Zynga

www.zynga.com
Profile Unclaimed

woo hoo

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

fun place to work at

Cons

only give promotions to top producers.

reward the peons too.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Zynga

Pros

Smart people, good salaries and benefits, flexible and friendly

Cons

Still a young growing company

When I worked there it was a great place to work. Just not as challenging and motivating as it used to be.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Good work/life balance, lots of perks, resonable PTO policy.

Cons

Redirecting and pivoting led to burnout on projects

Use small motivated teams to build products they care about

No concern for support staff

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Free food was pretty good

Cons

Worked as IT Support. Despite on boarding up to 200 people a week during my time, only 3 other hires were made for the support team. A total of 12 people. Management didn't care. No way to advance. I was explicitly told that there was no way to move to a different team and if I was unhappy to look elsewhere for a job. I did. Much happier now.

Wasn't always a great job, but they're a great employer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Two meals were catered every day, and special care was taken to accommodate anyone's dietary restrictions.

I worked in a room full of very experienced game developers from all walks of the industry, including a few legends from my childhood.

For the most part, everyone was friendly, helpful, and invested in helping you succeed. Even when the whole team is stuck in the office because your update keeps failing QA at midnight, they come to you to see how they can help, rather than complaining.

Zynga offers unlimited/untracked PTO for vacations and sick leave. Their official vacation policy was "You should probably take some." In an industry notorious for working developers to death, Zynga producers were known for pulling people aside and telling them to go away for a week or two for a vacation. And if a producer asks you to stay late to finish something, they'll sometimes offer you a day or two off in exchange. The whole office basically shuts down from before christmas through the new year.

Cons

Not a lot of original IP or creativity, in some aspects of their games. Also, the product managers are making game design decisions based solely on market statistics.

Try to keep on top of bonuses and and leveling up for your teams.

Baffling place to work

Former Employee - Senior Artist
    Former Employee - Senior Artist

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great health benefits
    "Free" breakfast, lunch & dinner
    Cool building
    New leadership (Mattrick) seems to know what it's doing and has implemented a plan to re-focus the company on it's core strengths before branching out into new territory. Upper management structure was also streamlined, removing unnecessary layers, etc.

Cons

Pay for artists is on the low side

Project level leadership is fickle at best. Project / design leaders frequently jump-ship to other projects that better suit their short term survival instincts, leaving the previous project in limbo until a new project/design leader steps in. The new leader invariably must leave his/her own stamp on the project so a re-design usually follows. Artists are constantly being shuffled from project to project.

Dog policy encourages many employees to become new dog owners. Many un-socialized and un-trained dogs roam around the office, barking, whining, peeing and pooing. Combined with the open floor plan, the racket is on par with Grand Central or JFK during the holidays.

Focus on your project leads, encourage or enforce a little more discipline and commitment. Your project and design leaders need to stick with it and see their projects through to launch. Invest more heavily in pre-production game design and prototyping. Stop second guessing your seasoned veterans (those few who are still there).

A Dysfunctional Step Towards Better Pastures

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Zynga as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

+ If you can successfully do your job here, you can probably successfully do your job anywhere
    + Doglovers' paradise
    + Baristas at the free espresso bar were basically wizards of their craft
    + Actually, the entire culinary team is incredible. Eat their food any chance you get, especially the snacks made in-house: pickles, coconut granola, beef jerky, ice cream, etc. Stuff it in your bag, fill your cheeks with it like a deranged hamster. Their food is so good.
    + Actually actually, the entire facilities team is stupendous! Do you know how hard it is to keep a place as huge as Zynga is clean, secure, and running smoothly? Facilities staff are the unsung heroes of this story, guys.
    + Convenient free shuttles to BART, Caltrain, and down the Peninsula
    + I loved my team. LOVED. Greatest group of people I've ever worked with. Sadly, I'm not evaluating them; I'm evaluating the company.

Cons

Look, this place is what it is: a stepping stone; a place to refine one's skills in the fire before heading out for that real dream job - and they know it. The turnover/attrition rate here is unbelievably high - if you've worked at Zynga for a year, you've done some serious time. The recruiting team tries to keep the staffing numbers up and oftentimes relies on bringing in non-local candidates. Zynga's rep in the Bay Area has been torched so badly, the local workforce (and those who are tuned into the goings on of the tech and gaming industries) know to stay away. So we look out-of-state, for candidates who want to move to the Bay Area and just need a way in. Once they get here, work a couple of months and find a place to live, they get the hell out and into a more reputable company.

I was a contractor for them. A good portion of the "expendable" workers (aka: anyone not a software engineer) are. That way, once leadership looks at its quarterly/EOY reports and decides that it's been bleeding money and needs to tighten up, it's easy to sweep out the chaff, without needing to go through the fuss of actually laying off FT employees and paying severance. My boss had no notice that me and four of my coworkers were going to be cut; she had no say in who was going to be cut.

As a contractor, I was also sometimes on the outside looking in: I couldn't attend the company holiday party unless I was a FTE's +1, I wasn't allowed to use the (awesome) company gym, and I got none of the supposedly-lovely benefits and generous vacation policy. That's pretty standard for contractor work, I guess. I'm just spoiled and grumping about that.

Leadership: I know you know that Zynga is dysfunctional and broken. I know you know your reputation. Why do you continually ignore the fact that you're bleeding out? I was here for a short time, in a limited capacity. If I couldn't even really see the leaders trying to lead, how is the public supposed to see it?

Assess and address your apathetic and disillusioned workforce and commit to being strong and honest leaders. Don't perform triage anymore; you're beyond that stage and you know it.

Terrible culture

Former Employee - QE Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - QE Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

+ Rich in benefits. free massages. free food. free coffee
    + unlimited vacation policy
    + Be you own CEO (you plan and execute). You get to learn alot on your own and learn what you are truly made of.
    + quarterly reviews and bonuses

Cons

- Upper management takes 0% blames, 200% credits - that's because they provide no directions. they rely you to be CEO. when things fail, you are at fault. When things succeed, somehow, one of the execs will proudly take your MVP and level-ups. go figure.
    - Terrible central QA team - they don't know what they are doing. terrible unskilled directors/managers lead to terrible QA team. doesn't understand the meaning of QA. can't deliver.
    - discussion making solely on data. no brains usage. which led to poor planning (kill and launch the wrong games).

Upper management needs to play more their zynga games. be a customer and feel the product. if you don't like the game, what makes your customers like your games.

Sink or swim

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good infrastructure, facilities and perks.
    Smart People
    Excellent food (3 meals per day)
    Good promotions / career trajectory if you fit

Cons

Downward trajectory - don't see Zynga recovering former glories
    Tough work-life balance (although I hear it has improved)
    Easy to stagnate if you don't succeed or fit the mould
    Frequent team changes

Become scrappy - release games frequently (Not necessarily the highest quality)

Mismanagement, too many levels of upper execs with too many opinions interfering with product.

Former Employee - Senior Artist in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Artist in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Free food, complimentary gym, other perks.

Cons

Management, producer to game developer ratio is insane, definitive example of too many cooks in the kitchen.

You don't need 4 managers per employee.