eBay Inc.

3.7
1,218 Reviews

eBay Inc. President and CEO John J. Donahoe
John J. Donahoe

Pros
  • Depending on your area in the company, there is a real emphasis on work-life balance (in 114 reviews)

• Alignment and strong purpose, working with very smart people - have direct impact from UK (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Once you reach manager level or higher, work-life balance will suffer (in 73 reviews)

• Frequent senior management attrition, leading to reorgs / policy changes (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful Place to work!

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Sydney
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Sydney

I worked at eBay Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Creative Environment and Excellent Compensation!

Cons

Some limitations of career progression.

It has so much potential!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at eBay Inc.

Pros

Smart, passionate people. Totally self motivated and driven.
    Network of intelligent and experienced people all around the world.
    Great international opportunities. Generous travel.
    Interesting strategic questions and impact to Australian market. Everyone is plugged into it.
    Collaborative environment.

Cons

Weak senior management role models in regards to expertise and experience. There is a lot of talk about experience, but not a lot of direction or action.
    Consultant mentality. Everyone thinks they are strategic. Execution and delivery suffers.
    There is an obsession with profile and exposure.
    Favouritism from the top. Obvious imbalances. It is definitely easier for some than others.

Has potential, but decision-making centralised in US and hesitation in product innovation is holding eBay back.

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Sydney
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Sydney

I have been working at eBay Inc.

Pros

Actually quite fun work environment, people were good to work with and helpful.

Cons

Too centralised with many major decisions / bottlenecks having to come from US headquarters. Also not bold enough on innovation, and no visible technology leader - plenty of consultant / powerpoint types.

Be bolder with technology innovation - and innovation means going beyond just changing the layout of our search results page....

*If you are considering applying for eBay Customer Service, read this first.

Current Employee - Customer Service M2M Appeals Team in Draper, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service M2M Appeals Team in Draper, UT (US)

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working for eBay the 1st time around: Was a customer service agent on the Buy/Sell team. It was overall a great job!

Cons

Coming back to eBay after leaving to try out a career change: Hired for M2M APPEALS team. *Worst Job I have ever had* Experience: Customers wait around an hour to speak with you because of high turnover. The majority of the time you then have to tell the already angry customer bad news. Example: eBay made me take a return on a $300 item and the buyer sent me back a box full of rocks! (You then explain "this is the cost of doing business, we cant prove this is the case", the seller is now out the money and item). *Transferring Teams: You will not be able to change departments unless the wait time is handled. It has been up to an hour or so wait to call in for almost a year. Even with a posting for my old job open, Im not allowed to apply. *Pay: This team currently starts off at the same pay as the other departments I worked in even though it is a Much harder job by far.

Conclusion: Do not accept a job in the M2M Escalations or Appeals departments, unless you are ready to have hundreds of very upset callers in queue for you. If you love telling people "no" this is the job for you. EBAY OVERALL: Awesome company; my first two positions there were absolutely great. Just wait till something outside of M2M is hiring and you will love the company.

Management Ive worked with is doing the best they can, but management higher up should consider that the M2M team is basically the dumping ground for the rough calls and that turnover will stay an issue until some of the rough calls are split up between departments. Maybe even give examples of the exact types of calls you'll be dealing with before getting hired. (My managers personally have been awesome people that are doing their best in a very tough department.)

I have been working at eBay Inc.

Pros

First reason is the brand name you get , secondly you are getting equally good compensation and the last but not the least , the work satisfaction .

Cons

I don't have any cons to report .

A good place to stay if you have an awesome project

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Big eCommerce offers you deep understand on millions of users and get a chance to do experiment on user design. A good learning from different domain and cross functional work with different team.

Cons

Too many layers; project not moving on fast enough; too many people who talk but not work; always re-org

Why everything is tie to GMV? Don't you think build right product can strengthen the public confidence and return with stock increase?

Good company to work for

I have been working at eBay Inc.

Pros

Work life balance
    Competitive compensation
    Value for employees

Cons

Constant changes to org structure

Great company, be prepared to bring your A game.

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a great company full of talented people. The entire org is changing right now and there is a lot of enthusiasm among (new) leaders. Chief Product Officer, CEO-designate, head of design. Great stuff and HUGE assets that haven't been leveraged nearly as much as they should.

Cons

Management does not like being questioned too much. The plan is the plan as far as they are concerned and they seem to also not be ok with bad news. Or failure. It happens, and it shouldn't be something people need to be ashamed of. Also there is a culture of needing to be gray-haired to hold VP title.

Focus on the young people on the team. Let them build what they want. Stop planning a year out. Move fast and break things. You don't need more oversight, you need as little oversight as possible until it's ready to go live. Younger teams at startups are building products that kick our butts. Why not try letting a team like that work autonomously?

Overall great place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Upward mobility, flexible schedules, supportive management.

Cons

Does not have all perks of some other internet companies like free food. Facilities are ok.

Member of Technical Staff

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff I Software Engineer in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at eBay Inc.

Pros

Great work atmosphere and lot of scope for innovation, if you are willing to think out of the box sky is the limit

Cons

Improve cafeteria and other facilities

None