Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
www.wbie.com Burbank, CA

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment Reviews

Updated Jan 20, 2014
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment – US – “Breakroom”

Martin Tremblay

Come here for the experience and fun, not for the pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Burbank, CA (US)

I worked at Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment as a contractor for more than a year

ProsOpportunities to try new things and work with some very talented and experienced people. Great work/life balance; Great culture

ConsLower industry average pay; Politics involved to really move ahead; Lack of structure can be chaotic at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open and share ideas and information rather than silo information only to those relevant to those that only need to know

Great place to work

I have been working at Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

ProsFriendly atmosphere, access to the studio lot, fun projects, flexible hours

ConsTakes awhile to get promoted

Stable workplace but little incentive to strive for excellence.

Manager (Current Employee)
Burbank, CA (US)

I have been working at Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat brands, commitment to high quality games, very secure employment, generally reasonable hours and workload.

ConsNo upside if you do a good job - bonuses are capped (small percent of salary), annual raises are lower than inflation, very slow to promote. Lots of politics, particularly among senior management, lead to dueling initiatives that should be combined across departments and unnecessary bitterness/conflict among rank and file.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefine a strategy, get buy-in from everyone, follow-up on it and stick with it. Attract best-in-class employees and invest in identifying and retaining star performers.

Poorly managed game development.

Technical Artist (Former Employee)
Needham, MA (US)

I worked at Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits and coverage of a corporate entity.

ConsPoor and unqualified management. A complete lack of process and project management.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit and seek political office.

Laid off after more than a decade

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Kirkland, WA (US)

I worked at Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEmployees receive free movie DVDs several times a year and occasional screenings of new movies. Warner Brothers owns a large number of interesting IPs.

ConsUpper management is excessively risk-averse and short sighted leading to a creatively stagnant environment and frequent layoffs of loyal and talented employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementDriving talented and loyal developers away to make your quarterly budgets look good is a shortsighted solution at best.

Great environment, great culture

Marketing and Sales Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment as an intern

Prosvery relaxed culture, great perks, great opportunity to learn

Cons- work load is very cyclical

Full of potential, but lacking in adequate resources (in terms of process, people, and direction)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Tremendous IP and the potential for leveraging that IP
- A number of very passionate a dedicated people to work with
- Essentially still a "startup" culture with a hefty bankroll
- "Warner Bros." experience can look pretty good on a CV

Cons- Lack of unifying direction/vision (especially obvious given the geographic separation of the "head office" from everyone else)
- Too little staff to do all the work that needs to be done, and a seeming willingness by the executive team to let this situation continue.
- "Bottom-line" decision making often at odds with creative/creation process
- Current trend of workforce reductions at various development locations

Advice to Senior ManagementUnify the entire division, staff critical positions with enough people to get the job done without individuals having to "kill themselves," and setup a culture of "success" versus one that provides a minefield of opportunities for failure.

Kirkland office is unstable

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Kirkland, WA (US)

ProsThe work is fun and challenging. The people are great.

ConsThe studio goes through annual layoffs. Sometimes it is more often than that. They layoff people whenever a title is ready to launch. The pay is lower than other nearby studios.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlan ahead so you have something to do with all these people when a project ends. There is no need to go through massive hires and layoffs every year when a little planning will save you all that time, money, and reputation.

Worked for Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment CEO Martin Tremblay. All 8 reviews are posted anonymously by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment employees.