Williams-Sonoma

Updated 21 January 2015
2.8

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber
Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store (in 87 reviews)

• Work life balance - is great as long as you get what you need done (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is often unbalanced especially during the holiday seasons (in 31 reviews)

• Upper management never visits the stores- causing a complete disconnect from stores to corporate (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

I have been interviewed here.

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Good to wok, nice environment.

Cons

Not much friendly people are here.

Good Culture, Desire to Change, but does require patience

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice place to work if you want to improve business processes in the DevOps space

Cons

Hard to teach old dogs new tricks

CIO needs to embrace DevOps to foster adoption across organizations

Mixed feelings

Current Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Wellington, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Wellington, FL (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time (less than a year)

Pros

+Great food
    +Above minimum wage
    +Most managers are very caring
    +Most team members are very kind
    +I was able to cook as part of my job
    +Most clientele was favorable
    +They are strict on when you get breaks and how long your breaks are. You have a 6 hour shift? You WILL take a 30 minute break halfway through.

Cons

-As with most retail, hours vary per week. I'd have 8 one week and 35 the next.
    -Again, as with most retail people find it easier to complain about you than to complement you to your managers. I had gotten 2 complaints the day after Christmas from people trying to return things that were simply not returnable by company policy. I was then told by the manager to just "Have more fun" and to "Be more happy".
    -Older associates who have worked at WS for an extended period of time can be cocky and demeaning.
    -People get feisty about who's sales associate number gets put in the system for each sale even though associates receive no commission nor do they truly receive any bonuses.
    -Email capture and credit cards are essential to me keeping my job when we have a mostly older clientele who prefer not to give email and sometimes don't even possess an email to give.
    -If I do so much as leave the cash wrap (when it's not busy) to help a customer who requests help I get in trouble for leaving the cash wrap.

Email capture shouldn't be one of the factors of whether or not someone keeps their job. Cashiers are people too, take care of them. Often times their job is more stressful than that of the Sales Associates simply because they are the ones dealing with payment. If the system asks for sales associate numbers, at least include some sort of commission or bonus. It's pointless the way that it is and only starts fights between associates and cashiers.

Company is going to fail

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Great job if you like to fix problems and sit down all day

Cons

Computers are from stone age.training is long and unorganized. They spend as much time training seasonal employees than they do keeping you as an employee. 98% of incoming calls are people calling in with problems either order was messed up or they didn't get their credit or product was damaged ...way too many promotions changes daiky. Website not streamlined. To many people working as supervisors doing nothing to help new people. No regard for employees ...place is a factory. Company will eventually fail with bad customer service ...this is a job for people at end of rope or retired. Cold staff . Low unfair pay.

Talk to employees more ..get better equiptment. Change customer service or you will all be out of a job soon. Change training. Keep people for their personality rather than if they are late. Point system is grade school. Supervises are condescending and cold . If anything this job will make you want to get a better job just so you never have to go back to zombieland

I was only able to work there for a year, due to health issues, but they really take care of their employees.

Former Employee - Unit Manager in Jeffersonville, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Unit Manager in Jeffersonville, OH (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a wonderful work environment. The management really cares about the employees. The benefits are wonderful and if you are lucky enough to be part of the management team, you are covered from day one with your benefits.

Cons

It can be challenging working retail. Your schedule is never the same from one week to the next. It can also be very physical working and stocking shelves, lifting and pulling on a concrete floor.

Working in Williams Sonoma

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

international, good reputation, product enjoyable

Cons

not well paid, not good technological infrastructure, old fashioned type of management

listen more to the employees, create an environment that would foster cooperation not competition

Great place to work, very open framework but a bit disorganised and lacking administrative support.

Former Employee - Advisor in York, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Advisor in York, England (UK)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility - choose your hours just make sure the work gets done
    Friendly and supportive
    'All in it together' attitude
    Fair split of commissions

Cons

Lack of proper admin support
    A bit disorganised

A great company history, but core values and culture are being sacrificed.

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company history.
    Great products.
    Great people.
    Great customers.

Cons

No ability to leverage payroll to drive sales.
    Little or no work life balance.

Extremely difficulty to get a response from corporate partners.

Constant pressure to improve key initiatives such as in home business but little or no payroll or support.
    Little to know training program.

Field is afraid to speak up, without repercussions.

+Stop ignoring the field address the payroll challenges. With constant cuts to payroll it is impossible manage the amount of workload the field is seeing everyday. If payroll is a concern, stop wasting it on executive visits. I would think senior executives would want to see how stores are really operating not a staged perspective. Way too much money is spent and then cuts are made across the field to pay for it.
    +Ensure field has payroll to train managers and associates. Too much information is being sent down but no payroll is allocated to train. Stores cannot train during business hours with minimal coverage, while processing shipment, implementing visual changes, calling clients, and engaging customers.
    + Money is being wasted on visual sinage. The field does not have the manpower to keep up.
    + The field needs a way to manage shipment. Provide stores with accurate daily box counts. Support stores with enough payroll to process shipment. Stockrooms are a safety hazard and managers cannot process shipment and manage the sales floor simultaneously. I

Worst corporate company ever!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are no pros. Worst decision of my life to work here. Finance team is dreadful and lacks friendliness. Now that I have left, I see how bad I had it.

Cons

Promotions are far and few in between. People can have the same title for 10 years before they get promoted. Most people don't get a bonus structure, and they have no care about your personal work life balance.

Even on salary, my managers would NOT let me take a lunch when it was busy. Wtf? The micromanagement here is disgusting. Thank God I am out.

Nothing can be said to help. Management is pompous, and they act like they are doing you a favor to keep you employed here.

Good company to work for

I worked at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

None - I have no complaints