Yahoo

Updated Jul 25, 2014

3.4 1,688 reviews

Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer

Marissa Mayer

Pros
  • Flexible schedule that leads to a good work-life balance(in 147 reviews)

• There are some smart people there and its great to work with(in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Frequent changes in senior management/C-level management lead to a lot directional changes(in 77 reviews)

• Work life balance beginning to shift toward Google(in 27 reviews)

1,688 Employee Reviews

Great place to work in a beautiful location

User Experience Designer (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsGood suite of products to work on, talented people, nice offices

ConsProducts are focused on generating advertising revenue. Good design can often be ruined by excessive ad requirements.

Excellent place to work. Great culture and people

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsSmall team, feels like family. Salary above market average.

ConsNo career progression. No free food like Google.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet Rohan Lund, ex CEO of Yahoo!7 to return. He brought a great culture and spirit to the business.

Awesome company, awesome people.

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsYahoo! is a great place to work. The work environment in Sydney especially is really laid back and the office location, while out of the way, is pretty cool. I work on interesting projects with some really talented people. Working hours are flexible and company events are always well organized and lots of fun.

ConsThe company (up until recently) suffered from a serious lack of direction, the hiring process was also questionable. We're also forced to work with fairly old, entrenched technology rather than having the freedom to branch out and select the best tool for the job. Flexibility of working hours also swings both ways - sometimes you'll be putting in 60 hour weeks to get something over the line.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive us more freedom to make this company a winner :-)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company culture and people here make the place an awesome one to work at!

Digital Account Manager (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsNo middle management, freedom to show your skills and creative streak. Lots of perks and extra days of annual leave which you can accumulate the longer you work here

ConsSome teams can be very clicky and few internal politics issues, but that's like in any company. Ones growth and development can also be sometimes overlooked

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should invest more in staff training and development, a bit more incentives and motivation also wouldn't hurt.

Great company, great people.

Software Engineering (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsLots of opportunities and interesting projects to work on. Plenty of smart people to work with and learn from.

ConsComplicated management structure, lack of accountability when things go wrong or need fixing.

Advice to Senior ManagementFlatten the org and delegate more responsibility as well as work.

Great place to work

User Experience Designer (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsInteresting projects and products to work on

ConsFocus is more on engineering than design and UX

Good times in the Sydney Yahoo!7 office

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsSmart engineers
    Fun people to work with
    Lively and happy atmosphere
    Very good work/life balance
    Good use of (some) open source code and tools
    Good benefits for full time employees

ConsNo clear direction for engineering. Not able to take engineering risks to innovate
    Pressure to launch with out much thought on maintenance
    Strong "not invented here" pressure against non-yahoo code

Fun place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sydney

Pros* It's a great atmosphere to work in
    * Surrounded by fun, young and friendly colleagues
    * Fantastic work/life balance. Plenty of people ride their bikes to work and use lunch breaks to go for run/swim.

Cons* Reshuffles of the internal organisation management structure every few years
    * Heavily focused on using technology to communicate, most people will instant message each other rather than talk/call

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a more strategic approach to next steps and new initiatives. Especially when it comes to internal company organization and structure.

Still love the company despite company turmoil...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI really enjoyed working at Yahoo! as I love the brand and the company culture. However, after 3+ years and 12 reorgs, I was tired of the ever-changing goals and senior leader turmoil. While there, alignment was not difficult to achieve as most folks wanted to do what's best for the company.

ConsMoving up was extremely difficult as many times, it really depended upon who you knew and how to leverage that relationship. There were constant reorgs, senior leader changes, and layoffs while I was there which served more as distractions.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany people including former Yahoos are still rooting for you. Keep pushing forward to rebuild the brand and doing what's best.

A great company to work for, up and coming in the mobile design department.

Yahoo Mobile Photo Editor (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA (US)

ProsGreat manager and team, free food, free gym, free shuttle, free work computer, fun events, new projects on mobile front

ConsCurrently a contractor, do not receive full benefits.

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!