Xerox

2.6 1,361 reviews

Xerox Chairman and CEO Ursula M. Burns

Ursula M. Burns

1,361 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Work/Life Balance - Strict 9-5 job, with the opportunity to work from home"
    in 76 reviews
  • "Great work/life balance; being able to work from home, etc"
    in 34 reviews
Cons:
  • "No raises or bonuses in the last 3 years, longer for others who have been there longer"
    in 66 reviews
  • "Upper management do not have a clear strategy nor do they communicate it well"
    in 54 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Where's the beef?

I have been working at Xerox full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI remain to be employed, luckily. I have dodged a few rounds of layoffs and offshoring of jobs. Current manager is outstanding and the ability to work from home is a pleasure.

ConsNo salary increase in 3 years since being outsourced to Xerox, no increase in the 2 years prior to the outsourcing. (5 years total) Statements were made by the outgoing chief in 2012 that merit increases were being reinstated but none seemed to be distributed despite great performance reviews. No other jobs in my field in my location at other companies at my current salary level so I am sort of stuck.to make the best of a not-so-good situation. The customer I support is more demanding than other companies within the XBS base.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut up or shut up. You are loosing good people because of broken promises. The latest from HR is to expect more layoffs. Thanks for the encouragement.

No stability - Furloughs & Cuts

I have been working at Xerox

ProsThe people are truly awesome. They band together to get great results.

Ability to work from home. This help with balance.

ConsSome have not had rasises for many years. I know if one who has not had a raise in 9.

They use furlough to meet their financial targets.

Decisions are not thought through. They permanently ended the bonus program for most employees, after they already confirmed no payout for 2014. They gave a 3% raise due to ending the bonus. Then they furloughed everyone for a week. Did the furlough offset the raise?

The CEO said publicly they reward top performance. I am a 5/5 employee. I have not seen a performance raise.. ever. The only raise (3%) I received was from taking away my 12% bonus.

They say they've budgeted for raises and that it will likely get paid by xyz, and then don't.

Some are very overworked.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix your communication channels. Your managers are getting information at the same time as their reports.

Be clear with performance planning. If you're paying a raise, have the two correlate. Not this maybe third quarter stuff.

Be honest with employees about financials. Trust them to help you get where you need to be. Right now everyone is guessing.

Review your RFPs. Seems like you're making promises that are hard to achieve... in budget.

Focus on retention. Attrition is horrible now.

The mighty have fallen!!!

Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Xerox full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe health benefits are satisfactory in quality, choice and price. The ability to move to different offices because of their presence both domestically and internationally is positive. There are some very nice and knowledgeable people working for the company.

ConsThere is a complete lack of focus and direction on the services side of the company.
The services side keeps losing contracts and truly seems to be unable to gain any new business. The company keeps off-shoring positions and then does not seem to understand why there is such a lack of communication and consistency across divisions. They are not very innovative or what appears to be customer focused on the business machines side.

Advice to Senior Management!Get your act together! Figure out a way to be proactive and innovative in the current business climate you need to have a solid yet fluid plan of execution and a strong, positive and hungry presence. The Xerox name once meant something now it is sad and you can see it failing… Pay your people in the middle and on the lower levels what they are worth and stop paying the upper echelon so much for NOT delivering!

Don't do it

Engineer (Former Employee)
Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at Xerox full-time for more than a year

ProsSalary and package was OK, and I could work from home so work / life balance was OK

ConsSome good people, lots of horrible management lackeys who made it their business to know yours and look to make brownie points wherever possible...

Advice to Senior Managementgive up and go home

Sinking Ship

Systems Development Senior Specialist (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Xerox full-time for more than 5 years

ProsXerox has a great staff. Most people have excellent work ethic and are very knowledgeable

ConsHas potential but the unorganized leadership and lack of employee appreciation is a formula for failure. Most good employees quit and have never been replaced. This caused more work and no pay raise for years.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has their hands tied. CEO needs to quit and maybe get some training to work in retail.

No Longer an Engineering Company

Mechanical Design Engineer (Former Employee)
Wilsonville, OR (US)

I worked at Xerox full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork-Life balance at the local level was really good. The engineers were all selected from the top of their classes and are world class. The team is strong and the product is interesting, unique and challenging.

ConsCorporate management is steering the company towards the easy buck in services and away from the long heritage of engineering. Promotions are rare and raises are non-existent. Local management is mostly interested and dedicated to the product, but have little or no corporate power.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't throw away excellent engineering talent because it doesn't fit with your short term (quarterly) profit goals. What can Xerox do with the amazing talent that it recruited? What will it do next to revolutionize the world? Maybe you should look outside of the office...

Such a great company has fallen so far because of Xerox Services -- ACS

I have been working at Xerox full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA Xerox brand that was trusted. Skills, experience, and knowledge of most Xerox employees. Innovation centers in Webster, Grenoble, and PARC. Long history of providing top notch equipment and services to customers throughout the world. Employees that wanted to believe management was truthful and meant what they said in company emails.

ConsThe management team at Xerox Services is caustic and fostered a hostile work environment. No pay increases for over three years. Last year they didn’t pay any of the annual performance bonuses and didn’t pay sales commissions. Each year in 4th quarter we have RIF’s. This time we had RIF’s and mandatory furloughs in 4th quarter and again this March.

And all so Xerox Services management could get their bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house of the ACS management and restore Xerox to a company with ethics.

What not to do in tech services

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Xerox full-time for more than a year

ProsOpportunity to leverage the brand to grow services unit

ConsLack of leadership at multiple levels

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a strategy

Sales Rep

Account Manager (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Xerox full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent Training,
Great Products
Pretty good work/life balance

ConsNot sure what direction the company is headed.
Everyone including management afraid of losing jobs because security is no longer.
Pay not very competitive.

Many good years. Sad to leave.

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Xerox full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLearned how to sell.
Fun Reward and Recognition events which fostered good relationships with colleagues.
Learned some good business skills and selling processes.
Good training many years ago.

ConsBureaucracy. Process. Financial-driven people decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to front line people.

Worked for Xerox? Contribute to the Community!

Xerox Videos

Xerox – Why Work for Us?

Why build your career at Xerox? Because every day you’ll work alongside people who are as passionate about new ideas, customer service and success as you are. In fact, this passion is at the heart of what we do… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Xerox reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Xerox CEO Ursula M. Burns. All 1,361 reviews are posted anonymously by Xerox employees.