YMCA

Updated Jul 26, 2014

3.5 1,267 reviews

YMCA President and CEO Neil Nicoll

Neil Nicoll

Pros
  • One of the best perks of working at the YMCA was the fact that employees are entitled to a free gym membership(in 150 reviews)

• Always enjoyed working around fellow facilitators and working with kids everyday(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not very competitive but it is non profit so this is to be expected(in 62 reviews)

• There is no growth potential you will only go so far with only part time positions(in 51 reviews)

1,267 Employee Reviews

Great place does a lot for the community with what they're given to work with.

Swimming Instructor (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunity to teach and encourage people how to make positive differences in their lives. Very flexible hours and the opportunity to get on-the-job certification and training. Opportunity to be active on the job. Great for students in high school or college. Great opportunity to learn teamwork and work dynamics.

ConsDepending on your area of interest, income for most workers isn't the highest, but there are opportunities if you're willing to learn and advance. It's a great job for students, very flexible.

Fun place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI love working here and made life long friendship with co workers. There was room to grow and hard work appreciated

ConsLow pay. There were a lot of slackers who did not do their share of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to who works for you and how hard they work. Keep it fun :)

Positive, consistent work

Lifeguard (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsThe YMCA has secure work and is small enough for the staff and members to know each other

ConsAt the YMCA it is usually hard to find enough hours and the pay isn't the same for people with equal qualifications/ experience

Advice to Senior ManagementMore consistent pay

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I love what the YMCA represents within it's communities!

Member Service Representative (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA (US)

ProsI love the people I get to serve working here. My members are the only reason I still come into my job! It makes it mostly worth it and I feel satisfied with what I do here. They Y overall is a great company to work for!

ConsThe management is poor and the pay is terrible. This seems to just be my branch though.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together. :/

Child care provider

Childcare (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsCompany values work life balance it's like a family

ConsPay personal growth if you come in at the bottom it is hard to move up fast

Thoroughly enjoyed my journey from swim instructor to head lifeguard while going to college

Head Lifeguard/Welcome Center Program Assistant (Former Employee) Taunton, MA (US)

ProsI was able to move up and learn more about the company while cultivating useful skills that have carried to other jobs. There is no better environment for meeting new people, the revolving door of members and staff introduce you to people you otherwise wouldn't interact with

ConsI was given new job titles and responsibilities with almost no money attached to them. I saw four exec directors in my 3 1/2 years on staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany of the employees on our staff (after school care, guards, fitness staff ) had never been to a Y training and if asked wouldn't be able to tell you what the Y's mission is. Needed more consistency from upper management.

Love the Y!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRewarding, fulfilling work in a fun atmosphere!

ConsIt's a non-profit, so don't expect a raise.

Great place to work with friendly employees.

Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) Edwardsville, IL (US)

ProsEveryone helps each other out in any way they can.

ConsCommunication between the teams (i.e. their schedules on rain days) could be improved.

Challenging

ProsCommunity involvement, Mission driven, Cause driven

ConsLow Pay in support area

Lifeguard for the pool

YMCA Lifeguard (Former Employee) Greensboro, NC (US)

ProsSteady hours
    Good Non-profit company
    Free Y Membership

ConsDisconnect between lower staff and upper management

Advice to Senior ManagementTransparancy and better training/ staff break facilities would be optimal.

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!