Williams-Sonoma

Updated 30 September 2014
2.7

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber
Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store (in 84 reviews)

• Best Reason to work here is the employee discount and the Sample Sales (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is often unbalanced especially during the holiday seasons (in 30 reviews)

• Upper management never visits the stores- causing a complete disconnect from stores to corporate (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Love the products but not a people first environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Alpharetta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company gives a wonderful discount on products

Cons

Not a people first environment

Fun, busy retail job

Current Employee - Associate  in  Wrentham, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in Wrentham, MA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great discount, nice people. Decent products.

Cons

Low salary for hard work

Increase p/t wage

Associate Manager

Current Employee - Associate Manager  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible Work Schedule, Great Discount, Good Health Benifits.

Cons

Management Heavy Work Load, Cut Throat Environment, Sketchy Bonus Program, Protective Over Bad Managers.

More transparency.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company to work for with great products at West Elm.

Current Employee - Part Time Visuals Associate  in  Palo Alto, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Visuals Associate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for less than a year

Pros

Management Team is great. Wonderful Team and great discount. Fun place to work.

Cons

Street Parking at Palo Alto Store isn't so great. Closing time on weekends is slightly late. (9pm)

Great company to learn about customer service.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Augusta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Augusta, GA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company does good job polishing your CS skills. Customer base is ok. Employee discount is good.

Cons

Upward mobility is not based on KSA's. Pay was not competitive. Units sold per transaction was always focus so you better learn to add-on.

Work on talent acquisition and stop hiring people just looking for the discount.

Sales Associate/ Home Stylist

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time

Pros

Fairly good pay (11/hr) for a retail store. Good incentives to keep sales associates motivated.

Cons

Technology is ancient.. old, slow, dial up internet. Embarrassing when placing an order for a client.

Tech Lead

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

discount on all brand and good work-life balance

Cons

retail mindset upper management still very brick and mortar. No career growth

Must update store equipment and technology! This is 2014, not 1995.

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Love my co-workers, love my die-hard WS guests. The store is beautiful, it is a nice setting for an 8-hr day. The benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Before I started working at WS, my perception of the brand was high-end elegant goods, culinary expertise; a company with a neat history and lead by Chuck Williams, a traditional, hard-working and innovative trailblazer. Now that I work there, I am very disappointed that this is a facade. It feels like a letdown. The corporate culture is very shallow, almost like the popular kids in school who think they are awesome but don't understand why they're not getting A's (bc they are just not smart enough). They can't see that their ideas flop bc there is no reality behind it. It is embarrassing. The image of the company does not match the reality, and customers have picked up on that. (I've worked at other companies, namely Nordstrom and Tiffany, whose image matches their reality, and it is wonderful) I get confused or perturbed looks, even having to stand there and defend these ideas when I, too, am confused and let down. customers ask me if the store is shutting down, bc of the sale signs everywhere. To be honest, they are right. It does look like that. Now to the technology. Please update the computer system! What in the holy heck! Do you know how embarrassing it is when I'm searching the catalog and the whole thing freezes, obviously overwhelming whatever 1995 system is attempting to run. Clienteling is a joke. Increasing the entries (by the hundreds) to a database that is already choking on its own dust. We can't get on the Internet, so if I wanted to search a vendors website to see if they sell a particular attachment or replacement part for my customer, one of us has to whip out our phone. There are times when research needs to be done on their behalf, that's called going out of your way for them, which I want to do. I would love to get people set up into the Nespresso Club right when they buy the machine. It is downright embarrassing when the phone in my pocket is more useful than the WS in-store computer system. The registers are archaic and also need to be computerized. The receipt lookup system is clunky and inefficient, sometimes telling me "receipt not found" when I have the receipt IN MY HAND. Lets look at least SLIGHTLY competent. Please fix this. Stop fumbling, pull it together guys! Your customers are watching. Stop
    embarrassing me.

My in-store managers do everything they can to navigate all these problems without going nuts. Corporate needs to study other companies and follow a new model. The trickle down effect is starting at the top of a very empty head.

Demoralizing experience / highly political and micro managed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Customer service team is well intending and promising. High stress / expectation / micro-managed culture does breed good results. Design team is strong which means the product is strong which is central to the company's success.

Cons

CEO micro-manages so this floats down hill to all leaders which means everyone is performing at lower levels than they're likely capable of. Highly charged political environment of favoritism. Far too many meetings for meetings for meetings. Systems need an overhaul as do most large box retailers.

Acknowledge and empower your middle management. They all have something to offer and can likely take on tasks you've reserved for VP's and above.

Too many contract positions

I worked at Williams-Sonoma as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Products are great, some people are really nice, summer fridays

Cons

A LOT of the employees are contractors so there's not a lot of employee retention/loyalty, contractors are definitely treated lower than "real" employees though they do the same amount (if not more) work
    Office culture wasn't very motivating, a lot of office politics

Be up front with your employees on the possibilities of temp-to-hire work.
    Stop playing favoritism and really look at people who actually work their butts off.

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!