Zara Reviews

499 reviews filtered by
2.9
Zara First Deputy Chairman and CEO Inditex Pablo Isla Álvarez de Tejera
Pablo Isla Álvarez de Tejera

Pros
  • Multitasking, fast paced enviroment, international experience (in 22 reviews)

• people are nice good pay and its good for students who just want spare pocket money and part time (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Necessity to wait three months until you can get your employee discount and uniform (in 31 reviews)

• 15% discount does not allow for an affordable way to consistently represent the brand (in 28 reviews)

1. Hard work

I worked at Zara full-time

Pros

opportunities to advance if you're willing put up with all the drama
    nice clothes
    okay discount
    uniform provided

Cons

gossip among co-workers and management
    high turnover rate
    short breaks
    no tea room (have to sit on the floor)
    cancel a shift and risk not getting many shifts next time

2. friendly

Current Contractor - Cashier
    Current Contractor - Cashier

I have been working at Zara as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

.friendly staff
    .awesome product
    .great company if wanting to expand.

Cons

management can be be quite snobby, tending to pick favourites and belittling others

Advice to Management

learn to not treat work like high school

3. good job to learn the basics

I worked at Zara

Pros

they give plenty of shifts

Cons

it is challenging and busy always

5. Worst than expected.

Current Employee - Sales/Sock Associate in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Sales/Sock Associate in Melbourne

I have been working at Zara

Pros

- There are wonderful staff that you get to meet

Cons

- uniforms don't ever get ordered in
    - terrible management. Staff would be bombarded with tasks by managers and given a unachievable time target to complete the tasks
    - most staff hate their job and it creates a negative vibe in the work place
    - constant gossiping within staff
    - hours are absolutely terrible
    - staff must arrive 10 minutes early before their shifts to attend this useless meeting which is unpaid and if you're late by just 30 seconds then you'll get in big trouble.
    - having to wait 3 months into your employment to only receive a 15% staff discount
    - if you want to have a miserable life and surround yourself in a negative environment where no one is happy then by all means work for zara.

Advice to Management

Go eff yourself

6. The worst job experience, do not apply

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sydney
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sydney

I worked at Zara (Less than a year)

Pros

Situated in Westfield, Ptt St, so good surroundings for lunch etc.
    Some friendly co-workers.

Cons

The rudest, most unfriendly management team I have ever experienced. They hardly know the names of their employees and regularly speak to them in a way unimaginable in a workplace. I was actually yelled at by a manager I'd never spoken to before for not getting my bag checked 2 months in, when I had never been asked to have it checked before. I couldn't believe this manager thought that was an appropriate way to speak to another human, especially in the workplace. I was frequently interrupted whilst with a CUSTOMER by another manager demanding I do something else - no idea how this constitutes any type of customer service, and it was extremely embarrassing.

Random figures from HR would regularly be in the store checking up on appearance and uniform. This is fair enough but they have no idea how to do their job well and speak to employees like schoolchildren. It was actually quite funny at times.

Extremely unorganised with rosters and shifts. Regularly change rosters without informing employees (ridiculous if you've been off for a few days and it isn't emailed to you). During shifts the management is a joke, most of the time they don't have a clue what they're doing and change your role constantly.

The micromanagement system is ridiculous, with so many unnecessary tiers and roles. There are way too many people thinking they can give instructions, and the constant miscommunication means there is so much contradiction in requests it results in employees just deciding what they would rather do, and many jobs getting left undone. Staff can be really demotivated because of how they are treated, and this reflects badly on the store.

Some employees applied for the role and accepted it under the impression there would be room for growth. There is only room for growth for favourites, and the entire place is extremely cliquey. Don't apply with the expectation of becoming anything other than your initial position, I'm sure there are other companies which will help and want you to develop much quicker.

Advice to Management

Being told to 'work quicker' when the store is extremely understaffed is incredibly de-motivating, and being constantly spoken down to does not make your employees want to do a good job. Don't be rude to your employees regardless of the high turnover - they are still there to do their job and don't expect to be treated like robots.

Don't decide you want to be a manager just because you like the idea of bossing people around - it takes a lot more than this and acting in this way does not gain good results.

Constantly apologising for faulty products gets tiring - the quality of clothes compared to the pricing in Australia is absurd. This should really be relayed back to central management in Europe.

7. Please don't leave your 2-star job for a job at Zara.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gold Coast
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gold Coast

I have been working at Zara

Pros

90% of staff mates are wonderful. Products are maybe more fashionable than about 50% of the Australian retail landscape.

