Xyratex
www.xyratex.com Havant, United Kingdom 1000 to 5000 Employees

Xyratex Reviews

Updated Apr 03, 2014

Pros:
  • "Great people to work with, very talented in the mid-level of the organization"
    in 8 reviews
  • "It was close to home, but that has changed with all the reorganizations"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management are dreadful and completely out of touch with their employees"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Total disconnect between upper management and workers"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

An experience of a life time

Senior Accounts Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Xyratex

ProsExcellent supervisor with super positive & understanding attitude.
Supervisor is very supportive & a very experience coach.

ConsCompany's direction & goal is not communicated & exercise at all levels.
Overall operations management still has a lot of room for improvement.

I enjoyed working at Xyratex, I was part of a great team and have had the chance to grow and develop professionally.

I worked at Xyratex

ProsCompetitive pay, good work life balance, great benefits, great people, interesting product, global, solid training, opportunity for growth and development.

ConsSometimes it seems the company is a little resistant to change, they want to keep things as they are. Makes it hard to get to the next level or make things happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up to change, you have a lot of smart people working for the company with great ideas and experience that want to make a difference.

blind leading the weak

Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Xyratex

ProsOne of the remaining manufacturing companies in Sacramento. Strong dedicated site boss looking after us. Company financial ok, make money for now. Good location, easy commute. Getting paid on time. Stupid boss let me do anything. Lots overtime is good.

ConsA good old boys network. If you are an English white male, you have a bright future. Anybody else sit and wait. Evidence? Look no further than recent high level promotions in UK and Asia, young English white males. Blame my parents for wrong skin color.

UK is king and cannot do wrong. Local is junk and cannot do right.

Advice to Senior ManagementBig layoff is near. You take care either the right people, or they will vote with their foot. I can not count on CEO. I better search for new job now.

Could be so much better.

I have been working at Xyratex

ProsGreat people to work with, very talented in the mid-level of the organization.

Benefits are good compared to some places I have worked in the recent past.

ConsThe product road map is non-existent but we continue to move forward in spite of it (usually in crisis mode).

There are many processes in place but they are rarely utilized which adds to the chaos.

There are also missing processes that cause everyone to do critical items differently also adding to the chaos and a sense that we never do the same thing the same way 2 times in a row.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet control of the organization and the processes (define who does what to/with whom).

Set a product road map and communicate it to the masses.

Awful Company

West Sacramento, CA (US)

I worked at Xyratex

Prosnothing positive about working for this company. Ok, it was good pay, but not worth it because of all the Cons. I couldn't get out fast enough.

ConsI worked in the W. Sac office. Everyone was running scared, poor management, the worst I've ever experienced professionally. Overworked employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementDump the VP/Senior management, dead wood.

Has the potential for great things, but needs to execute

I have been working at Xyratex

Pros- great technology
- business has economies of scale to leverage
- blue chip customers
- good direct management
- talented recent hires

Cons- limited financial upside opportunities
- does not invest in internal IT (7 year old email system!)
- not a fun or cool place to work
- executives not accountable for product slippage or deficiencies
- UK based company does not have Silicon Valley drive!

Advice to Senior ManagementHold senior executives accountable for their deliverables.
Staff needs motivation, limited visibility of management does not help the situation. There is hard work ahead to reach the next level of success and there is little drive from management to motivate staff to go the extra mile.

Outdated and Out of Touch

Prosdecent pay
great people to work and travel with
lots of personalities to learn from
great technologists who are willing to share and collaborate
ample free lunches and dinners

Conssweatshop for all engineers and technicians
no communication from senior management
senior management lock themselves in their offices
bicker with customer - philosophy of "customer is right only when they agree with us"
do not understand the needs of the customer
in-fighting between technical and marketing deparments
poor market research / understanding
loyalty is strictly a one-way street
lead from behind

Advice to Senior Managementunderstand the voice of the market
understand the voice of the customer
involve yourselves with the "common worker" at all levels at least once quarterly
be as straightforward with the employees as you expect them to be with you
in other words, follow the advice of the "best" CEOs, and follow the "Golden Rule"
Think about how these things stifle innovation.

