Walmart

Updated Jul 23, 2014

2.9 7,390 reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon

Doug McMillon

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative(in 68 reviews)

• Lot of room for advancement up to the salary level, nice schedule for management(in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off(in 119 reviews)

• Within the next five years there will only be salary full time positions available(in 302 reviews)

7,390 Employee Reviews

Marketing Coordinator

Site Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) Sydney

Prosthis company has several opportunities and has excellent infrastructure to development professional.

Consadministration of time is necessary because work several hours per day.

OK company to work for, but your experience will depend greatly on the people you work with.

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)

ProsIf you are open to it and it's something you really want, you can learn a lot about how a business works and it is possible to learn and develop skills. I worked at Walmart while earning my degree and my managers were supportive of that goal and willing to let me change my availability so I could go to classes. Once you're off the clock you don't have to deal with anything and can go home without bringing work with you.

ConsYou will always have to give more to Walmart than you will get in return (especially compensation-wise). Workloads are heavy. Customers can be nasty and will treat associates poorly. Many long-time associates like to compare the way things are now to back when Sam Walton was running the company and say things have gotten worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove wages and benefits. Get a handle on improving the technology associates must use to do their jobs. The focus on customer service and keeping customers happy is fine but make clear that doesn't mean customers (or store management) are allowed to disrespect associates.

Horrible

Sale Associate (Former Employee) Deptford

ProsThe pay was good, co-workers were nic2

ConsNever had a weekens off, managers did not and do not care about the employees, work them like slaves and manageea walk around with there hands up their butts, walk around shouting orders but do nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees complaints they know what's going on in the store

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exercise in futility

Inventory Supervisor (Former Employee) Cartersville, GA (US)

ProsCo-workers(some)
    Quarterly bonuses
    Employee discount
    1hour lunch break

ConsManagers. Work-life balance. Work-load
    Disorganized
    Turnover rate

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into complaints associates make about managers.
    Get your employees new equipment: pallet jacks, rocket carts, etc.

Work hard and move up quickly.

Zone Merchandise Supervisor (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI (US)

ProsI enjoyed the Associates I worked with, made a lot of life-long friends. The Health/Vision/Dental Benefits for me, were affordable. Many prescriptions $4-8. They started Insuring your unmarried Spouse or Domestic Partner with reasonable rates. The employee discount 10% off, 20% off Eyeglasses/Contacts was awesome. If worked Thanksgiving/Black Friday got 25% off 1 whole purchase. Raises every year $.40-$.60. Management was availible to talk to. Fast paced store. You control your future. There is a MyShare Bonus for meeting quarterly goals but I only saw it 2 times in 3.5 yrs. I was promoted 5 times with raises.

ConsYou have to be very self-motivated. You are not provided much training for any job given at any level, you have to jump in and get hands on. Management had an Open Door Policy to discuss issues but rarely fixed them. In order to get promoted you needed to work hard and be noticed for the hard work, they needed to know your name good or bad (I was known for being too demanding and loud, It got me propmoted quickly but I didn't have many friends, I never kissed any tail and just spoke up/worked hard) I worked both Part Time and Full Time as an Associate and Dept Manager there was a great work-life balance. However as a Zone Merchandise Supervisor there was little to no balance. In the ZMS role you worked either 8-5 or 11-8 which seemed pretty balanced but sicne you are the middleman between a dept manager and an assistant you had to change your hours to meet the needs of the business which could mean overnights or 12 hr shifts or split shifts to ensure coverage of your Zones. Dept Managers have the best hours 7-4 no weekends...but it depends which store you work at as I've heard that varies. I felt I was underpaid in my position for the work I had to do and how much of my life I commited to Walmart. But I'm sure a lot of people feel they were under paid. There's no raise but once a year unless you move up in position, I was promoted 5 times and I went from $7.45 to $12.60 in 3.5 yrs.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeach and Train. The people that you think are "annoying" by asking so many questions, wouls be less annoying if you just taught them. As a ZMS I wasn't given control over critical items that would have relieved pressure from Management such as ability to Schedual, Keys (trash/organics), and Coach for Improvement. I had the hardest ZMS position Primary Fresh (Deli, Dairy, Frozen, Bakery, Meats, Produce) Secondary Consumables (Dry Grocery, Pharmacy, Pets, Paper, Chemicals, Health and Beauty) but it seemed I had no support system. I had back-to-back weak Assistant Managers that acted like their head was in the clouds. I only saw my Assistant when they did Temps once a day, and at the 2pm meeting. I finally got one Assistant that would hold Associates accountable but then they were told they were "stepping on toes" if they did too much for someone else's Team. I was on my own a lot to problem solve which I didn't have an issue with, but I had no power to change or document anything. So reviews and raises were given to my associates without any input from myself or my Dept Managers, Assistants were telling the associates they were "Exceptional" without having working with them and that created a hostile environment when they openly discussed their review/raises with others. Lastly, Management GET OUT OF THE OFFICE, WALK THE FLOOR! Don't depend on us bringing you problems and solutions all of the time.

!I loved it!

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsEveryone is nice and helpful. I learned a lot!

ConsIt was difficult to get shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know the employees more and motivate them. They really shape the experiences of customers.

Love it.

Toy Associate (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK (US)

ProsThat I love to get money and more. That we will love to see a lot of people I know.

ConsThey do a lot for me and now they will work there all the time. That everyone will change us.

love

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Columbia, MO (US)

Prosexcellent and awesome love this job

ConsI have nothing bad to say about this job what so ever

Enjoyed working there

Department Manager- Walmart (Former Employee) Logan, UT (US)

ProsIn my experience, working at Walmart was great. I know a lot of former employees gripe about it. But just as long as you're doing your job, show up on time, and show an interest in moving up in the company, it can happen.

ConsTheir insurance was astronomical. I couldn't pay for it, considering I was the sole provider.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing

Great job and good pay

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Springfield, MO (US)

ProsLots of work to do

ConsDumb customers, hot in store

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more on labor

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!