Cons

50% of management are immature and incompetent. 10% of staff badmouth others as though this is a game of "survivor". The head managers spend most of their day "working" in the back room so they have no idea what is actually happening in the store.

Advice to Management

Head office really need to manage the store managers. The store managers act inappropriately on a daily basis running the brand and staff into the ground. Most toxic workplace I have ever experienced (sadly created/encouraged by management).

8. There are better places to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I have been working at Zara full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced environment
    Staff are friendly
    Managers respect staff members
    Got to be apart of 2 store openings which was a great experience
    Room to move up in company when expression of interest made
    Get to see all the new stock each week which is exciting if you love fast fashion

Cons

HR is very young and would rather party with staff members instead of addressing staff needs
    Very disorganised management
    Quality of clothing is very poor therefore about 70% of our days are processing returns on faulty garments and scanning out Taras
    HR felt it was reasonable to change rosters including allocated days off at last minute on a constant basis
    Opportunity to move up only given to staff that socialise with managers and HR outside of work which is unfair to others that do the job better than those that get the opportunities
    Rosters don't get sent to staff, the excuse for why they only get posted outside the lockers is that they are likely to be changed
    High staff turnover, majority of people I was hired with have quit or been fired-it has only been 4 months since we were hired
    Bad discount, only 15% and casuals get no discounts even though we work harder than we should for the average wage we get
    I had a legitimate excuse for only being able to work certain hours a day for a few weeks and instead of working around my needs HR chose to ignore them and not talk about it except to suggest making me a casual even though "they can't guarantee casuals shifts" when I'm one of the most reliable staff they have, I ended up working the full length shift against hospital orders due to their ignore it and it will go away attitude

Advice to Management

Rosters should be emailed out to staff and not be changed!
    Focus on work level of all staff before choosing coordinators, leaders etc

9. Regret taking the job

Current Employee - Full Time Sales Assistant in Brisbane
    Current Employee - Full Time Sales Assistant in Brisbane

I have been working at Zara full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opening the store - opening day was fast paced, exciting and fun

Cons

Management play favourites, favouritism based on best personality and not work quality.
    HR hired mass amount of staff for opening and promised all casuals 15+ hours a week then when initial hype and buzz died have out 3 hrs to majority of casuals, leaving them no choice but to find new jobs. (Many believe they knew his would be the case on hiring)
    Power struggles and cliquey groups established through management giving desirable jobs (replen) to favourite staff staff. This caused the favourites to believe they had more authority/more important then other staff and became very condescending.
    Stock in store was below average quality and completely wrong season! (Leftovers from European Zara) customers often commented on/complained about this.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your staff! Give everyone a fair chance.

pack of female dogs

I worked at Zara

Pros

uniform provided
    casual rate is pretty good
    the actual work is set out well

Cons

management and supervisors --> i have never seen so many managers and supervisors that were so bitchy. its like the movie mean girls, they play favorites, throw others under the bus to get what they need. they also discriminate against other employee who was not well. i was shocked that such a toxic workplace exists
    no discount at all

No future, not worth working here, don't waste your time being a robot!

Former Employee - Sales Assistant + Cashier in Sydney
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant + Cashier in Sydney

I worked at Zara full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

> Some workmates are fun and nice, can meet lots of people
    >Uniform provided

Cons

> Management/Head office are VERY VERY unprofessional, treat employees like robots, they do not even reply to your emails
    > Management/head office are VERY unorganized, roster changes ALL the TIME, no communication between store managers and head office management
    > roster comes out very last minute
    > Dirty/dusty conditions (huge amount of clothes are returned and it's very unhygienic)
    > No Penalty rates for FULL TIMERS
    > No incentives
    > Only one saturday off a month, no work life balance
    > Same routine jobs day in and out, learn nothing new
    >NO proper training, some are not even keen to teach you
    > Terrible return policy
    > Some managers/leaders aren't even happy to do their job, lack of motivation
    > High operations of management are VERY rude, they do not even greet their employees let alone customers! Very unprofessional.
    = Huge staff turnover due to all these factors above!

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect and not like robots then employees might actually be inclined to stay longer and want to work for you. Spend proper training and time with employees and handle situations with more profession, store management should also be trained and evaluated as a lot of them do not even know how to do their jobs properly/do not even want to do their jobs properly, perhaps not even happy with their role. Practice what you preach!