Whirlpool

Whirlpool Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Whirlpool Chairman and CEO Jeff M. Fettig

Jeff M. Fettig

Pros
  • In general, the work-life balance is above average compared to other large companies (in 26 reviews)

• Whirlpool is a great place to be in marketing or finance (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance except for those who are part of the inner circle of cronies (in 16 reviews)

• Wish that upper management was more open to flexible work arrangements (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

I was empolyed there for 1 year in sales, the company was very innovative and provided its employees withj all the tools

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosglobal company, upper mgmt interacted with people, sales conferences were a way to learn about people product and services, laid back work environment, innovative company, room for growth if you are willing to relocate

ConsThe sales plans were skewed, hard to make sales goals

Whirlpool good place to work

Analyst (Current Employee) Benton Harbor, MI (US)

ProsGreat potential, good incentive and perks

ConsSelf motivation is key, it is about who you know not how well you do.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more aggressive, managing people is not all about task delegation

A great place to work

ProsThere is a great deal of opportunity and challenge available throughout the company, wonderful people to work with, and products to be proud of.

ConsLiving in a small town is not ideal for everyone, though I enjoy it thoroughly.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

contract designer

Mechanical Designer - PTC Creo Parametric 2 0 & Windchill 10 0 (Current Employee) Benton Harbor, MI (US)

ProsI perceived the Whirlpool management as the best of thirty companies in my career.
    Very well defined company standards. Well managed part naming conventions.
    Well defined engineering roles: engineers; designers; drafters

Consmigrating software packages (Going Google; WMCS -> SAP) = short-term pain
    modelers should model and manage upper level assemblies, not spin wheels learning EN writing processes and company specs.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not promote a long-term opportunity 6-18 months and then not renew the extendable contract for (3 of 3) contractors after four months. Economy shifts, horizons only allow to forecast work load just so far...

Great company to work!!!

Lead Engineer (Current Employee) Benton Harbor, MI (US)

ProsWell established processes, great people to work with, takes good care of employees.

ConsNone so far, except is is too cold in Michigan

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing the good work you are doing!

Mandatory employee turnover from upper management is puzzling.

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsFree stand mixers and immersion blenders.

ConsFirings are many and often. If you do not have a family you are fair game for sacrifice to save the lives of others' children. Pay is much lower than anything auto or aero in the area. Product integrity is extremely low.

Advice to Senior ManagementChill out and stop thinking you are the greatest company in the world.

Good Company, small town

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Benton Harbor, MI (US)

ProsGreat company, treats employees well, good advancement options

ConsVacation town of St. Joseph is nice in summer months, but the lack of city amenities gets old after a few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep unleashing talent.

Pay is great if you can stand the politics

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Cleveland, TN (US)

ProsThey pay you enough to consider ignoring your morel compass when it comes losing your sense of team work and exploiting your individuality

ConsEveryone is out to make themselves look better, even at the expense of others. This is a result of the promoted culture through the Personal Metrics of Performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot everyone thinks, acts and feels the same way. If you really want to preach diversity and inclusion, you should understand this is not strictly race and sexual preference.

Family oriented company but lacks opportunities for women and minorities

Director (Current Employee) Benton Harbor, MI (US)

ProsCareer opportunities are abundant up to the manager level. Many lateral opportunities. Ethical company that is family oriented. Good employee discounts and developmental opportunities. Excellent bonus system.

ConsWomen and minorities are under-represented at the Director and above levels of the organization and we don't see intentional actions by the company to address this. We target women as our primary customer - why wouldn't we have more women running the company? Performance reviews are a game - balance out the ratings for the distribution curve and hope you are not one of the bottom rankings this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou want to be seen as progressive you have to look, act, sound, and feel like you and thus the company are progressive. Wishing one thing and acting another will not get you seen as contemporary as your competitors.

Great People, terrible leadership, product quality not great.

Lead Engineer (Former Employee) Monterrey, Nuevo León (Mexico)

ProsWork environment is very good in general, people and coworkers are kind and cooperative. There's a lot of technical training available for employees. Relative good life/work balance but depending on position. Great for people starting their careers.

ConsFor a global company whirlpool has limited resources in what counts, starting with labs and simulation resources all the way up to poor computers and available tools. In general leadership is terrible, there are some good leaders but there are people occupying high responsibility positions that lack technical people skills and don't set fair goals. Some of the good leaders are going away to work somewhere else. Employee 1 to 5 rating system is outdated, its perception-based to a great extend and labels people with mediocre 3's or bad boy 4's, even the 1's don't get much benefit anyway so it does not make a big difference... in the rating meetings people you don't worth with have a say according to what the perceive of you on your rating, this impacts bonuses and morale, etc . . . Staying after hours and excessive load burden upon employees in north america and mexico is not uncommon. What was once a great american company is now disappointing.

Advice to Senior ManagementA complete turn around to your outdated 1 to 5, perception based rating system and goal settings for yours employee is needed if you want to retain talent. Make sure you focus on improving leadership -especially in Mexico- with specific goals, and renew when necessary , bad leaders create a big impact in peoples performance. Separate plant operations support from product development for an efficient work environment. Provide employees with GREAT computers and laptops in Mexico and NAR, lenovo laptops are a shame, I never saw a global company with so poor working resources.

Worked for Whirlpool? Contribute to the Community!