Walmart

9,973 Reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon
1,660 Ratings

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 76 reviews)

• They care about work life balance as well as overall employee to company engagement (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off (in 183 reviews)

• Do not want to provide full time which allows them to not provide health insurance (in 374 reviews)

More Highlights

Marketing Coordinator

Former Employee - Site Marketing Coordinator in Sydney
    Former Employee - Site Marketing Coordinator in Sydney

I worked at Walmart full-time (less than a year)

Pros

this company has several opportunities and has excellent infrastructure to development professional.

Cons

administration of time is necessary because work several hours per day.

OK company to work for, but your experience will depend greatly on the people you work with.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are open to it and it's something you really want, you can learn a lot about how a business works and it is possible to learn and develop skills. I worked at Walmart while earning my degree and my managers were supportive of that goal and willing to let me change my availability so I could go to classes. Once you're off the clock you don't have to deal with anything and can go home without bringing work with you.

Cons

You will always have to give more to Walmart than you will get in return (especially compensation-wise). Workloads are heavy. Customers can be nasty and will treat associates poorly. Many long-time associates like to compare the way things are now to back when Sam Walton was running the company and say things have gotten worse.

Improve wages and benefits. Get a handle on improving the technology associates must use to do their jobs. The focus on customer service and keeping customers happy is fine but make clear that doesn't mean customers (or store management) are allowed to disrespect associates.

Horrible

Former Employee - Sale Associate in Deptford
    Former Employee - Sale Associate in Deptford

I worked at Walmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was good, co-workers were nic2

Cons

Never had a weekens off, managers did not and do not care about the employees, work them like slaves and manageea walk around with there hands up their butts, walk around shouting orders but do nothing.

Listen to employees complaints they know what's going on in the store

Cashier

Current Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Ashland, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Ashland, OH (US)

I have been working at Walmart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Being around the customers is great, I love a good challenge with a bunch of price matching and couponing. I loved watching over the self check out, making sure customers had a clear view on how to work the machines.

Cons

The only cons is that they do not accept doctors notes, and they really do not care how sick you are, a call off for any reason is counted against you.

I think management needs to be more friendly, and needs to get to know more of the on floor people. They kind of just walk around like we are their little peasants.

Not all stores are like this

Current Employee - BACKROOM INVENTORY ASSOCIATE in Simi Valley, CA (US)
    Current Employee - BACKROOM INVENTORY ASSOCIATE in Simi Valley, CA (US)

I have been working at Walmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I can not think of any. Maybe being able to transfer?

Cons

Unorganized crazy managers, low pay, will NOT work with schedule and treats everyone like a useless robot or teen in highschool. Ur life doesn't matter, it's the needs of the store before u

Be more understanding, and considerate of people's lives.

Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier Associate in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier Associate in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Great place to work and great people to work, has a lot of good benefits and a great place to work.

Cons

Not to many hours when u first start, and a lot of people call off and don't get written up.

Great management

Assistant Manager. Good Company to develop a great skill set. Workaholic competitive type personalities only

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Steady pay and Large yearly bonus. As Management I never felt my Job was in danger. At most I felt like my bonus was in Danger. My take home was 45k yearly with % based bonuses usually averaging 5k for me. (part of your bonus relies on the other stores in your market...if they do bad, you loose money) This company is for competitive, workaholic personalities. My philosophy is that if you know what you are getting yourself into you can't complain. I gained a lot of experience with this company. Managing stress, money, and people. I honestly feel like i can do anything after do this.

Cons

Rotation schedules. As a single young adult. I had no problem with the schedules. I was normally at work around 12-14 hours a day for 4 day stretches with 2 days off while working the day shift (730am-8pm) and 4 days on 4 days off with the night shift (730pm-8am) or 4 on 4 off with the new 130pm-130am shift. Expect to almost always stay late, Work most weekends, and nearly every holiday. Yes even Christmas. The store may be closed, but someone has to get the store ready for business on Dec 26. Normally a few salaried managers, the normal overnight crew and all hourly management come in 10pm on Christmas night and work until 7am.
    I have left the company because I cannot cope with the hours as a family man nowadays.
    Hourly employees are grossly cut at some times of the year and as Salaried Management you will be expected to make up for the lack of staffed hours. And you will do it because its in your best interest. If you bring in low numbers you will get visits from market managers that will expect you to turn things around with no help whatsoever.

Treat employees like people. Just because someone is salaried it does not mean that they are a robot. People need sleep, nutrition, and a semi-regular schedule. Hire over night management that stay overnight. No more rotation between a year or so on days, then a year or so on nights. Most people just don't have in them to work like that. My last 18 month on overnights consisted of sleeping 3 hours a day. That effected my ability to be an efficient manager. Be smart and let the people who enjoy and want to stay on nights, stay there instead of rotating. It would solve a lot of problems.

accounting tech 1

Current Employee - Staff Accountant
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant

I have been working at Walmart full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly working environment, every one is nice.

Cons

Demanding and stressful working environment.

Happy with managers. They are good people.

I've gotten to meet a lot of great people

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Greenwood, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Greenwood, SC (US)

I worked at Walmart full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very neat and clean, wonderful managers

Cons

less employees on register makes it more harder to satisfy customers, need more employees on registers

Should be available when an employee needs help at all times

Team work very strong on meeting our quarter fast pace environment.

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Merced, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Merced, CA (US)

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people strong work environment company picnics

Cons

Product not delivered on time.

Just to up date the companys computer system and talk to the deliverers.