Xerox

2.6 1,385 reviews

Xerox Chairman and CEO Ursula M. Burns

Ursula M. Burns

1,385 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Work/Life Balance - Strict 9-5 job, with the opportunity to work from home"
    in 87 reviews
  • "Current manager is outstanding and the ability to work from home is a pleasure"
    in 44 reviews
Cons:
  • "No raises for over 5 years, I TRULY CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY I STILL WORK HERE"
    in 80 reviews
  • "Most upper management have received salary increase over the last 6 years but staff has not"
    in 59 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good not Great (was great once upon a time)

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
Toronto

I have been working at Xerox full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLoyal company, many internal opportunities. Great sales training

ConsToo focus on cost cutting lately, not investing in human captial. Cut all commission position. Losing a lot f great talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep good people, stop penny pinching because the job market is really good and we cannot afford to lose tallent.

Sr Associate

Senior Associate (Current Employee)
Noida (India)

I have been working at Xerox full-time for less than a year

ProsBest thing is relevant to my experience and one of good organisation to work along with good salary

ConsThe only challenge is night shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery thing is fine...

All the right ingredients ... just need a few less Chefs.

I have been working at Xerox full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of (talented) people.
Big company - lots of opportunity.
Growing through acquisition.
Solid Brand (well recognized - a name you can / should trust!).

ConsSenior Management needs some improvement (especially in Services).
Tools are outdated and insufficient given this is 2014.
Slow to increase pay and benefits (behind the market).

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your (smart) people (not just the ones in charge.
Invest in your people (knowledge and skills - #3 reason why people join a company) and not just the Business Ethics training (that's just a legal requirement). Invest in careers.

Not a bad company on the whole, but stuck in a go nowhere contract

Computer Operator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Xerox full-time for more than a year

ProsCompany has decent benefits (Xerox ITO services side) and I've not had run in's with upper management per se. Job is easy enough and for my area and my position the pay is very good. I generally work with good people, though there are exceptions. Enjoy the pay from the overtime of 12 hour shifts and the 10% shift differential for graveyards.

ConsHowever I'm part of a govt services contract and have been thrown under the bus by my direct manager when I tried to transfer to another department to grow my career and put my certifications to use, I was denied the opportunity (as have others). I was told I needed to stay in my current department for future roles that were planned for me. Since then things have not gotten any better and there has been no growth of change in job roles with more excuses and empty promises that my current job would improve. This has been going on for a year and a half. I don't necessarily have a problem with the company, but I can't recommend working on my contract specifically if you are looking for long term job growth. It is becoming increasingly obvious that my manager is demonstrating a high level of incompetency as a manager since he is not leading his team at all, he is simply barking orders without direction or communication in any form then making threats in order to make sure his team meets someone's arbitrary deadlines. In my instance my manager is a large part of my job growth problem, however he's not the only piece of the equation. In the long run working on this contract in a sub-prime job market for tech jobs isolates you to some degree from other opportunities you might have if you worked at a corporate office in a prime market. The contract is also relatively static as the amount paid to Xerox to work it for it's length has been agreed upon so there's not any opportunities to improve the profit from the customer, hence the whole thing is on a fixed budget which limits what budget is available for labor, thereby limiting any new roles created. Keep in mind some of this stems from when my facility was run by another company, then the contract changed to Xerox and some of the problems/people followed. As for family balance, it's a 24x7 coverage contract, there is no balance especially for the graveyard shift on 12hr shifts. You can take days off easy enough, but the whole time off system is designed for 8hr workers (meaning you take less days off to get a week vacation, but it takes longer to build up those days) and resets for everyone at the first of the year. Therefore everyone fights for time off during the holidays so they don't loose their vacation time and on a 24x7 contract not everyone can leave at the same time. Why time off doesn't reset on hire anniversary is beyond me, and why they don't allow some level of carry over or have a buy-back to prevent everyone from taking off at once is another puzzle. The only carry over is sick time.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave better mechanisms in place to track/hold your tower/team managers accountable for their performance. Especially at remote facilities.
Facilitate easier transition to new positions without alerting current managers that the employee is looking and attempting to move, some managers are selfish and will sabotage the effort.

Great opportunity in a growing segment of the economy, the service industry.

Supervisor (Current Employee)
Rochester, NY (US)

I have been working at Xerox full-time for more than a year

ProsChange and opportunity, plenty of chance of growth.

ConsHigh pressure, low pay, long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making yourself rich, grow the company, not your wallet.

Server Engineer

I have been working at Xerox full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWorking from home. Brought back 401K matching just recently.

ConsAll my team members were from either Mexico or India to support a US client. US employees slowly being squeezed out. I couldn't understand anything that was being said on conference call meetings. Also I was just a number to management. Company doesn't care about employees. No raise for past 5 years but yet company is performing fine. Also, was promised technical training and only got "white papers" to read; no official certification training.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a pay cut and give the money to do those who do the work!

Learned a lot of new and innovating things, but can't really use the knowledge anywhere else.

Client Associate (Current Employee)
Richmond, VA (US)

I have been working at Xerox full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt is a thriving company with a good reputation. The equipment is state of the art. I work with great people.

ConsPay is minimal considering my experience and performance. Management seems to think, speak and act in a world of buzzwords. It is often difficult to understand what some people are trying to say because it's laced with unnecessary language and abbreviations.

The customers can be brutal

Customer Care Associate (Current Employee)
Anderson, IN (US)

I have been working at Xerox full-time

ProsYou can work plenty of overtime

ConsThe pay differs from paycheck to paycheck

Advice to Senior ManagementConsiderchangeing pay to straight hourly

Call Center - Ok but hourly wage is low.

Call Center Representative (Former Employee)
Webster, NY (US)

I worked at Xerox full-time for less than a year

Pros6 weeks of training to handle customers on the phone. Helped with the basics but felt lost on the computers. Quick promotional opportunities said to be available.

ConsCall center workers deal with a lot of customer dissatisfaction and customer abuse.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more computer based training to effectively deal with customers.

Honolulu was awful

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Honolulu, HI (US)

I worked at Xerox full-time for more than a year

ProsIt was Hawai'i..At the beginning it was great.but then I transferred to Hawai'i and that's when I saw the other side of Xerox

ConsTransferred from Va to Hi. Let my manager know that my supervisor was not training effectively. and got wrote up for insubordination.. Tried to cut pay. and the work processes were out of date...(stone age) Hawaii was beautiful, but THAT office was the worst. I was the only African American. And they reminded me everyday. Took FMLA and never looked back

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees

Worked for Xerox? Contribute to the Community!

Xerox Videos

Xerox – Why Work for Us?

Why build your career at Xerox? Because every day you’ll work alongside people who are as passionate about new ideas, customer service and success as you are. In fact, this passion is at the heart of what we do… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Xerox reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Xerox CEO Ursula M. Burns. All 1,385 reviews are posted anonymously by Xerox employees.