Experience, skills, contribution are worthless only good relationship with the boss is the key for success

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee)
Ang Mo Kio New Town (Singapore)

ProsGood pay, compensation & benefits

Cons1) Be dumb
2) Good follower only don't voice out your opinions
3) Don't do more than your peers
4) Boss don't read email
5) Chua Nam Tiong (the Manager) can't make decision on his own; puppet!

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a supervisor or Boss, know your subordinate, don't listen to other envious parties feedbacks. Do your own back ground investigation before making any hasty decision. This comment is especially for supervisor Chua Nam Tiong.

Inconsistent

I have been working at Xyratex

ProsGreat opportunity to learn how to deal with difficult people
The individual contributors are a joy to work with
Travel to third world contries in Asia -get to see cultures at their best
Pay is competitive

ConsCannot rely on the word of senior management
too many offices with doors - closing the door is common practice, where passive-aggressive battles are waged by management
Company values are written very vague, seemingly on purpose
Backstabbing by senior management to all levels of employees is the standard operating procedure
Poor communications by senior management with direct reports
Poor performance feedback system - employees hit with surprises at end of year
Devicive and vindictive managers toward technologists - bickering and infighting prevail
Not constructive confrontation, but passive, destructive confrontation from senior management

Advice to Senior Managementlearn the true meaning and value of these three words: honesty, integrity, honor
not the dictionary meaning, and not to use as devicive tools, but as a way of being.
Consider the impression given to customers - the are far more savvy then your realize.
This is the true path to the success that remains out of the grasp of the SI division.
Good luck - I know the heart of the Senior Staff is in the right place. It is mostly the directorship that does not understand.

to Steve: sorry about the low rating toward you as a leader, but it is your team, so...we must hold you to the same standard that your leadership team holds us.

Xyratex SI Fremont Management is Terrible, Period!!!

Ex=Employee - Xyratex SI Fremont (Former Employee)

I worked at Xyratex

ProsThere are only three pros, and in better economic times none are compelling enough to consider working for Xyratex in Fremont.

1) The fellow Fremont SI development team is wonderful (under different management we could do great things)
2) Pay is decent.
3) Benefits are decent

Cons1) The SI Fremont management is terrible; its the worst I've ever worked for, period.

2) Project planning is terrible and a known issue that the Xyratex SI - Fremont management continues to ignore. In my tenure with the company, I never saw a project, regardless of size, completed within 9 months. However, every project is allocated 4 months, and in reality most take 9, 12, or 15 months to complete due to a complete lack of vision and direction by management.

3) Excessive overtime is expected or out right demanded without consideration for the personal life of the employee (FYI: many on the development team worked 3 to 4 man-months of uncompensated overtime in 2010).

4) With only two or three customers left in the magnetic storage industry, the business cycles for Xyratex SI Fremont have significant peaks and valleys. Hence, job security is non-existent unless you follow managements orders for overtime, spur of the moment international travel, and doing "whatever it takes" to stay in the graces of middle to upper management.

5) Fear and bullying are the common methods used by management toward employees.

6) Vacation is difficult to use because of overtime, excessive work loads, and consistent stream blazing wildfires. Laptops and cell phones are given to employees while on vacation. Nice vacation, huh?

7) Executive management seems to direct by immediate business performance and its impact on short term stock price performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive management, there are two business axiom you should know:

1) The coal-face workers are the best personnel to rely on for identifying business, operational, and development issues.
2) The coal-face workers have many great ideas on solving these issues, if only you would listen..

The reality TV show Undercover Boss is proof to this fact, as well as the accounts of more successful executives.

This forum contains feedback from what looks to be a majority of rank and file workers. Based on these axioms and this forum then; Fremont SI management is a major issue and removing a majority of that middle management is part of the solutions to improving business performance, moral, employee retention, customer perception, and growth.

Worked for Xyratex? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Xyratex reviews and ratings. All 58 reviews posted anonymously by Xyratex employees.