West IP Communications Reviews

11 reviews filtered by
2.3
Todd B. Strubbe

1. Fast Paced and Growing

Current Employee - Engineer in Louisville, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Louisville, KY (US)

I have been working at West IP Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Promote a lot from within, likely because of the skill set required; Exposure to a lot of technology that allows you to learn, but you have to be able to pick it up pretty quick; Training is much better now that it used to be

Cons

Really fast paced, have to adapt to but it is manageable for most; Healthcare benefits aren't terrible but aren't great; Growth can lead to what seems like constant change

Advice to Management

More communication about company goals/achievements, sometimes can seem silod between the groups

2. Decent Company

I worked at West IP Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good management in my department. A lot of work but a great team like effort. Great support from the people I met. II had open doors to anyone I ever had to speak to. Seriously, the people there are great.

Cons

As a company they are pretty cheap in the benefits and compensation area. 90 day wait for insurance is pretty archaic as is one weeks vacation to start. They really need to fix that. If you travel for them be sure you watch what you spend overly carefully.

Advice to Management

I was not there long enough to say. They were very nice to me personally. Loosen up on the compensation packages and you will never lose an employee. I am really sorry it didn't work out.

3. STAY AWAY, STAY AWAY, STAY AWAY.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY (US)

I have been working at West IP Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paycheck, 401K plan is excellent. Some good guys to work with.

Cons

Management is made up of a bunch of idiots from the original company Smoothstone, these jokers got promoted to the big leagues after West CORP bought the company. They run the company likes its a mom and pop shop and scrutinize everything you do. The same problems keep happening over and over again. Poor implementation, backstabbing, meetings with customers behind your back, poor communication. You are told to do one thing and then written up for doing it when the client complains. I mean how can you keep running a business like this. If you love to be micro managed, work 50 plus hours, get written up , then this is the job for you. The turnover at this place is ridiculous. Someone is quitting every day!

Advice to Management

Fix your problems, how long has everyone been complaining about the same thing? You can't implement the service, so get more engineers! Project managers have to much of a work load, so hire more Project managers. It takes forever for development to get back to you, so hire more developers. Stop being so metrics driven, and listen to what your folks are saying! CLEAN OUT THE SMOOTHSTONE MANAGEMENT, they suck!

5. Great company 6 years ago when it was called Smoothstone

I have been working at West IP Communications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's a paycheck and on every other Friday's it free pizza after work, most of the time at least, and that's if your not just wanting to go home.

Cons

The branch in Louisville, KY was Smoothstone was bought out by West/Intercall. All the "founders", the folks that made Smoothstone great are jumping ship or have left (that should tell you a lot in of itself). Company values have not been the same since. There is currently no in house HR department either. Bad Managers are kept and shuffled around. Being threatened with " I would have fired you yesterday but you got lucky and I was sick" are the norm. Promises of "training" are never followed thru. You are expected to put in 45+ hours. Very little room for promotion, hope your happy with your current position.

Advice to Management

Stop obsessively micro-managing and trust the employees they are adults and do their jobs wonderfully if actually given a chance. Mid level management should be sent out for training, at the very least.

6. Horrible atomsphere

Former Employee - CSA in Universal City, TX (US)
    Former Employee - CSA in Universal City, TX (US)

I worked at West IP Communications

Pros

The pay is the only ok thing

Cons

Everything else from the staff to the company to the customers

Advice to Management

Don't take advantage of the revolving door

7. Potential

I have been working at West IP Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great employees. The compensation and benefits are average.

Cons

Horrible Senior Management. The Management team have a hard time communicating the goals and vision of the company.

Advice to Management

Support your team.

8. Good overall

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at West IP Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours, friendly staff, clean work space

Cons

Low pay, short breaks, too long to wait for insurance

Advice to Management

Increase pay and incentives

9. Horribly managed company

I worked at West IP Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

West IP Communications is part of West Corporation. Their sister company is Intercall which has a very well established national sales force and relationships at the majority of fortune 2000 companies.

Cons

The management team is horrible. West bought Smoothstone out of Louisville, KY and this group took over much of the leadership roles at West IP. The Smoothstone management team is horrible. They are small time management team that got promoted to the big leagues. Turnover is extremely high due to their incompetence.

Advice to Management

You should slowly replace the former Smoothstone management team with more capable management from outside the company.

10. Innovative technology company focused on market growth

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at West IP Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fast moving and exciting environment

Cons

Speed of growth could exposes shortcomings in maturity

11. Miffed

Former Employee - Troubleshooting Specialist in Louisville, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Troubleshooting Specialist in Louisville, KY (US)

I worked at West IP Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work atmosphere and mostly friendly co-workers. Cool office location in downtown Louisville. Quickly growing company that is privately held and was just bought out by a much larger communications firm that is getting large enough to potentially go public soon.

Cons

Workers in other departments were very rude and hard to work with. There was very very little training on the job. Management was flakey. I was given excellent reviews and then was fired out of the blue one day; they even tried to appeal my unemployment. I can't recommend. Overtime was forced. This could have been discrimination.

Advice to Management

Please find a manager that has better communication skills, doesn't lie to employees, and gives honest advice.