alliantgroup, LP Reviews

Updated 25 April 2015
170 reviews filtered by
3.3
Dhaval R. Jadav

Pros
  • They also entice people with free food and being able to wear jeans (in 14 reviews)

• I have never worked for a company where hard work was so often recognized and rewarded (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Management could be a lot better, high-turnover, no work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

• tax season with so many people leaving and too much work to distribute (in 26 reviews)

I don't know what I would do without this job

Current Employee - Associate Director in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I hear daily of people being laid off or their company is closing and here we are growing by leaps and bounds. I am thankful for the stability and consistent growth of my company. The opportunity I have for personal development is endless, I appreciate the time they take to educate you in our unique business, the brilliant people that I get to work with everyday and the laughter make the days fly by.

Cons

I wish I knew more people that I could recommend to fill the positions we have open.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, its contagious!! I respect how hard you work to consistently make this a better place to work.

Breath of fresh air....

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The title of this review says it all. Coming from a very large organization where everything was extremely hierarchical and formal it is an absolute pleasure to work at a company that focuses on employee investment. I was told in my interview to be active and seek what you want..and I'm here to say that the company has been true to its word. the only way to advance at my prior employer was if someone retired. This company focuses on performance not time and tenure.

Cons

Want more company swag to wear. On a serious side, don't take the foot off the gas...keep pushing me and others.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in us

Some of these reviews crack me up

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone at alliantgroup is not equal. If you take care of business, you are exceptionally well paid and treated. Motivated energetic people who care about their careers embrace this as a positive. If you think this is a negative you are not a fit. Salaries and compensation are impressive with contests that have huge prizes. The company emphasizes its culture because the core values of that culture have caused the company to skyrocket. As long as I have been here, we have had a ton of job openings because the growth is so crazy. Not many companies can say that. The food and relaxed dress are nice, but not a reason to pick a job. The company as a whole is very direct about what is expected, if you do those things, and put your best effort into your job, you will do very well here.

Cons

There is a steep learning curve, and the training when you start is pretty rigorous. It takes a lot of confidence to put yourself out there, and that is intimidating to some people. It is necessary to succeeding that you be an active part of your team. They do a lot of practice in mock situations which was uncomfortable to me at first, but it gives you confidence pretty quickly. Now that I am helping others with mocks I can see why we do them.

There is no such thing as a free lunch

Former Employee - Associate in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Associate in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The catered food was great. After eating in a cafeteria at my previous job, this was a nice treat. The casual dress was also nice, but my guess on why this is allowed has to do with the fact that the company wants you to basically live at the office...might as well buy an Army cot and sleep next to your desk. I loved my co-workers. I have never had the pleasure of working with such intelligent people.

Cons

I knew this company was not a good fit for me from day one. I was at the office until 9:00 p.m. on my first day. I was told there would be a lot of training involved and there would be a steep learning curve, but I was not told that the training would begin at 7:00 p.m. and continue until late in the evening. This training typically goes on for a three month period. I felt like I was going through a desensitization process similar to what trafficked women experience before they are forced to prostitute themselves. "Don't worry, this won't last forever". By the time the weekends rolled around, I was too exhausted to do anything and I ended up sleeping most of the mornings away. Other weekends, I had to study for mandatory exams. The results of the exams were broadcast at meetings of 100+ people, so if you don't do well (A.K.A. use your personal time to study) everyone will be aware. I got a 99 on the first exam, so I'm not writing this because I don't have the ability, I just want to prevent other people from taking a job that will consume their lives. I didn't make it to the second exam because I found another job before I ended up in hospital with mono, like my team director (not kidding), from exhaustion.

The workload is crushing. I was required to include my cell phone number on my signature block and tell 40 companies with multiple contacts that I am available to them 24/7, which is the honest expectation of the company. 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m are client service hours and nights and weekends are when your expected to get your work done. I felt like an indentured servant. The lunch break at alliantgroup is similar to a unicorn...people have claimed to have seen them, but no one can find proof of their existence. I was directly told by my Project Manager that "We work all day, every day, through lunch".

Alliant markets itself as a true meritocracy. This is a blatant lie. The only reason there are so many opportunities for advancement is because the door on 3009 Post Oak is revolving. Every week that I was there, people either quit or got fired. The expectations are unrealistic and the work is not actually that difficult. The issue is the volume of the work. They hire a lot of new or recent graduates banking on the fact that they have student loans to pay and can't afford to quit a job without having another one lined up. There is not time to job hunt with the required hours at alliantgroup and even if an interview was secured, it would require you to locate that unicorn, saddle it and ride it to the interview.

