WellPoint

www.wellpoint.com

WellPoint Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Joseph R. Swedish

Pros
  • I work from home which is very nice as I don't have to fight traffic every day(in 97 reviews)

• Good level of work/life balance, it's definitely a 9-5 environment(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • They demand a lot and do not take work/life balance into consideration very often(in 22 reviews)

• This forced an extremely strong and ethical senior management out of the company(in 14 reviews)

WellPoint is a great place to work.

Implementation Coordinator (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

ProsThe benefits are awesome, lots of PTO, and it is the most diverse company I have ever worked for.

ConsSince it is an insurance company, changes to company policy are happening all the time to keep up with legislative changes. This can be a bit overwhelming at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with subordinates regulary to let them know "what's in it for me".

Medicare field sales in New York City was challenging but fun

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsLearn how a fortune top 50 carrier's Medicare division runs.
    Help members of the community

ConsLots of red tape and the wheels of change are slow to change even if needed

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease compensation
    Make changes more swiftly when needed

I am WellPoint

Pharmacist (Current Employee)

ProsWork-life balance. Benefits, work from home, use clinical and functional skills about how Rx get processed to help real people troubleshoot issues. Use everything I know and encouraged to keep learning. Always looking to improve.

ConsHuge company, people's experience relies a lot on their direct manager and that management branch. It also relies on their understanding of how what they do helps people, many people do not understand this. This is not unusual. Always looking to improve, upper management changes can really swing direction at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep in mind it is great customer service that inspires loyalty and great inter team work and understanding of healthcare as a whole that fuels great customer service. Our members are our families... Immediate and extended.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good pay, excellent benefits - CSR III

Customer Service Representative III (Current Employee) Colorado Springs, CO (US)

ProsFlexible schedules, good pay. Excellent benefits. Work at home possible. Easy work, despite stress of talking to people all day long. Relaxed attire approved.

ConsHard to move up. Stressful at times when dealing with irate callers. Not all positions allow work at home. Been here 6.5 yrs, very repetitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementStressful at times, could use more time off.

The company overall, I would rate as a good place to work.

Associate Medical Director (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsThe information I received was fair.

ConsThe information w as not what I was looking for.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe benefits are good.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe salary was very good for my geographic area. We had flexible work schedules and were able to work from home. The benefits were good. This was a great place to work and the people were wonderful.

ConsThe company was bought by another , causing the closure of this office. Outsourcing of certain services was done several years before we merged and this caused layoffs.

Worked there a long time

Finance Ops (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

Prosgood benefits, nice facilities, flexible work schedules

Constoo much re-org, does not promote from within

Advice to Senior Managementkeep employees in jobs they are good at

Overall great company.

Health Educator (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsWork hours, tuition reimbursement, yearly bonuses, work from home options.

ConsLack of advancement opportunities within the company.

Loves to maintain the status quo

Business Consultant (Current Employee) Mason, OH (US)

ProsThe upper leadership of this company has a pretty good vision. They offer a relatively good compensation package. The fringe benefits are pretty good. They have a great work at home culture.

ConsThere's a distinct lack of ability in the middle management sector of this company to communicate the vision of upper management effectively. This causes the actual individual contributors to be confused, and as a result, status quo is maintained, and not much really changes. Also, the ability to break into that middle management, and use your enthusiasm to actually make a difference seems to be impossible. The cronyism involved with middle management makes this a great place to work with little opportunity for advancement. I think the HR department doesn't help this by actually finding the right people in their pre-screening processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind enthusiastic people within your company to lead, and focus more on individual performance, and more directly tie compensation to that performance. Don't be afraid to 'cut the fat' of people who don't really know what their doing in management, because there are a lot of them.

Good company to work for, although there's constant anxiety due to turnover at management and senior management levels.

Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsThere is no micromanagement unless you're performing poorly.

ConsConstant change within management structure: here today, gone tomorrow.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep employees engaged about reasons for constant internal management change/employee layoffs.

Worked for WellPoint? Contribute to the Community!