Zynga Reviews

Updated 13 September 2014
Updated 13 September 2014

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick
Don Mattrick

Pros
  • Free food and snacks are good and did offset some of the salary cut the pre-ipo hired took (in 52 reviews)

• Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays (in 40 reviews)

• Low morale coupled with long hours at my studio (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Getting much better

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, new leadership with a plan, lots of opportunity, good work-life balance with necessary crunch times, agile and experienced teams to collaborate with.

Cons

Still some uncertainty, data driven tactics limit creative risks

Focus on a clear roadmap and stick to it. Give employees stability. Foster an "I could retire here" feeling to stand out in the industry and attract top veteran talent.

a good company for you to level up your skills

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I have been working at Zynga full-time

Pros

the work environment is comparably good
    people you're working with are nice & smart
    you're free to learn more in whatever internal area you're interested

Cons

strategy is not correct & speedy enough
    too many titles have been cut in creation
    less opportunities for you to level up in some divisions

allow employees to gain more personal growth

Clueless Monster

Current Employee - Customer Service Lead
    Current Employee - Customer Service Lead

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A gaming giant inevitably - Who can forget FarmVille? Who doesn't know Country Escape?

Cons

Recently it all came down to money. If it generates money - Retain. If it doesn't - Close. Politics is everywhere but for sure in this place its very intense. Meritocracy applies for favorites, not for performers. Most, if not all managers are clueless on what and how the frontliners are doing. They are merely email respondents telling to follow up a request.

Get some people from your other sites and or BPO partners! Learn how to appreciate and retain talent and value them!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good for chilling out , no technical work

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Zynga full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome , i think ultimate food
    Good amount of Swags
    Good Salary(Initially when you join)
    Extra curriculars

Cons

Non Technical work , only copy paste(Atleast in India center)
    Pathetic or no salary hikes

When you hire people for Bangalore center , tell them exactly what they have to do , I have seen your HRs just making them speak with some people who will tell them lies about work just to make join. This should not be happening.

Senior management makes decisions based on what is best for investor not player or employee!

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time

Pros

Relatively high comp for gaming but lower end compared to other tech companies.

Food is good. Facilities people are super friendly!

Cons

Very top heavy in certain studios where little gets done since everyone wants his/her voice heard.

Terrible work/life balance.

Short-term decisions made before end of each quarter to drive revenue. Some of these decisions were not beneficial to the game in the long-term.

My studio was super cliquey: if you didn't suck up to the GM or senior people, consider yourself a layoffs target despite good performance.

Layoffs in January were done unthought fully - purely to let investors know we are cutting costs and yet started to hire for the roles right away. Many of the individuals cut were some of the most talented employees we had!

Sooner or later, Wall Street will see that you are simply just checking off all the boxes to lift stock prices in the short term.

Not for everyone, but has been great for me

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My current team is awesome. The company cut a lot of the fat (not all) and I landed on a team with veterans from the game industry. Benefits are great: food, beverages, gym, showers, and team offsites. Time-off is flexible as long as employees work it out with their team for full timers. Compensation has been restructured - it's way more fair than before and teams that haven't launched or who do not create games have compensation opportunities. My work life balance is perfect right now (although it wasn't always that way). Most importantly, the management on my team is AMAZING. My boss is the best I've ever had and is helping me grow in my career as a game maker (not just a Zynga employee).

Cons

Going from start up to a corporate game company was very rough for everyone we've been through a lot of growing pains. When I started, much of the management was very young and inexperienced so they didn't know how to make the transition work. We are still recovering from teams being run by business people and not by game makers who understand the business (albeit it is improving). We lost some great talent from the layoffs, but tbh, many would have left anyway. Several people that have left have moved from start up to start up and get nostalgic about this place, so it really depends on an individuals experience. While some managers are amazing, there are still others that are terrible (but with a company this large, of course it isn't perfect, even though there is no excuse for it). Zynga is a great place to be or the worst depending on who's POV you ask.

Give more autonomy and ownership to your teams. Focus on making fun games FIRST and then layer on the money making levers second. People will buy a great game for it's intrinsic value. Enforce personal growth opportunities and be okay with employees who just want to kick butt in their current level of work, AND reward them both.

The perks make people stay longer than they should

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Pros

The perks!

- Free breakfast, lunch and dinner
    - Dogs allowed
    - Game room, movie theater, stocked bar, quarterly parties

Cons

Management needs a facelift. They throw people into C level management because of their list of companies they've worked at not because of their capabilities.

Great company to work!

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome work culture with full of fun. Benefits are great: food, beverages, gym.

Cons

Zynga - room of growth if management execute it right!

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zynga for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Cons

Management is in the midst of course correction...poor communication from the top is not inspiring confidence. Office politics is affecting and preventing work from getting done right.

Your employees are your greatest asset.

Analytics first, games second

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time for less than a year

Pros

On site gym, decent free lunches, smart employees, well-structured teams, solid compensation

Cons

zero passion for games, some problems with work life balance, constant barking

You're a games company. Keep your focus on metrics, but hire some people who have a passion for games, not just money.

Worked for Zynga? Contribute to the Community!