed to disrespect associates.

Horrible

Former Employee - Sale Associate in Deptford
    Former Employee - Sale Associate in Deptford

I worked at Walmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was good, co-workers were nic2

Cons

Never had a weekens off, managers did not and do not care about the employees, work them like slaves and manageea walk around with there hands up their butts, walk around shouting orders but do nothing.

Listen to employees complaints they know what's going on in the store

its okkay

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in White Plains, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in White Plains, NY (US)

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

clock in and clock out

Cons

They are horrible people. They need to treat they workers with dignity

Great Place To Work!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Erie, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Erie, PA (US)

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits! Flexible scheduling.

Cons

Poor communication and inconsistent direction from upper management.

Get on the same page. Either decide to follow company protocol 100% or not at all! Stop swinging back and forth.

To everything there is a season.......except Walmart

Former Employee - Walmart Assistant Manager in Waterbury, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Walmart Assistant Manager in Waterbury, CT (US)

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Job opportunities were plenty at that time. You had the opportunity to learn everything because there were no hourly associates to give the work to! Three on, three off sounds great until your store manager feels the need to 'request' you come in on your off days because your PAD PARTNER, can't handle all the responsibility when you are gone............
    If the company would look at its beginning and current business model with open eyes, there is a way to achieve the goals they seek without overworking employees and disenfranchising customers.

Cons

Taking advantage of advancement opportunities was difficult. It depended on who you are and who you knew. Market level managers manipulate every salaried managers performance evaluation to reflect the outcome he/she is looking for total market. I went from an exceeds performance evaluation at mid-year, to a meets expectations at final, in a 6 month time frame with no negative comments or documentation in the entire year. This was done to every manager in my store, the best and the worst of us all got the same final eval rating. This manipulation occurred because the store financial and profit performance was exceeds, which meant any Manager achieving above a 'Meets Expectations' rating would receive a max bonus. The MM needed to control the cost and impact of our success on the total market results. Store Management bonuses are now tied to Market success, and those results are influenced by the person most in need of controlling these outcomes for their personal benefit. "It's not MY Wal-mart anymore!"

When a Company can't walk it's own talk, it's time to get out! For those with any sense at all...understand that there is a reason the company is ALWAYS hiring and promoting managers! The store manager of one location I worked at went through 30 yes, 30! salaried managers in 3 years!! Do the math! 10 salaried managers a year on average! Unless you are ready to give up your home life, family time and work yourself like a dog, don't go for the money. There are certain areas I would consider working in and suggest if you are interested in Walmart, you pursue Asset Protection Manager-Store, any management position in Logistics, provided you are qualified.

Great intentions, but out of touch with every day reality of running stores.

Former Employee - Human Resources in Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Walmart doesn't deserve it's bad rep. The company has good ideas and they do care about employees, more than is portrayed by an unhappy few. Lots of advancement opportunity if you are okay with falling in line, not with unethical practices or anything, it's just very top - down decision making. Employee experiences vary widely based on the quality of the store mgr (many who were great!). Great emphasis on the open door policy which works well most of the time. Overall better than they get credit for.

Cons

Execs are way off base about how things really happen in the stores - mostly because of the expected dog and pony shows when they do actually visit. Also they are so focused on keeping prices (and therefore expenses) low, that stores are chronically understaffed which leads to messy stores, out of stock items, little customer assistance, and the ubiquitous wait in line to check out. Now that I'm no longer w/ the company (downsized), I rarely shop there because it's frustrating to see these issues still not solved. Low prices, if that is what you really care about, this is the place to go, but you get a minimum experience as a customer and often as an employee, too.

Please loosen the choke hold on % to sales to labor costs ... the investment would more than pay for itself if the store level managers had enough employees (and thus, time) to really train and develop your people. One other thing, to really solve store level operating issues, ask and truly listen to what your experienced employees tell you.

I worked as a cashier where the AP staff watched us more than the customers. I also workedthe electronics department

Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier/Electronics Sales Associate in Phila, PA (US)

I worked at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed those who I worked with and the flexibility of the store

Cons

Management was terrible almost every department in the store was understaffed. Customer to associate ratio was easily 20:1 if not more. Unreal expectations, upward mobility wasn't based on actual work but rather how close you were with management. LONG LONG hours and very LONG shifts. No work life balance, you get off work and to go home sleep and prepare to get ready for the next day at work. No unions which means no associate protection. Unprofessional managers. This company in n way shape or form values its employees it is completely customer driven.Poor poor poor associate training, its like you do a few computer training's and then they just throw you to the wolves , to fend for yourself. It's a real learn as you go type of environment.

Need a serious fine tuning and readjustment.

Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier in Princeton, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Princeton, IN (US)

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You work with some good people.

Cons

Pay is not good. No room for advancement except if you kiss the bosses butt. You work your butt off to find out you get your hours cut but people who don't want to work get the hours. New people get better shifts while you get bumped to work bad shifts. Most managers at my store are a joke.

Treat your employees better. Promote the people who want to move up and work there butt off. Your management teams at my store show to much favoritism

It was good then went downhill

Former Employee - Department Manager in Highland Village, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Highland Village, TX (US)

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You learn many tasks and you're always busy. Associates are friendly and like family.

Cons

Management will take you away from jobs that need to be done and then be upset that they weren't finished

If you pull sometime to help in another department, wait for them to finish what they were asked to do previously, or make sure if they stop that it's communicated to management. Communication is key, and Walmart lacks that terribly.