Xilinx Reviews

Updated 9 September 2014
3.1

Xilinx President and CEO Moshe Gavrielov
Moshe Gavrielov

Pros
  • Some flexibility in time keeping helps with the work-life balance (in 39 reviews)

• Still many good people working there and there's reasonable work/life balance (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • The values of honesty and transparency have been eliminated by senior management by making employees fearful (in 25 reviews)

• very poor work-life balance for some groups, while other groups have almost no work (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company with excellent execution and people

Current Employee - Field Applications Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Applications Engineer

I have been working at Xilinx full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people and teamwork is top notch. The technology is very exciting and powerful. Great place to express ideas.

Cons

Market vision and adaption is weak. Changing tactics with every wind is distracting and demotivating.

Running the company off of a database is rather scary. Talking to customers and listening is most important.

Got a lot of great experience, worked with some great people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Xilinx full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Xilinx is a leader in their industry leader. They are almost always the first to market with whatever technology they are creating. Programmable logic is a very cool class of product and having the opportunity to spend virtually my entire career with it has been a treat.

Cons

They went from being employee focused to being results at all possible costs focused. So while they've established a fairly substantial leadership position for at least the near-term, it's been at the expense of good people leaving or getting laid off.

The overall Xilinx experience, both as a customer and as an employee has gone nowhere but down in recent years

Former Employee - Field Sales
    Former Employee - Field Sales

I worked at Xilinx full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Leading edge tech... That's about it!

Cons

Pure bottom line focus. Consideration of past relationships and future ones are out of vogue. Sad.

1. Don't forget what made Xilinx a success. Don't "deal" with your customers and employees, embrace and appreciate them.
    2. No one trusts you any more. Not your customers, your prospects, your distributors or your employees.

Unfortunately, I'm not management really cares as they're just following the board's incentives so...

3. The board should incent the next senior management team more wisely and broadly. There is more to the health of a company than it's current stock value. If you can't get people to want to work for you and want buy from you, what you have is people waiting for alternative options that they'll take them as soon as they can.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work, work and work. Recover. Repeat.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Xilinx full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Very interesting cutting edge technology. Flexible hours. Some nice perks, like shares, canteen and gym.

Cons

Work life balance is out the window. You basically need to move mountains (and give almost your life to it) to get just ok raises/shares which don't reflect the growth and impact you've had anyway.
    On the other hand, doing a good job and meeting all your goals and even exceeding on one or more of them, may still have you at the lower end of the performance curve, getting negative feedback, and little to no rewards.
    Feeling of autonomy and control is non-existent with the heavily controlled top-down approach ; made worse by conflicting and changing goals. To do well here, ask yourself "how can I please those who pull the strings" rather than "how can I actually fulfil my role as best as possible" which feels more natural to some of us as a guiding principle.

The vast vast majority of employees are doing a very solid job and putting in a lot. If you cannot do much about the stress and workload due to competition, then at least reward employees better. People doing a very job are leaving because they feel unappreciated.
    Ask yourself "How can I make our employees feel valued and empowered?" and go from there, and I'm sure you will have your answers. Now put it as one of your own goals, and genuinely exceed on this goal (use realistic metrics to measure it).

Mushroom management (look it up)

Former Employee - Staff Design Engineer  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Staff Design Engineer in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Xilinx full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good pay. Still a market leader through just going only through process nodes.

Cons

Don't get sick. Even if you're confined to bed rest in a hospital they'll still keep calling you asking you to come in. Lip service is paid to caring for employees; meaningless offsites address the symptoms, not problems.

We're not robots. Bottom line and cutting corners are not everything. Get real managers and reposition those Peter Principle failures pervading your company. They may have been brilliant technically once but now they're all office politicians.

Disappointing

I worked at Xilinx full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Used to be a great place to work for. Great benefits and salary compared to many other companies.

Cons

Sadly went downhill. Staff were not appreciated and it was expected to work crazy hours. No career development unless you were taken under wing of someone who liked you and pushed you in front of higher management.

Respect and appreciate employees. A company with unhappy and disloyal employees will be heading for disaster.

The work culture is deterioting

Current Employee - Hardware Engineer  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Xilinx full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It is an OK place to work. The benefit and bonus is good. Some employee is still trying to hold the warm culture from years ago.

Cons

Management lacks value of respect. No room for development due to the outsourcing. Management is more like technical driver; not a coach or management.

The important is the people; not the product. The management need to have better quality to manage people better.

Great Work/Life Balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Xilinx full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Autonomy in your role, benefits, perks and great atmosphere especially the people; professional and intelligent.

Cons

Limited upward mobility, takes a long time to implement ideas/ changes within a department, must be aligned with the right management to get things done

not a good place to grow

I worked at Xilinx

Pros

challenging tasks, smart and talented people. chance to promote.

Cons

very poor work-life balance for some groups, while other groups have almost no work.

aggressive scheduling

Decent culture but too much cost cutting and offshoring

I have been working at Xilinx as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- leader in FPGA
    - balance lifestyle
    - decent pay

Cons

- crappy location (too far from everyone else)
    - sold its best building on Logic Dr. to Sonicwall/Dell, pretty much tells you the mentality of the upper management.
    - FPGA market isn't growing nearly as much as the management would like you to believe.

- I don't know if the SERDES are designed in house or bought from third IP, but they are just awful. If you keep ignoring this issue the communication guys are gonna jump boat to Altera.

Worked for Xilinx? Contribute to the Community!