Yelp Reviews

Updated 30 October 2014
3.7

Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

Pros
  • Environment is cool, free food all day, young staff (if that's what you're into) (in 33 reviews)

• Young minds at work, high energy, room for a lot of growth, stocked kitchen (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Learn to handle difficult conversations with business owners and you'll be ok (in 21 reviews)

• Terrible work/life balance if you care about your job (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging, fun environment with smart colleagues

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My coworkers are smart, respectable individuals with a variety of backgrounds. Few people came from the same previous company-- or even the same industry, college, or major. This brings a lot of perspectives to the worktable and makes your water cooler conversations all the more interesting. The flat hierarchy of our work culture means everyone's ideas are heard and valued, and the team spirit of the organization is unrivaled. I also really respect the mission-driven aspects of the business-- our mission drives every business decision, and that's clear from the choices our facilities makes about being located in the middle of downtown SF (near tons of local businesses) to the engineering org's feature rollouts. The lean business model (in terms of perks and comp) can be a pro and a con, but I appreciate seeing that no dollar is wasted here (at least in the perks part).

Cons

Compensation for some roles isn't top of market, but is still fair and they hired a comp analyst to make adjustments moving forward (benefits of a growing company). Time off policy is lean but fair, though I wish for applicable teams there was more flexibility to work from home for those days when you're sick enough not to want to spread it around but not so sick you can't work at all. It's also unfortunate that the company hires a lot of immature people (particularly in sales, where they just need an army on the phone) who make mistakes that impact the whole company's perks and regulations (like beer privileges being limited after several people got drunk at work...Get it together, people!).

Improve mentorship programs across the company (seems great for engineering interns, but we should expand it... this could help solve the immature hires problem), better-support long-term employees (an extra 3-days of PTO after 2 years isn't an awesome incentive, but 5 days would be).

Really enjoyed my experience

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There was a lot of good work- life balance. I really enjoyed my team and manager. The benefits were amazing. Becoming a manager is a good way to go here at Yelp. The managers get a good work life balance. The role itself kinda sucks, but the people and the company itself is going to be just fine.

Cons

Compensation, The ramp up plan sometimes takes a long time. The recruiters should set better expectations instead of telling everyone how easy it is to make 100k. It is possible but highly unlikely in your first year which is what they tell us.

The management is great. No complaints in this department.

Great environment! Positivity makes the job!

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing onboarding training! Almost like youre back in college. They really make it so you can not fail. This is definitely worth the risk of hating a desk job. The positive energy helps you everyday. trust the process!

Cons

It is a cold calling job. So you will get down almost everyday, but you gotta pick yourself back up, dont let the negative energy hit you through the phone. keep going, and trust the process

Fun Beginnings

Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Yelp as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

fun work environment, awesome company culture, great opportunity to learn about social media and online advertising

Cons

Taking phone calls for long hours, hard to advance

add more incentives to motivate employees

amazing learning experience, not a career

Former Employee - Account
    Former Employee - Account

I worked at Yelp full-time

Pros

benefits are amazing, free food, GREAT benefits, medical insurance, etc. fun atmosphere, very laid back for a call center. Very easy to meet people and actually have fun when you aren't talking to angry business owners

Cons

it's ultimately a glorified call center, you are making calls ALL day every day to set appointments with decision makers to pitch the advertising program. It's not a bad thing if you don't mind making cold calls and can stay motivated day after day of the same thing. No overtime even though sometimes your manager expects you to be working thru lunch/after hours if you aren't at your quota

if you don't get a decent territory where Yelp is semi popular, you are screwed. once you start doing poorly, it's hard to get back to where you should be.

keep doing what you're doing. Yelp is completely transparent and do care about their employees for the most part.

Good experience, but definitely not for me, but would still recommend to a friend

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Yelp as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Nice and friendly work environment, lovely interior design, and you are allowed to work on nearly anything you want.

Cons

I'm somewhat anti-social and dislike big crowds, which didn't fit well with Yelp's extremely outgoing people. Also Yelp is not a huge cash cow, so there isn't nearly much money to go around compared to Dropbox or Google, although that's not the company's fault. I was paid pretty well for an intern, but I hear that the company's benefits package is weak. It seems much easier to get promoted here than in places like Google, though.

Also SF is expensive.

Love it if you're a competitive sales beast

Current Employee - Elite Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Elite Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at Yelp is amazing for the culture and the people. You are selling a product that is (for the most part) nationally recognized in a highly competitive sales atmosphere. If you thrive in a fast paced, high volume cold calling, commission heavy sales structure, Yelp is for you!

Cons

Mid level management can sometimes be inexperienced, need to work on a more efficient commission structure, big business culture encroaching what used to be a 'start-up' feel office environment. If you are not a top performer (at least 150% of quota monthly) you will not make a lot of money.

Work on commission structure so chargebacks aren't as daunting for employees. More communication between Account Management team and Account Executives.

Great place to start a career, maybe not stay there forever. Good transition between college and a more corporate or professional position.

I have been working at Yelp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Potential for growth, development for possible roles within yelp, fun environment, gym subsidy, full benefits, relocation bonus, fully stocked kitchens, fun events, music during the day, casual attire

Cons

Be on point everyday, selling a product that works really well for some clients but not so much for others, essentially being a glorified telemarketer, unless you're great, you make no money

Hire externally, managers are still too new to be leading large groups (some of them)

Difficult but rewarding.

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

Really great training. Amazing people, and getting a sale is absolutely exhilerating. This job teaches you how to speak with a wide variety of people from very different walks of life. It also helps you build a thicker skin. I came in being a pretty sensitive person, I often took things personally if people were angry or upset. Now I feel so much more confident in myself and my ability to find the root of a problem and build from there.

Cons

It is a lot of cold calling, you get hung up on a lot and people are not always happy to hear from you. It can be a little daunting some days but that goes back to what I said about learning how to let little things go. The business owners aren't mad at you, they get hundreds of calls a day, and are usually passionate about what they do. So yeah, you get people who might say something mean, or harsh, but it is what it is. You can't please everyone.

Be the rock for AE's. There are a lot of outside things going on and it helps when managers are doing more than making sure you hit your numbers.

Really great place to work

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

Amazing corporate culture, very cool people to work with.

Cons

Can at times be structurally confusing.

Keepin on keepin on.