Billing...let's talk about billing. There is extreme pressure to bill clients 50 hours per week per employee. There is actually a bonus given if employees hit the target. The company utilizes transactional billing practices, similar to a law firm. This translates to being able to bill, for example, 1.5 hours to a client when only 15 minutes was actually spent performing the task. The company says, the clients are aware of the billing practices, but I sat in on many calls and have never personally heard this being explained to a client. There are so many lawyers at the company that you could throw a rock and hit one, so I'm sure they have some type of clause or preventative measure in place to cover their tails.

How does one deal with the stress? The answer is alcohol of course. It's completely ok to drink at work. Mimosas at 9:00 a.m., no problem. People keep beer in the fridge and wine bottles on their desks. On occasion, the company even provides coolers full of alcohol and openly encourages drinking. Let's go play flogger on Post Oak now. Quitting time at alliantgroup coincides perfectly with closing time at The Galeria. Pedestrians beware.

One thing I have never seen is favoritism. Everyone is treated equally poorly, so don't worry about that. You will all be suffering together. Oh, an you better reply to all on the mass emails congratulating people you don't know on their promotions. Someone will notice if you don't. I didn't stick around long enough to find out what would happen if you don't participate, but if you plan to stick it out for a year, just do it and don't complain about it.

Seriously, think about it before you take a position here. There are only five and one star reviews on this company. That says something. There is no doubt in my mind that management "asks" employees to write the five star reviews. I wasn't fired. I left on my accord and this is an honest description of what I have experienced at alliantgroup. This was not my first job. I worked for a company 4 consecutive years previously and it is not realistic for a company to expect employee's to forego their personal lives for a job on a salary basis! The majority of employees at alliantgroup has been there under one year.

Advice to Management

The energy and time spent on recruiting and deceiving new candidates far exceeds the benefit you would receive retaining the talent you already have.

A Great Opportunity!

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

What I love about alliantgroup is the constant teamwork fostered between the departments. You will have the opportunity to develop relationships with a broad range of people from unique backgrounds and life experiences, and this promotes an environment and culture that is conducive to learning as well as building camaraderie among one another. I enjoy being able to discuss ideas and brainstorm with people no matter what the topic may be, and the cohesiveness between the departments is second to none compared with other jobs I have had. Upper management is always available as well, no matter what you need to discuss. It truly is an “open door” policy and not simply a catch phrase, and it is nice to know that they are available should you need them. I always seek them out when I have questions regarding complex files, and they are happy to answer my questions for me.

The work itself is very interesting in that you will have the opportunity to learn both the applicable law as well as the accounting principles that govern the execution of the files. The legal landscape is always changing with regard to a lot of the work, and I enjoy having the opportunity to use my legal background to navigate through the complexities of each file. I also enjoy the opportunity to work with clients from different industries, including software development, engineering, construction, and life sciences. You will be able to develop client relationships with many talented individuals from all of these industries, and it keeps each new file unique and exciting to work on.

Cons

The hours can be long during tax season, but again, you are not alone in your work. We are growing very fast, and as such, some of our internal processes often change quickly which can make things difficult at times.

Thought I would hate it (based on these reviews)... still here after ~1 year and I can honestly say I love it...

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hard working, high octane atmosphere. Motivated, tenacious co-workers. You can move up fast if you're a mover & shaker, and management will go out of their way to accommodate you when you prove yourself.

Cons

Intense atmosphere, long hours during tax season, but not as long as in finance and big law careers. Constant pressure from management to out-perform and improve. This is a good thing, if you're game.

Advice to Management

Their mantra is to push people to be their very best and maximize performance. This is a good thing, but it is not for the faint of heart. Come here to work hard and realize your full potential.

Sell your soul

Current Employee - Associate in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP

Pros

Starting off here, I was probably underqualified for the position yet I was determined to succeed. Most of the people in the company are determined, motivated hard working people yet that also turned out to be part of the cons of working at alliantgroup. They pay well, give you free lunch during tax season, completely pay for your healthcare and most of the people are great. You'll have the opportunity to travel at the complete expense of the company yet traveling is not optional at any time, you are required to go when and where they want you to go and for however long. Great room for growth and you'll learn more than you ever thought possible if you're determined to do well.

