Williams-Sonoma

Updated 18 September 2014
2.7

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber
Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store (in 82 reviews)

• Best Reason to work here is the employee discount and the Sample Sales (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, payroll constantly being cut some DMs had little pets who could do no wrong (in 25 reviews)

• The current upper management does not appear to care about the employees or their customers (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing Store but...

Former Employee - Associate  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time for less than a year

Pros

Loved the environment and the people. The quality of the store products are amazing. Great company. 40% discount on all items except plug-ins which is 20% discount. Your entire paycheck and more will be spent at the store.

Cons

The salary is the worst. It is a very low paying job. Everyone had a second job except for the managers. Everyone is part time except managers who work 40+ hours. Associates are not allowed to work full time and the schedule changes every week. Also there is only a 10 minute break when you work less than six hours, 30 min break for more than 6.

Make the starting salary at least $10 an hour, not $8. Paychecks are the worst part of working at the store and probably the only bad thing about working for the company. Too much work and effort is expected for very long work days and only making 8 an hour. Also make 10 minute break at least 15 minutes. Nothing can be done in 10 minutes. Employees should also be able to combine their associate discount with store promotions.

In it for the long term

Current Employee - Retail Support  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Support in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

we have a rich culture of service to our external customers and internal associates. It's possible for any associate to make a difference. Amazing products- proud to be part of the team.

Cons

we sometimes need to slow down and listen to associates- ask them to actively be part of the solution.

Keep your vision and dream. Never forget our values-it's what has made us great.

Some of the nicest people I have ever worked with !

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Inclusive Culture, Work Life Balance, Learning and Development are not only encouraged, but ample opportunity to do so. Along with the appropriate offering of training in house.
    I really enjoyed the ALL Hands San Francisco Associates Conference held at the Historic Galileo High School - followed by a Wellness Carnival at the Maritime Museums Bocce Ball Courts this week.
    I was inspired by the leaderships presentation and speeches.It has invigorated my ability to 'dare to dream' ! It was an all round wonderful day of learning and engaging. Lunch was provided by a great selection of food trucks, followed by camaraderie and physical activity with fellow co-workers.

Cons

to be honest, I have not experienced any yet.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Executive Leadership Team leads the way

Current Employee - Vice President  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than a year

Pros

What is most important to me today is to work at a place where I feel the leadership likes to win and succeed and also focuses on giving back to the communities where we do business. This exists everyday at Williams Sonoma, Inc. Acting like an entrepreneur is alive and well here which means hard work with a real sense of meaning and purpose.

Cons

It's retail so you have to love being flexible and not sweating change

What do you need from your associates to achieve the growth goals?

Just not for me

Former Employee - FSA/Furniture Customer Service Representative  in  Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Former Employee - FSA/Furniture Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for less than a year

Pros

You can look on their products online and great 40% off discount.

Cons

Training starts way to early, the point system is unfair.....they like to embarass you and walk you out and then come back and get your belongings ...no dignity even when its a termination 5 days before christmas...they are cut throat and if you are not favored you will not be spared.....turn over rate is to high

Don't do it

Current Employee - Manager  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good discount, awesome staff, good benefits.

Cons

open door policy is a joke, too many to list.

I do not know where to start. No hours and a lot of work. Exempt managers sit in the office all day and contribute little to nothing when it comes to getting work done in the store. Putting pressure on everyone else but themselves. Being forced to answer emails off the clock and end up not getting paid for it. Open door policy is a joke. Favoritism is huge when it comes to promotions. No matter how good you are, if upper management does not like you, then you have no future with the company. Be prepared to be threatened on a daily basis when it comes to your job. "IF YOU DO NOT GET A CREDIT CARD YOU WILL BE WRITTEN UP". Culinary program is a joke. Cleanliness of the store and the hygiene procedures from the culinary team are DISGUSTING. Use gloves, wash your hands keep the prep area disinfected and clean at all time. Be prepared to be buried by boxes anytime you walk in the back of the house. Do not get me started on the new in-home program. Company makes you use your own car, no compensation for fuel or mileage, let alone you have to go to appointments by your self, never know what to expect, very dangerous.

