Williams-Sonoma

Updated 20 August 2014

2.8

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber
Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store (in 82 reviews)

• Best Reason to work here is the employee discount and the Sample Sales (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, payroll constantly being cut some DMs had little pets who could do no wrong (in 25 reviews)

• The current upper management does not appear to care about the employees or their customers (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall, a good company to work for

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Sydney
    Current Employee - General Manager in Sydney

Pros

Allows autonomy, financially secure, well paying

Cons

not as flexible and open minded as they should be

open up to new ideas in new countries

Enh

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros

Quarterly sample sales and 40% employee discount on most items (includes Williams-Sonoma, Pottery Barn, West Elm, and Rejuvination) is awesome
    Health benefits are decent
    Project Managers manage projects well
    Business owners are dedicated, as are sales associates who are very willing to assist in defining requirements for new systems and assist with feedback on existing ones
    Though many of the developers are contractors, they are very dedicated and managed well

Cons

Corporate IT management is really hit-or-miss. Some technical teams are managed by non-technical managers and it shows. They lack the understanding of their own team members' job functions.
    Vacation time for new employees is two weeks across the board. Very few company holidays. Summer hours for corporate were cut this year, which was a huge morale killer, as is the strict 8:30 - 5:30 work hours (which adds insult to injury when everyone is expected to be on call for after-hour project implementations.)
    Distance from BART requires use of corporate shuttle schedule or a 25 minute walk
    Get with the 21st century and establish a work-from-home policy!!!

Clearly define team member roles and responsibilities so that there is no confusion among team members or outright resentment due to lack of communication. Encourage team work and a happy work environment, rather than continually reinforcing the fact that management is watching the clock and monitoring clock-in/out times of contractors.

A supportive and rewarding environment!

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Camp Hill, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Camp Hill, PA (US)

Pros

The company values and professional growth are many fold. A very supportive environment and many opportunities to grow and be rewarded.

Cons

High stress situations at times however advice from supervisors was helpful. Having to grasp a lot of product knowledge every few weeks could be overwhelming.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Executive Leadership Team leads the way

Current Employee - Vice President  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros

What is most important to me today is to work at a place where I feel the leadership likes to win and succeed and also focuses on giving back to the communities where we do business. This exists everyday at Williams Sonoma, Inc. Acting like an entrepreneur is alive and well here which means hard work with a real sense of meaning and purpose.

Cons

It's retail so you have to love being flexible and not sweating change

What do you need from your associates to achieve the growth goals?

Asst Mgr

Current Employee - ASM
    Current Employee - ASM

Pros

Very Creative --interesting Culture great products. Fun people to work with generally-I have learned so much while working here. I have made a major life change since working here and am able to show my new found passion for cooking and clean eating while making a living.

Cons

the corporate attitude has really disintegrated the company Chuck started. I understand the need to make a profit--but why at the expense of the company's original concept.

listen to store every associates--they are face to face with your customers every single day.

Some of the nicest people I have ever worked with !

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros

Inclusive Culture, Work Life Balance, Learning and Development are not only encouraged, but ample opportunity to do so. Along with the appropriate offering of training in house.
    I really enjoyed the ALL Hands San Francisco Associates Conference held at the Historic Galileo High School - followed by a Wellness Carnival at the Maritime Museums Bocce Ball Courts this week.
    I was inspired by the leaderships presentation and speeches.It has invigorated my ability to 'dare to dream' ! It was an all round wonderful day of learning and engaging. Lunch was provided by a great selection of food trucks, followed by camaraderie and physical activity with fellow co-workers.

Cons

to be honest, I have not experienced any yet.

In it for the long term

Current Employee - Retail Support  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Support in San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros

we have a rich culture of service to our external customers and internal associates. It's possible for any associate to make a difference. Amazing products- proud to be part of the team.

Cons

we sometimes need to slow down and listen to associates- ask them to actively be part of the solution.

Keep your vision and dream. Never forget our values-it's what has made us great.

Corporate

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Pros

I loved my coworkers, I had no issues with the management team, and I completely adored my job! The discount on items was ok.

Cons

The upper management was WAY too corporate. They would rather spend money on the company jet and store visits than on incentives and whatnot. They also felt that the employees were expendable. I guess they actually were.

Sometimes it's ok to ask questions rather than just fire people. And some people would rather have a paycheck than a discount. Especially if the discount isn't THAT great.

Amazing Store but...

Former Employee - Associate  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC (US)

Pros

Loved the environment and the people. The quality of the store products are amazing. Great company. 40% discount on all items except plug-ins which is 20% discount. Your entire paycheck and more will be spent at the store.

Cons

The salary is the worst. It is a very low paying job. Everyone had a second job except for the managers. Everyone is part time except managers who work 40+ hours. Associates are not allowed to work full time and the schedule changes every week. Also there is only a 10 minute break when you work less than six hours, 30 min break for more than 6.

Make the starting salary at least $10 an hour, not $8. Paychecks are the worst part of working at the store and probably the only bad thing about working for the company. Too much work and effort is expected for very long work days and only making 8 an hour. Also make 10 minute break at least 15 minutes. Nothing can be done in 10 minutes. Employees should also be able to combine their associate discount with store promotions.

Just not for me

Former Employee - FSA/Furniture Customer Service Representative  in  Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Former Employee - FSA/Furniture Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV (US)

Pros

You can look on their products online and great 40% off discount.

Cons

Training starts way to early, the point system is unfair.....they like to embarass you and walk you out and then come back and get your belongings ...no dignity even when its a termination 5 days before christmas...they are cut throat and if you are not favored you will not be spared.....turn over rate is to high

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!