Cons

Since this company hasn't been around for that long, NOTHING is organized. There are no set rules, boundaries or guidelines and the only way you'll find out what they are is once you cross them and then you're done. There is no work life balance they want you to commit your life and soul to the company. They have events for top performers which aren't optional (even though they'll tell you they are) and I was even told who I was not allowed to associate with because they 'weren't top performers.' When it came down to it, everyone turned out to be 100% selfish. Everyone is there to work and make money (which is understandable) but at the same time if you're going to pretend to care about your employees care and dont' just turn around one day and become a completely different person. I worked under one of the top director's in the company who seemed great at first. In the end she ended up being a backstabbing and completely fake person. I was fired outside of a bar in Boston, sent back to California the next day and told I wasn't fired, then told to come back to work Monday morning just to be fired a second time. They'll overwork you and push you to your limits. Lastly, I was promised commission after 90 days and when I brought it up, they denied every saying that I would receive commission.

Advice to Management

Create a training program and proper title descriptions! You can't continue to hire people who have no financial background and then fire them when a month into it they're still confused as to what they're selling and what they're supposed to be doing.

Don't open - Dead inside.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They will hire absolutely anyone with a pulse. They provide poorly administered training that will run until 10 at night. You will save a lot of money on going out or visiting family and friends.

Cons

You may see a lot of conflicting reviews on this site regarding alliantgroup. Some highly critical, and some impossibly positive. Even if some of the negative reviews are just disgruntled employees, the positive ones speak for themselves (who actually writes like that). In any event, if you are on the fence about accepting a job at this firm, let me provide some advice: ask what their turnover rate is. Or you could go with "How long is the tenure of an average employee", or "What are the daily hours of the average employee"?

While there is a huge chance they may lie to you, perhaps using some tired line about high performance or growth, try to read between the lines on the things they don't lie about. Regardless of position, they ask intrusive and inappropriate questions during the interview process. E.g., "If it was your son's 1st birthday and you had a party planned for him, would you miss it if the CEO needed you to stay late"? And let me tell you now, they would expect that you miss your son's birthday for a non-urgent meeting to deal with an unorganized CEO. But that's enough about on-boarding. If you make the mistake of joining, you have a whole new form of hell to face.

For starters, the entire organization is operated by a management "team"r who is underhanded, lacks any actual management skills, and frequently treats employees like they are a dime a dozen. One individual has ultimate authority over every single employee and they use that authority to shame or fire employees who don't play along with their ego trip. For front-line managers, that means daily meetings that begin in the late afternoon and drag on until whenever they feel like ending it. Could be 7, could be 10:30. You won't know until you see what kind of mood he is in. I'm not sure they know that some people actually look forward to going home and seeing their families.

The culture is reminiscent of a fraternity where people fall in and out of favor often and quickly. HR has no authority or ability to lead any type of change towards normalcy. They will tout that their culture is "fast paced" and alliantgroup is only for "high performers" and they will claim that is why others don't last here. That is simply not the truth. The lack of organization, fair evaluative metrics, general professional courtesy, and atrocious management practices leaves their turnover rate at just under 70% annually. That is not a joke.

All of the employees must appear engaged at all times, but virtually all are really trying to find a way out as soon as humanly possible. It's like Jonestown where when the cameras were on, everyone was happy and hard working. When those cameras are off however, the people are begging for a way out.

From a career path perspective, alliantgroup will not advance your career. It might actually hurt you. Most industry competitors look poorly on this organization and find it to be a "one-trick pony."

This is not a scorned employee post. I was a "high performer" and I left of my own volition. Now, I look back and wish someone would have stopped me from wasting any of my time on this dead-end organization. Good riddance.

Advice to Management

Sell the firm to a buyer that can actually manage it appropriately. You are all in way over your heads, and it shows.

Place for a career, not just a job!

Current Employee - Director in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best reason to work at alliantgroup is if you desire a real career, not just a job. I started as an Associate and worked my way to Director with the guidance and help of upper management the whole way. I am performing tasks that I didn't think I was qualified for before I started. It is a big time commitment but it's worth it. I have more fun with my "work" friends than others outside of the office.

Cons

Too many reply-all emails. People get carried away with good news, promotions, rewards, etc.

Advice to Management

Please find more people so we can have a blue "a" on a skyscraper in every city!

This was the worst company I have ever worked for.

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Irvine, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Irvine, CA (US)

I worked at alliantgroup, LP

Pros

The compensation is fair and the travel is fun.

Cons

Hours, culture, frat house mentality

alliantgroup, LP Photos