Zep

Add Photos

Zep Chairman, President, and CEO John K. Morgan

John K. Morgan

Going downhill rapidly

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) DeSoto, TX (US)

ProsIt's a paycheck. I've had worse jobs, but I've also had better. Hours are reasonable and run 6-2:30pm so you miss out on the crazy Dallas rush hour traffic. Benefits are decent once corporate makes up their mind whether or not they want to hire you (6 months to more than a year).

ConsManagement doesn't give a damn about anything besides covering their own butts when they mess up. No one takes responsibility for their own actions, including the CEO, so all meetings turn into blame games where nothing of worth gets done. Headquarters in Atlanta doesn't like to stoop down and communicate any information to other plants and acts like any question about processes or clarification is a complete and utter waste of their time. Corporate refuses to spend money investing in any other location other than Atlanta so the rest of the plants have been forced to meet ridiculously high standards set by Atlanta (that they don't even follow themselves; they've gotten in trouble with the EPA several times). If you're a woman, DO NOT work in production. This is a blatantly sexist company with very few women anywhere, and the male employees love to make comments about nagging, psychotic, useless womenfolk who just get in the way. Complaints to HR go nowhere; the complainant is accused of starting the harassment in the first place. No room for advancement at Zep either.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the "Do as I say, not as I do" attitude. Quit treating your employees as stupid children that need to be supervised at all times and get upset when employees lie about what's actually going on in the company when every "state of the company" address is a bunch of lies about how great everything is going. We're not stupid; business has dropped severely in the past year due to overall incompetence. The pervasive "It's not my fault" attitude is turning the whole company apathetic and looking to bail at the first chance.

Professional environment with potential for advancement especially in Atlanta

Branch Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFair pay, good communication with mgmt, team approach at all levels, advancement opportunities in Atlanta especially and if willing to relocate. Unlimited potential in sales

ConsIt is difficult for sales reps without a book of business to make it at Zep on the pay structure unless their is strong spouse support while a rep builds his/her business.

Advice to Senior ManagementA more structured sales rep training program would be helpful. There is not enough criteria used in hiring new reps. It seems as though the process is to throw as many people against the wall and see what sticks.

Disorganization

Credit (Former Employee)

Prosnot a bad place to work in the beginning

Consunrealistic goals on all level of accounts receivable making the group more collectors than account managers
    Cliquish management

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A difficult place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsProud history of success, challenges that provide great opportunities to learn, and recognized products

Conssome people make it very difficult to get things done.

Working under the Sword of Damocles

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe products sold are of good quality and have consumer appeal.

ConsHuman beings and their lives are mere commodities to be bought and sold by a soulless upper management. I lost count years ago of the constant layoffs. This company will layoff staff from the top to the bottom, often in waves. It then begins the rehiring process sometimes within a week of the layoffs. The turn around at this company is beyond staggering. When working for Zep, your every waking hour involves wondering when your pink slip is coming. How much more successful could this company be if upper management had even a tiny molecule of respect and empathy for its work force. This company sells cleaners, and in kind, it performs a "cleansing" of its workforce every six months or so.

And everyone is expendable. The ownership and upper management at Zep has changed hands as many times as the position of Plant Manager. Every change brings about a complete disruption of this company's business plan, products, ideas and even the corporate culture. And of course, every change in this regard brings about ... you guessed it ... the next round of layoffs/rehirings. Ah, a new round of "cleansing." The mighty sword gleaming above your head.

And each time the ownership/management changes, both management and company are degraded still further. There was a time when the owners/managers of Zep and the various companies it has swallowed up were top quality people with vision, brilliance, insight and most importantly, character. It was a fine place to work with loyal, long-term employees that built this business into the powerhouse that new ownership/management is fumbling so hard to destroy.

Advice to Senior ManagementAre you commodities? You're not? You sure? Well, guess what, neither is that line worker out there. When your staff is treated as a commodity, you wont be selling the commodities that you manufacture for long.

Management Consulting firms ex-employees give you this?

Outsides Sales Representative (Former Employee) Birmingham, AL (US)

ProsOnce an historic firm. Wonderful pdts. Nice lab personnel.

ConsBiggest issue this firm, like so many have had happened to them, is hiring debunked former Management Consulting industry people. They are clueless in actually running a business. Oh they're ok at their old employer?, but transferring their talents to the real world is near impossible. Lie to employees. Horrendous inflated shipping charges to clients and Zep's own sales force. From distributors, warehouse member types, inside sales and dumping your own different sales brands reps into an actual Zep Rep's territory are morally deflating - as in the "throw it against the wall" syndrome. All the top tier management cares about is what's in my pocket, after the reps have an actual blood-letting among themselves -> mgm't cares zilch about who is left standing in a territory, I want mine. All this stems from the top jocks knowing next to nothing about literal sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementExtremely poor at the very top then the poor filters down and eventually ALL employees know cut throat force reductions occur, simply because bosses could only sell themselves to Directors, et al to get their positions - they cannot sell ice in the summertime. It does no good to advise mgm't of anything. Directors and stakeholders look at bottom lines and they run the roost. Such a shame the careers mgm't causes employees to shed.

decent place to gain experience

Prosmet some nice people made a few friends......also a few enemies

Conssupervisors could care less of what is going on they are lazy and some very racist against employees

The story changes once you are inside.

ProsYou get a good start at Zep. But start looking for a job after a year if you want to further your career.

ConsAfter the first couple of years, if you last that long, things go down hill. You find out there is no such thing as a career path. Yes there are people here with longevity, but they have been in the same position for 5, even 10 years. You have to work under constant pressure of being laid off. Zep operates in a continual cycle of layoffs. Its not that the managers are totally incompetent, they are afraid to do their jobs because they are also expendable. The executives WILL get their bonuses and they don't care what they have to do to get them.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind some other ways to manage your expenses and fund your bonuses other than at the costs of your employees. And how about sharing those bonuses with the rest of us.

Outside Sales Representative

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsVery flexible work schedule. Decent, but expensive benefits.

ConsNo formal training on products and services.
    Very little communication from management.
    100% commission after training period ends.
    Very difficult to earn a decent paycheck without having existing business contacts.
    If a new rep inherits accounts, they do not receive 100% commissions on future sales for those accounts.
    Since it is industry standard to provide customers with dispensing equipment, the cost of the equipment is deducted from a reps commissions if customers will not buy equipment.
    No reimbursement for any business expense.
    Zep has flooded the market with its products through internet suppliers, wholesale distributors, and big box retailers.
    Excessive shipping charges for customers.
    High order minimum for customers ($150). If this minimum is not met, commissions on that order are reduced.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop looking for additional channels to get products to market, you are taking customers away from reps that rely on that income.
    Work to reduce excessive shipping charges for customers. Customers cannot afford to pay in excess of $80 in shipping charges for products.
    Start investing in training for your reps. If a rep asks for training; give it to him/her.
    Start reimbursing reps for expenses, which is standard practice in your industry.

Good experience initially 10 years ago but management changing

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

Prosit is a 100 percent commission job.

Consno stability with management changing on regular basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with a business plan and stick to it.

Worked for Zep? Contribute to the Community!