Zynga

Zynga Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick

Don Mattrick

Pros
  • Free food and snacks are good and did offset some of the salary cut the pre-ipo hired took(in 52 reviews)

• Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays(in 40 reviews)

• Low morale coupled with long hours at my studio(in 25 reviews)

Terrible culture, terrible people and a terrible product

QA Analyst I (Former Employee)

ProsFree food. Lots of cute puppies around.

ConsWhere to start? Upper management is inept. Games are clones of clones (well done clones, but still). Original thought is not wanted nor needed. Terrible terrible place to work at. The company has been suffering some serious brain drain over the past 3 years as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementWomen and children first. bail sailors, bail bail bail.

Hard, but fun...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood people, you learn a lot, and perks are good, but diminishing over time.

ConsManagement is kinda hit or miss, a lot of missed opportunities, some cronyism at the higher levels

Advice to Senior ManagementMeritocracy means not just taking care of your favorites...it means taking care of the best

Great People, Poor Management

Lead Game Designer (Current Employee)

ProsGreat Benefits (food, healthcare, fitness) and great employees (the people who are actually making the games)

ConsManagement at the team level is sadly terrible. The group of GMs and high level managers that have remained with Zynga are still trying to use strategies from 2008 to determine how to move forward in a completely different game market.

I have never worked for a more cliquey company in my entire career. I have watched people with little to no experience be promoted to senior and lead positions simply because they had worked with a particular manager on another project. I shouldn't have to hold a "senior" anyone's hand when using Microsoft Word or Perforce.

Some long-term Zyngites seem oblivious to the troubles the company has had. The frequency in which I heard people brush off layoffs and other cuts in a nonchalant, casual manner was disturbing.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen a team has three creative directors but no one to actually implement the vision then perhaps it is time to rethink the org chart.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Got too political

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThe company had a great culture and great benefits. Was there 3+ years and during its best years it was energetic and exciting (those days are no longer).

ConsPolitics, Inappropriate Managerial Level Ups, too much focus on quick-win Quarterly OKR achievement and the premium placed on quarterly level-ups made longer term planning impossible and irrelevant. Also, I watched first-hand, decisions made which hurt their customers in order to squeeze an extra $.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's a marathon not a sprint.

Was an amazing ride... until.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI was one of the first 300 employees and was upwardly mobile for quite sometime
    Bonuses, perks galore, travel, stocks as hiring bonus....

...(which split 4 times)

ConsNever got the raise and the title I was promised once they went public!
    I was told that because I had real stock then that was considered against my wage and that I should feel lucky! It was a hiring bonus in lieu of not being paid market!!!! Disgruntled

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement at Zynga was like a revolving door of Egotistical jerks after my original manager left.
    IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T CONTINUE TO TRY AND FIX IT!!!!

Loved it! Great coworkers-Lots of talent.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat games, Free food, bonuses, gym

ConsUpper management treats employees like they are numbers. You never know when your project will get cut and you are out of a job-- no matter how good you are.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalent and people are HUGE assets. Respect them, they are not mere numbers. They are what drive the company.

Great place thats needs a little more direction

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsSmart bright people willing to execute and push hard to deliver on time.

ConsManagement leadership is lacking due to experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire industry veterans to drive the very capable engineering staff.

Fun and frustrating place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsCompetitive compensation, excellent food, talented co-workers, rapid knowledge sharing and potential for great opportunities made this an amazing job overall.

Consthe few downsides were - meritocracy was broken from the perspective of an employee that endured a tough work life balance on multiple projects without much opportunity for advancement. Painful to watch executive management during my time there. Products that lacked originality in more than one case. Team direction pivoted so much it was often hard to move forward - ironic because it really was a fast paced environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focusing on franchises but go after a truly original and innovative game idea every once in a while.

Pretty okay but could be better

QA Engineer (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

Pros- Free lunches and food
    - Fast paced enviroment
    - Good people

Cons- Lots of company politics
    - Not very stable business model

Advice to Senior ManagementNot sure there is much to say here. Zynga is built on free-to-play which to me is not a long term business model.

Meh...

Executive Producer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGreat comp, and RSUs are great.

ConsManagement is continually "pivoting" and doesn't seem to know what direction to go in

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the people you have hired, you have some amazing EPs and GMs and then you completely hamstring them with a craptacular new IP process, and no ability to innovate.

Worked for Zynga? Contribute to the Community!