Yelp

Updated 11 December 2014
3.6

Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

Pros
  • Environment is cool, free food all day, young staff (if that's what you're into) (in 36 reviews)

• fun people, dress however you want, unlimited free food and drinks (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Learn to handle difficult conversations with business owners and you'll be ok (in 21 reviews)

• Terrible work/life balance if you care about your job (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Community Management and Marketing

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

The flexibility is amazing - most days I work offsite from lovely cafes. The hours are not fixed - just as long as you get things done.

Cons

Yelp is less structural compared to most companies. Though you still have your seniors supporting you, it's a very self-learning job.

Best entry-level Job you can ask for

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Yelp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

From edgy start-up to one of the coolest companies in tech, Yelp is owning the local search scene around the world making the job WAY easier as time went on - the product/company had a lot more name recognition by the time I left compared to when I started. Culture is awesome, people are awesome, beers are on tap, kitchens stocked with food (not just snacks, you can literally eat breakfast and lunch there), and everyone generally wants to succeed and have a good time. It's hard not to get into it, especially considering you're selling an app that's actually pretty fun and was originally geared toward interesting people who go out a lot. The difference is that people (biz owners and consumers) have a real need for this kinda stuff, so I always felt great about selling it.

Cons

The company is growing aggressively - from just a couple floors when I started to 4 additional floors and a brand new office waiting to get moved into by the time I left, the place definitely churns people in and out. Not necessarily a bad thing but they may want to slow the growth down a bit and concentrate on hiring stellar reps who retain the company culture instead of a bunch of mass hires and clueless drones walking around.

RAISE YOUR BASE SALARY!!! Its actually shocking how little you make when you start (36K will not get you very far in NYC or SF). Commission should start right away like most other sales jobs (not after like 4 months or however long you take to get there). It eventually starts paying competitively to the industry by the time you're there for a year, but still..a year? Just bumping everyone's base up one level would do wonders to the morale of a lot of people who would be happy to do the work otherwise - it's just really hard living in a big expensive city with student loans. Top level execs (like Jeremy the CEO) are known to be stingy - my advice to Jeremy would be to stop concentrating so much money on markets like Germany and Argentina right now and start paying more money to your employee backbone and more attention to your backyard.. Who cares if someone in Brazil knows about Yelp if nobody in Kansas does.. Don't spread yourselves to thin!

One stop shop for any size business

Current Employee - Director of Social Media in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Director of Social Media in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great stable company from A-Z too many pros to name off. Fast paced customer service orientated company designed for any size business.

Cons

Nothing bad to comment about this company. My experience has been all positive and beneficial in all areas inside and out.

Great Job Very Knowledgeable

Yelp is an amazing company. Surprisingly intimate considering how fast it is growing.

Current Employee - Account Executive Sales
    Current Employee - Account Executive Sales

I have been working at Yelp full-time

Pros

Best Sales Training Program in the Bay Area!
    Energetic environment.
    Kind and talented coworkers; some of the brightest around!
    Opportunity for advancement in in sales-team management.
    Opportunity to learn from peers and share ideas.
    Ability to own personal development and work independently while having the support of a team!
    Good benefits.
    Ethical agenda.
    Senior Management hosts meetings monthly with local sales teams to garner feedback. VERY COOL!
    CEO communicates with employees in the form of fun videos.
    Learning and development tools.

Cons

High turn-over due to burnout. You can really feel how the sales environment is about turning and burning employees who might only stick around long enough until it looks good enough on a resume. Turning and burning of territories.
    Low Salary - nearly impossible to balance: rent in (pricy) San Francisco, student loan payments, car payment (should I just sell it), groceries, transportation etc.
    Short sales cycle.
    Less emphasis placed on consultative sales stye, more emphasis placed on steam roll closes.
    Managers not always promoted according merit/coaching abilities, but politics or bottom line sales numbers.
    Lots of Kool-Aid drinking and and pouring by management. Sometimes get the feeling that management is trying to "sell you" on an idea.

Yelp's floor directors are pretty amazing. They seem to know what they are doing and they are willing to help if/when issues arise. They are also up for a cup of coffee if you just want to get to know them!

Not what it's cracked up to be

Current Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay incentives
    Great company culture
    Very intensive training

Cons

Pretty much just cold calls. Gets old FAST

Good but hard

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Yelp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I hear a lot of negative commentary on Yelp's sales org. There's no doubt it's a grind, but if you're willing to put in the effort and maintain a positive attitude, it is worth it. The people are great, the culture is young and fun, the benefits are good (ESPP!) and the beer is plentiful.

Cons

Compensation has changed a lot over the years, but it's still hard to ramp up. The first 6 months were pretty brutal but once you get in a rhythm, it picks up.

Intern

Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Yelp as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Super fun, get to know people at the office. Very young, vibrant company culture.

Cons

The only con I could think of is if you don't like a steady schedule I wouldn't recommend this. Schedule varies depending on events that happen.

Keep it up! I loved having independent projects.

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The office culture was interesting. It was great to have some snacks, drinks, a great coffee bar & happy hour w free beer after work. Coworkers were great! You easily make friends if you're in your 20s (like 90% of the sales floor) & a good number of people moved to San Francisco for the job, so everyone is down to explore!

Although I did not have a good experience with the work, it is a great place to start if you are REALLY interested in INSIDE SALES. You move up quickly if this is the particular career path you're looking for.

Cons

This position is extremely limited for horizontal growth within the company. Your Managers & the leaders of the company do not try to develop you as a whole-person, but rather they are only looking to help you grow within your sales role. Also, they start you at a small wage compared to many companies in the same zip code and lead by motivation with your future commission.

This role is extremely demanding. Their expectations are high (in a bad way) & want you to become numb to your work. The company values seem to purely be about growth, money & revenue. This was a sad realization because I really did love the product before I started working here. I will continue to support it, but with an awareness of how the company works. Sales employees are as replaceable as the paper printout of your name.

I believe you should motivate more with having employees believe in the product, not just the money side of the job.

Account Executive

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

The office is very fun.

Cons

Cold calling is a drag.

Great environment! Positivity makes the job!

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing onboarding training! Almost like youre back in college. They really make it so you can not fail. This is definitely worth the risk of hating a desk job. The positive energy helps you everyday. trust the process!

Cons

It is a cold calling job. So you will get down almost everyday, but you gotta pick yourself back up, dont let the negative energy hit you through the phone. keep going, and trust the process