Zynga

Zynga Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick

Don Mattrick

Pros
  • Free food and snacks are good and did offset some of the salary cut the pre-ipo hired took (in 52 reviews)

• Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays (in 40 reviews)

• Low morale coupled with long hours at my studio (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Not for everyone, but has been great for me

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsMy current team is awesome. The company cut a lot of the fat (not all) and I landed on a team with veterans from the game industry. Benefits are great: food, beverages, gym, showers, and team offsites. Time-off is flexible as long as employees work it out with their team for full timers. Compensation has been restructured - it's way more fair than before and teams that haven't launched or who do not create games have compensation opportunities. My work life balance is perfect right now (although it wasn't always that way). Most importantly, the management on my team is AMAZING. My boss is the best I've ever had and is helping me grow in my career as a game maker (not just a Zynga employee).

ConsGoing from start up to a corporate game company was very rough for everyone we've been through a lot of growing pains. When I started, much of the management was very young and inexperienced so they didn't know how to make the transition work. We are still recovering from teams being run by business people and not by game makers who understand the business (albeit it is improving). We lost some great talent from the layoffs, but tbh, many would have left anyway. Several people that have left have moved from start up to start up and get nostalgic about this place, so it really depends on an individuals experience. While some managers are amazing, there are still others that are terrible (but with a company this large, of course it isn't perfect, even though there is no excuse for it). Zynga is a great place to be or the worst depending on who's POV you ask.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more autonomy and ownership to your teams. Focus on making fun games FIRST and then layer on the money making levers second. People will buy a great game for it's intrinsic value. Enforce personal growth opportunities and be okay with employees who just want to kick butt in their current level of work, AND reward them both.

Zynga - room of growth if management execute it right!

Product Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsBenefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner.

ConsManagement is in the midst of course correction...poor communication from the top is not inspiring confidence. Office politics is affecting and preventing work from getting done right.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are your greatest asset.

Great experience, but

ProsGreat benefits, flexible time-offs, flexible hours.

ConsTerrible work-life balance. For about 2 years all I've done was work non-stop because there was no other way around it. Meritocracy doesn't really work when everyone is competing against each other and we all end up burning out with little rewards.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are many workers who have poor management, and therefore no matter how hard they work they are never acknowledged. Management needs to be a bit more on top of looking after the people working for them such as promotions and quarterly goals. Things have gotten much too unorganized due to some people having unsure goals, or no goals to strive for and achieve.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor discusting

Prosno one sorry no compensation want of ever no - coworker experiences

Conswake up early for low money

Advice to Senior Managementkeep your self in college

Very bad, immature company.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThere really isn't a lot to say here, unfortunately.

ConsVery poor culture, talent, operations, and executive staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementReset everything. Great choice to remove Pincus.

The bubble has burst on this place

Prosused to be a great place to work with lots of added benefits. these days employees don't get bonuses, christmas parties or offsites like we used to

Conslack of appreciation for employees
    "be glad you have a job" atmosphere
    increased workload due to massive rounds of layoffs

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your sh*t together. Appreciate the talent that you have and start compensating them well.

Analytics first, games second

Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsOn site gym, decent free lunches, smart employees, well-structured teams, solid compensation

Conszero passion for games, some problems with work life balance, constant barking

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're a games company. Keep your focus on metrics, but hire some people who have a passion for games, not just money.

Fast paced with opportunity for growth

Intern (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsTons of opportunity for advancement. Amazing perks and a great work balance for the most part. Fun product with great coworkers.

ConsLack of clear direction from upper management. There seems to be company wide reorgs every other month which greatly affect culture and company direction

Good learning experience but ruined by under qualified middle management.

Art Director (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsLots of great perks like free lunch, dinners, gym membership and snacks. Lots of talented people.

ConsGame company that puts very little emphasis on fun and long term good of the game. Too many under qualified & experienced middle managers who does not know how to manage.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing in a company for long time does not automatically make them a good manager.

Good place to work, bad place to grow

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork is challenging and fun, learns a lot. Team is fun and friendly.

ConsManagement and decision making becomes horrible after the company is going down and desperately looking for a way out. Lots of talented people left.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so political.

Worked for Zynga? Contribute to the Community!