Upgrade technology and ditch coupons

Current Employee - Associate Store Manager  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Store Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love my co-workers and my managers.

Cons

Store systems are ancient. Registers, Store Wide Web system, printers and faxes are impractical and obsolete. Very frustrating. WS does not provide the proper technology/equipment that I need in order to help WS customers. Promotions are degrading the brand. Customers are treating the store like a flea market and berating me for not giving them extra discounts. They have been conditioned by WS to expect discounts and deals. Because they get so many emails, they expect flexibility on what item can be discounted. I have had three people this week ask me if WS is going out of business. I am beginning to search for a new job that provides me with the tools, payroll, and backing to support my responsibilities. Know that if you work for WS, your main job will be to work around technological obstacles. Are you willing to be frustrate day in, day out?

Update your technology. It is becoming a major issue in the stores. Change the website, as the new look/visual is clinical instead of warm/inviting. The overall tone has become very corporate, unfriendly, greedy, and alienating high-end customers. Stop making employees accountable for people who don't want to give their email. Please realize that it does appear that the company is going out of business.

Great discount for a part-time job

I worked at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Discount discount discount flexibility part-time

Cons

holiday hours and schedule are difficult

Room For Improvement

Former Employee - Temporary Assistant Buyer  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Temporary Assistant Buyer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

They paid well.
    Had a good discount.

Cons

The people who worked there treated other employees horribly unless they were friends.
    Lied when telling me the temporary position had ended.
    No good management.
    No good training programs.
    Would take time to help you.
    Snobby people.
    People were leaving left and right because of how people treated each other and the work ethics.

Change the people you have working for you.

Demoralizing culture that drives best talent away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

40% Discount, Sample Sale, Working on high quality brands, Smart co-workers

Cons

Leadership: For the most part, the leadership is extremely weak. Management is insecure about their decisions and compensate by micro-managing their reports - all from the top down. My own manager was terrific, but it's difficult to see good workers treated poorly, and unprofessionally by unreasonable leaders, who demand excellence, but only give ineptitude. Our department has very weak leadership that cannot stand up to their own employees abusing the system, yet nitpicks on petty issues. Cronyism is alive and well at this company, so make some friends if you want that 1.5% raise.

Environment: Morale is lower today than in 2009 when we had a large round of layoffs. Why? Despite profits and signs of growth, the company has cut budget and operations at the expense of employees. The company is still operating at recession levels. This means: employee attrition, occasional furlough days, pushing much needed upgrades to systems and processes etc. Basic office supplies are in short order. Hot water disconnected for awhile. The one lasting perk of early Summer Fridays (which used to be year-round early Fridays) has finally disappeared. Working from home has been banished officially. The phrase 'Doing More With Less' is the go-to mantra. I've seen more passive aggressive arguments and co-workers in tears in the past 2 years than in a high school. The company's mission of 'People First' is laughable.

Work-life balance: Very poor. Expectations of long hours, no WFH, and no comp time. Working mothers made to feel bad when they have sick children. In sharp contrast with other teams that do not show up to work, produce poor results and get promoted.

Career growth: As mentioned in other reviews, growth is very slow unless you manage to become a one of the chosen few. Those that manage it see promotions every year. Others languish for years despite hitting all of their goals and producing consistent work. Moving departments is encouraged on paper, but rarely done; moving teams is much easier.

Being cheap with your employees is not going to cut it, so loosen the purse strings a little. Throw a real Christmas party. Employees are not asking for much and know WS is not a tech company. Take care of these people in real ways (not band-aid fixes like occasional breakfast treats), and you'll improve morale tremendously. Implement a manager feedback system if you really want to keep the best and brightest. Train your leaders on management techniques; remove the ineffectual ones. Analyze why people are unhappy and leaving; act on it.

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!