Whitney Holding

Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Whitney Holding President & CEO Carl J. Chaney

Carl J. Chaney

It was a wonderful friendly place to work.

CD/IRA Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Whitney Holding full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe best thing about working at Whitney was the great people who always worked as a team to accomplish our goals.

ConsAfter a recent merger the entire culture and approach to how things were done changed, making it very difficult to get things accomplished.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to find a way to get that teamwork spirit back and raise the morale of the staff.

Great until Hancock Bank merged with them.

Property Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Whitney Holding full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDidn't comply with government compliances and very racist. Refused to observe Martin Luther King Day.

ConsThey keep the Whitney name in Louisiana.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart putting procedures in place that comply with the size of bank you have become today.

Was a good employer.

I have been working at Whitney Holding

ProsCompetitive pay for banking.
Opportunities for personal growth.

ConsSold out to Hancock Bank.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management was competent. The problem was with executive management. They foolishly moved into Florida markets via acquisitions despite ample warning from consultants.

Great Place, lack of advancement

Teller (Former Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Whitney Holding

Pros-Easy place to work
-Retail side is not busy
-Pay is "ok" giving the amount of work

Cons-Pay still could be better, if they had better incentives
-No real advancement, just shuffle employees

Advice to Senior ManagementStart giving realistic goals to Branch Manager, since we are not busy and it is hard to lure in new business.

Stone Age!

Personal Banker (Former Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Whitney Holding

ProsBank holidays, no weekends, close at 4pm...
Flexible work hours, great work life balance...
Not like big bank sales atmosphere, more of a "relationship bank".

ConsOne of Top Personal Bankers in Company and still made less than $40k a year....
They use typewriters nearly every day! Seriously! Little to no technology, even though it has been coming for years...
No advancement potential. Horrible incentive pay. Health & Dental benefits are sub par outside of Louisiana

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being a "good ol' boys club". You keep bad managers just because you "like" them? Upper management seems to be oblivious to real world needs of retail staff. There are little to no documented procedures...I had to learn how to get things done by word of mouth by people that found out the hard way.
Spend money on technology FAST!! You must be nearly 20 years behind bigger banks! Can you even catch up when you are that far behind in this day in age?

Nothing great about this employer

Lafayette, LA (US)

ProsThe pay is good.
Benfits meet expectations.

ConsDiscrimination
Family works for high executives
Small bank atmosphere try8ing to create a "big" bank mentality

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutives from a bigger bank need to understand the dynamics of the roles in all job categories. This bank does not have the correct support needed to be effective with what they are attempting to change.

No room for moving up

Personal Banker (Current Employee)
Mobile, AL (US)

I have been working at Whitney Holding

Prosgreat insurance and great people

Consdisorganized upper management who don't seem very honest
little room to move up in the banking industry unless you want to manage a branch
dissatisfaction throughout the bank

Advice to Senior Managementdon't hire someone and then promote them without a salary increase...i mean, come on

A Little Old School...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Whitney Holding

ProsWhitney Bank is a respected name in the local community, with a long standing, solid reputation. It's a company that is synonymous with New Orleans. The culture is old fashioned, but positive. The people are fun-loving and loyal. The bank returns that loyalty for the most part...

ConsWhile Whitney has a long history, they tend to not be a very progressive company. Change is very slow to develop. A younger professional may not find the culture to be appealing compared to competitors. It can be a formal, suit-wearing, blue-blood culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would say management needs to take a look at some of the more progressive companies out there (the ones that consistently land on those "best places to work" lists) and try to incorporate some of those features into the bank's culture. I understand Whitney has a certain image they like to project, but it may be time for a makeover on the inside...

Nice place to work, poor place to grow.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Tampa, FL (US)

I worked at Whitney Holding

ProsWhitney takes very good care of its employees, particularly evident after Katrina. Whitney is a good member of the communities it serves.

ConsSenior management has not communicated well with regions outside of New Orleans about the direction of the bank. Mediocrity is rewarded and incompetency is tolerated at all levels within the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication should be improved and be more consistent across the bank's footprint.

Worked for Whitney Holding? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Whitney Holding reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Whitney Holding CEO Carl J. Chaney. All 9 reviews are posted anonymously by Whitney Holding employees.