blinkx

blinkx Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

blinkx CEO S. Brian Mukherjee

S. Brian Mukherjee

Pros
  • laid back atmosphere, good benefits, competitive salary(in 5 reviews)

• They also provide free snacks/beverages and do a staff lunch every Thursday which is generous of them(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Worst senior management team (at least from engineering perspective) I've ever worked with(in 7 reviews)

• There is no one leading the company(in 6 reviews)

Run. Run fast.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible hours and good immediate level management (at least in my case) made it a bearable stay. Free, salt/sugar-heavy snacks in the kitchen. Good people at the bottom level, with a sense of "we're all stuck here" comaraderie.

ConsIncredibly cheap company, from what they pay workers, to equipment, to investment in infrastructure and tools. Salary was laughable, and they do quarterly "bonuses" that are really just deferred salary, so they can take the tax benefit of keeping the money longer. On top of that, they would be delayed on occasion as well. A lot of their "revenue" feels fake, even from the inside. The whole place feels like a house of cards. Constantly at war with real companies who do not like their questionable behavior. I'm pretty sure that every 5-star review is upper-management padding their rating. Nobody that I knew was very happy, and certainly not 5-stars happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to value your employees, they're the ones doing the work. As far as I can tell, most of you are just there to sell snake-oil to investors, starting at the very top with the CEO who calls into meeting from a McDonalds play zone, judging from the background noise. At least take care of the people that make that possible.

Follow through on your promises. Delaying bonuses that people rely on for their families, because you pay WELL BELOW industry rates is a real kick in the nuts. Not to mention delaying promised raises as well. No wonder everyone has one foot out the door.

Clueless senior management and dismal work atmosphere

ProsDecent benefits, good snacks in the kitchen, and the main office is in a nice location.

Consblinkx chases quick revenue, and is never willing to invest in strategy and long-term planning. The 5-star reviews on this site are fake and came from a management request. The company is extremely cheap. Employees are not encouraged to get training or advance their careers. Bonuses are a joke - because they're based on goals your manager sets for you, but managers have no clue what's really going on, because they're too busy doing acquisitions (hostile takeovers). They have no idea how to run a legitimate software development team. The product team is a disaster, mainly because of the leadership issues. They don't have anyone running HR because the people they hire keep leaving. The talented designers are miserable, reporting to managers with no design background and given no opportunity to grow. Employees from all the acquired companies are extremely unhappy, since the management rips their organizations apart without understanding how to run the businesses they just purchased.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to foster trust and loyalty among the management and the employees who do all the hard work. The company needs to redefine its self, and build integrity - not just with the people, but with how they run the business, and the product/service offerings. Invest in well-planned longer-term projects - run by people with proven experience. You need to remove the people at the top who are making horrible mistakes, and who have no idea how to manage teams, business relationships, projects, ad campaigns, technology, media, etc. It hurts moral and motivation levels when the few good people you have left (who know what they're doing), see these poor management decisions. End the nepotism and stop hiring and advancing people you have personal relationships with - it's not good for employee moral or for the bottom line. When people quit, don't dump their workload on other employees permanently, without giving them a raise or new title to match their added responsibilities.

A growing company with nice perks!

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsVery nice people (for the most part), they are doing a fantastic job in their industry and just seem to be getting better and better. Clean office with plenty of supplies, and a great view. Free snacks!

ConsMy supervisor was never one to appreciate my hard work and was very unhelpful. She didn't want to train me, so it was very autonomous. And as an admin you're very separated from the rest of the group.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluate all of your employees, even the ones who have been with the company a while, to see what they bring to the table.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

After reading this review you should stop any communication with their hiring manager

(Former Employee)

ProsGood place for those who don't want to do anything, and happy with industry mediocre paycheck.

ConsDouble check everything they tell you on interview. Unbelievably incompetent management. Zero task delegation. No product vision whatsoever. New software and improvements have flatline adoption curve. Heavy rotation, people run like hell from this festering pit, and management is even ashamed to report employees gone. There are some good people that trapped there with acquisitions, but they leave as soon as they can. I couldn't tolerate it anymore and decided to quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany needs a hard reboot.

Good Company - Good Management - Good Culture

Pros- Awesome benefits
    - Competitive compensation
    - Reasonable management
    - Good company outlook
    - Free breakfast
    - 1-2 times per week we get catered lunch
    - Awesome location in SF - All of the offices are in prime locations with great looking offices
    - If you want it, you have a ton of opportunity for career growth

Cons- Growing incredibly fast, and sometimes unorganized as a result (will get better)
    - Poor press displays false messages about blinkx, and who we are.
    - Sometimes teams are understaffed, so hiring to ensure that employees havethe proper workload

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to transform the culture as you have over the last 2 years. Continue to leverage the blinkx team worldwide to develop the company into a world class name in the advertising industry. Continue to practice an open door policy. Keep doing what you are doing.

Good place to work

ProsGood compensation, good benefits, flexible hours and good opportunities for advancement. Overall a very good place to work.

ConsMore collaboration between divisions would be helpful.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne of Blinkx's great strength is the diversity of its divisions, we should try to leverage that more and take advantage of each others skills and technologies.

Great place to work !

Employee (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ (US)

ProsGreat people, start up vibe with corporate resources. As we grow we continue to take on new and challenging projects. Its been an awesome work experience ! Always learning new things and never bored.

ConsYou are expected to be "on" and available at all times. However this is rewarded with great company events and outings. Work hard , play hard attitude !

Advice to Senior ManagementI appreciate our All Hand Meetings keeping all employee's up to date with the business.

Great place of employment!

Billing & Revenue Analyst (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGreat work environment, approachable management, co-workers great to work with.

ConsI currently do not have any cons for the company. Great place to work, great people to work with.

Great company to work for!

ProsThere's growth within the company. Everyone here are really friendly and willing to help one another. Since this is a start-up environment, you will have many opportunities to work with different team in this company

Conscheck in weekly with the employee would be nice

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the monthly meeting to let employees know what this company have achieved the past month

Worst professional experience of career.

Directory of Engineering (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsA few very nice people there, people I respected and wanted to work with.

ConsWorst senior management team (at least from engineering perspective) I've ever worked with. No product vision or direction, tons of micro management. IMO, most of company is made up of C and D players. Very few high performers. My sentiments were not alone, this is a feeling at least some employees I worked with have themselves. Most telling fact, my contact at the company quit the same week I joined. This should have tipped me off that it was not a great place.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes to what's really going on and who is making decisions.

Worked for blinkx? Contribute to the Community!