Workday

Updated 11 December 2014
4.4

Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri

Pros
  • With that said, work life balance is respected (at least in the orgs I have experience with) (in 11 reviews)

• Great product and technology - development team at corporate was a blast (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits are the worst a Bay Area Tech company can ever offer (in 7 reviews)

• Can sometimes work really long hours to finish up a project before the deadline (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Workday internship

Former Employee - Software QA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software QA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Workday as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great company culture, they treat employees really great and the employees are all super nice.

Cons

Pleasanton is a boring town.

Put the interns to dorm in SF or the bay area.

Stay away if you are a smart technical person

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Good culture, fun activities (a huge thank to employee programs team), work-life balance, strong CEO/founders

Cons

the company runs on technology written in 2000 even though its still "new" for HCM business. Irrespective of that if you are a smart technical person there are tons of reason why you should NOT join here unless you want to work for a government like job

1. innovation is highly discouraged and you can not change anything in the architecture/code unless you are one of the very few who joined the company in the initial stages. You are highly encouraged to be part of status quo and do whatever they asked you to do in the way they asked you to do.

2. EVERY decision has to be stamped by the few architects. If they don't understand it or don't wanna do it however compelling it is or how much of data you have to prove it, you can not do it.

3. You will sometimes encounter situations where you come up with ideas and they get shot down or ignored. But later, in few weeks, when an old timer suggests the same thing, everybody applauds it and rush to do it.

4. Unless you are part of one of the core teams, you will be working on their proprietary language which is about "clicking on sh*t" as they say it. It will make you a slave of the system and you won't learn anything. In fact, your value and your thinking abilities will go down drastically over time. You won't be able to use that experience in the future for your next job.

5. A lot of leaders in groups are either unaware of or afraid of new technologies. They don't want to even experiment with those and prototype new concepts unless they are comfortable with it. Always think in terms of how its gonna make there work complicated.

In general, they have an old system even they are sick of keeping. But none of them want to rock the boat too much since its gonna affect their stocks at the end. The founders are wonderful to talk to and listen to and talks about the importance of innovation. But sadly innovation is really discouraged as long as the old timers are around. They have gotten comfortable with keeping a patched system and failing system than taking risks to improve things with new blood.

If you want to improve yourself in few years, not afraid of taking risk and do innovative things don't even think about joining here. But if you want to find a place to peacefully retire, come at 9am and leave at 5pm, this is an ideal place.

I attended the core values presentation and it talks about how important the innovation is. But sadly its not the case inside the engineering organization. Innovation is highly discouraged and gets shot down immediately if its not coming from an old timer. Also, every thing has to be stamped by an architect and those guys are not ready to take risks, research on new architectures/concepts. The company growth in terms of technology is limited by those few people. If the things needs to be improved, then there should be an environment for the newcomers to take risks prove concepts and move those into production. For now, everything is blocked.

Even as an HCM company HR seems to be broken internally. They schedule unrelated interviews for certain candidates with no coordination. Employee referrals are ignored. Some candidates are left in the dark during the recruitment process.

Great summer internship experience

Current Employee - Associate Applications Developer in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Workday as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Had such a great summer due to this internship. They housed us, and had events for us all the time. The employees here are mostly all really nice, and the other interns were cool. Working wasn't ever really stressful, and felt laid back.

Cons

If you're in app dev, working in their proprietary language somewhat limits your learning experience for the internship. I felt like I didn't have time to really learn it that well, and therefore didn't do as much through the summer.

OK

I have been working at Workday

Pros

democratic ok ok ok ok ok

Cons

low pay ok ok ok ok ok

more pay

Great Atmosphere, Interesting People

I worked at Workday as an intern

Pros

The culture is amazing. Everyone really loves being here, loves each other, or (usually) both. Lots of company sponsored activities which make every week exciting. Management cares about you. You become inspired to work harder. Good pay, free housing (for interns and some positions).

Cons

Not many training courses offered for those that like learning from courses. Lots of people still stay after 5, so there is pressure to work longer hours. At times, hard to concentrate because people are always talking and laughing with each other, but a good pair of headphones will help.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Workday

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits, fun technology and great product

Cons

None that I can think of

A software company with an edge both in the technology stack and in work life balance.

Current Employee - Associate Applications Developer in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Workday full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The opportunity to direct your own work and manage your own career is excellent. The technology is fun to work with. The product looks great!

Cons

Often times its up to you to get your work done, so you must be able to perform and deliver without someone breathing down your neck.

Everything looks good!

I'm very happy working at Workday, they gave me an opportunity as a contractor and now I'm a full time employee!

Current Employee - Associate Quality Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Quality Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Workday full-time (more than an year)

Pros

work-life balance is great, they give you reimbursements for fitness so they want you to go work out. Also great outings with your team, excellent managers, and coworkers are all awesome. Plus I can bring my dog to work. Exciting, fast paced, environment, and growing company. Great culture too and good pay.

Cons

Needs more bathrooms in the building I'm in. Didn't get a raise in my salary yet...

Just make us happy and you are doing a good job!

Almost perfect

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Workday full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great product, well-managed at the higher levels, expanding, very positive and flexible work environment. Some of the best people you'll ever work with.

Cons

Infrequent raises, even for long-time employees. One or two departments treat their employees badly. And there really aren't enough bathrooms on each floor anymore.

Make it easier for employees to transfer internally. Other than that, keep up the good work.

It is not what they pretend to be.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Workday full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay.
    Some departments seemed good to work for still when I left.

Cons

Lies from management.
    Backstabbing to gain rank.
    Sexual harassment towards females at least in my department. (yes a compliant was given to HR. But even the people I know saw it didn't want to get involved)
    The company moto is 'Workday and nights' definitely true if you want to get ahead. Don't expect a family life.

Examam your new management. It's about how can I rise though the ranks. Not about employees. You want to be be the best place to work. Stop asking us to lie on the public servey. They give 2 surveys. One for the public. The other for the truth that management sees. And ignores it seems.