Wendy's

Wendy's Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Wendy's President and Chief Executive Officer Emil Brolick

Emil Brolick

Pros:
  • "Nice managers, fast paced environment, decent salary"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Working at Wendy's provides a flexible schedule and a great kick start to you work life"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "don't pay you anything, been there for a year and still making minimum wage"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Long hours just like the rest of the food business"
    in 23 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

friendly working environment

Crew Member (Current Employee)
Adelaide

I have been working at Wendy's part-time for less than a year

Prosgood working environment and nice colleagues

Consno room for promotion; short working hours and low rate pay

Corporate office is a great place to work

I have been working at Wendy's

ProsThe company culture here, which permeates from the top down, is excellent. Great communication between business units. Able to maintain a very good work-life balance.

ConsThe performance review process needs to be modified. Too few boxes to slot people into, which makes it difficult for managers to explain why someone was ranked where they were.

Got a new manager and it was all down hill from there.

Cashier (Current Employee)
Clarksville, TN (US)

I have been working at Wendy's full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI loved the people I worked with. The team members became really good friends of mine. I was good at what I did.

ConsWhen our old GM got premoted, and one of our managers took her place, it seemed like anyone who was her best friend turned into a manager. I have worked here for 3+ years and have never been offered a position like that. No advancement here unless you suck up to the boss.

Good for high school students!

I have been working at Wendy's

Prosgood pay and nice management

ConsLONG HOURS! Training seems to not be very detailed!

Employees are a reflection of management

Crew Member (Former Employee)
Pensacola, FL (US)

I worked at Wendy's part-time for more than a year

ProsWith a good manager, the job can be fun. Hours are easily flexible depending on how many positions you can do.

ConsA bad manager can make you dread putting on the uniform. You can be constantly rushed and told endlessly that you are not good enough, even if you work harder than most of the people in your store. Drive through is given priority, making customers in the dining room angry from waiting. Even if you know for a fact that a customer is lying about a wrong order and has no receipt, your manager will make you give them free food so that they don't call corporate, who will not listen to our side of the story.

Some managers will not care if you get a break, no matter how long your shift is. The official policy is that an employee gets a break every 4 to 4.5 hours. I worked 8-8.5 hour shifts on 2 occasions where I was expected to forfeit my break, with many more instances of 6 hour shifts with no break. When I tried to resolve the issue I was given 2.5 hour shifts 6 days a week for months in retaliation. Not all managers are this bad and I hope most are more like the better managers I had.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt the drive through, allow me to say "Welcome to Wendy's, please take your time to decide what you want and I'll be with you shortly," when we have a long line that is backed up. If the person at my window can pay me before I take the next person's order, the drive through times can be considerably reduced.

Put a bench in the dining room for people to sit on while waiting for food. It gets people out of the way and causes less irritation for waiting. You don't want people to call it fast food anyway, right? Also, put the drink fountains in the dining room for all stores. It makes service faster. There is no reason to have the fountains behind the counter if refills are free.

Don't have someone manage a restaurant if they have never been a crew member before. We once had a gentleman from corporate play GM and was a terrible manager because he didn't understand fundamental things about the job and could not handle the pace.

Also, be careful of which employees get management positions. Don't promote someone for the wrong reasons. Someone can be great at making sandwiches or taking orders, but that doesn't mean that person can manage other people in a way that creates a harmonious environment.

Publicly traded Fast Food Company

Director of Operations (Current Employee)
Dublin, OH (US)

I have been working at Wendy's full-time for more than 10 years

ProsHas the potential to be a great company with the right leadership in place.

ConsAll about increasing EBITDA to hit the numbers given to the Street. Saw 3 major system reorganizations over 10 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to your cultural roots of Dave Thomas

It's a great work environment. You have to deal with some rough customers, but they're few and far between.

Crew Member (Current Employee)
Murfreesboro, TN (US)

I have been working at Wendy's part-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible hours
raise every year or earlier upon manager preference
easy tasks
promotions
training only takes a week or less
there's always something to do
great co-workers
great atmosphere
good fair manager

ConsYou start at minimum wage, but you will get raises. You will probably have some difficult customers that you will have to deal with. Your hours are subject to change, but just talk about your schedule with the managers and they will do their best to work with your schedule. Other than that it is a great job.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy managers have always worked with my schedule and been extremely nice to me, so I guess I have no advice for them as they are already doing a great job!

Thought I would retire here, until the company announced a mass sell-off to franchisees.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Wendy's full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood work-life balance, flexible about time off. Casual office environment. Salary was competitive. Lots of opportunity for advancement unless you are office staff, or your market is sold to a franchisee.

ConsThey talk a lot about being ethical and about what a "family" they are, then they will turn around and sell you to a franchisee and never look back. Once you have worked for the company, you don't want to work for a franchisee. High deductible health plan is terrible. Office staff has no opportunities for advancement and is generally under-appreciated.

Best Fast Food job for management

General Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Wendy's full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood people, Great food, Flexible schedule

ConsLong hours just like the rest of the food business

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good First Job

Crew Member (Former Employee)

I worked at Wendy's part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood interaction with the customer service industry. Overall, good first job to hold. Learn many aspects of customer control. Learn to deal with many different types of people throughout a daily basis. Money counting is an important aspect of job and helpful in everyday life.

ConsGood culture if you can handle working on a team of employees. Can be difficult to deal with customers at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, keep on doing the same things.

Worked for Wendy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wendy's reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Wendy's CEO Emil Brolick. All 481 reviews are posted anonymously by Wendy's employees.