eBay Inc.

Updated Jul 21, 2014

3.3 1,053 reviews

eBay Inc. President and CEO John J. Donahoe

John J. Donahoe

Pros
  • Depending on your area in the company, there is a real emphasis on work-life balance(in 99 reviews)

• Many smart people with pretty diverse industry backgrounds(in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Once you reach manager level or higher, work-life balance will suffer(in 65 reviews)

• Frequent senior management attrition, leading to reorgs / policy changes(in 40 reviews)

1,053 Employee Reviews

Wonderful Place to work!

Business Development Manager (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsCreative Environment and Excellent Compensation!

ConsSome limitations of career progression.

It has so much potential!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsSmart, passionate people. Totally self motivated and driven.
    Network of intelligent and experienced people all around the world.
    Great international opportunities. Generous travel.
    Interesting strategic questions and impact to Australian market. Everyone is plugged into it.
    Collaborative environment.

ConsWeak senior management role models in regards to expertise and experience. There is a lot of talk about experience, but not a lot of direction or action.
    Consultant mentality. Everyone thinks they are strategic. Execution and delivery suffers.
    There is an obsession with profile and exposure.
    Favouritism from the top. Obvious imbalances. It is definitely easier for some than others.

Has potential, but decision-making centralised in US and hesitation in product innovation is holding eBay back.

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsActually quite fun work environment, people were good to work with and helpful.

ConsToo centralised with many major decisions / bottlenecks having to come from US headquarters. Also not bold enough on innovation, and no visible technology leader - plenty of consultant / powerpoint types.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe bolder with technology innovation - and innovation means going beyond just changing the layout of our search results page....

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing internship

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsThe senior management takes the internship program very seriously and invests heavily I'm it.
    Lots of feed back from managers and coworkers.

ConsVery high paced and stressful
    Working out of any office other than San Jose makes for a very disjointed experience

Advice to Senior ManagementInclude the remote interns more.
    Power[UP] was the highlight of my summer.

Immerse yourself in eCommerce

Director (Former Employee) King of Prussia, PA (US)

ProseBay is an innovative, forward thinking company with a very positive corporate culture, strong executive leadership at corporate level (in San Jose), excellent benefits and internal employee programs, and very smart people.

ConsThere was zero work like balance at eBay Enterprise (formerly GSI Commerce). There were integration pains in relation to corporate culture. eBay Enterprise's leadership not quite on board with corporate leadership priorities as it related to work/life balance. Employees did not feel comfortable taking advantage of any internal program that didn't result in more GMV for their clients and management did little to discourage this behavior. Also, clients were unhappy with continued delays to technology platform, which created strained relations for those managing client relationships.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet on board with encouraging employees to take time to recharge.

Nice experience as an intern

Database Administrator (Former Employee) Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

ProsYou can learn a lot
    nice office sport to relax your brain

ConsNot very good work-life balance

Great place when you start, not so great when you have been there a long time. They don't value employee loyalty.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsThere are wonderful people to work with around the company. The sabbatical program is of course a plus (after having worked there 5 years). I found a lot of opportunities for advancement and learned a lot during my time there.

ConsAfter a number of promotions and over 10 years of working there, I barely got a pat on the back when I left. I went in and felt like a contributor that mattered for a number of years and left feeling like a number.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better people managers. There are a lot of smart people out there, but you're suffering in the morale and productivity departments because of the lack of true mentors at the company. Don't throw new programs at the problem (I know there's a mentoring program.). You need to hire people that actually inspire others. And please start showing those that have stuck with the company through good and bad some appreciation, instead of operating a culture that makes that loyalty feel like a negative.

Software Engineer 2, Quality

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsLot of domains and fast paced learning. Active environment to work for. Good facilities.

ConsCareer development opportunities are less.
    No Scope to learn great technologies.
    Lot of re-orgs.

Great business environment. Innovative. Best out of the 6 Internships I've had.

Intern (Former Employee) Seoul (South Korea)

ProsI got the privilege of interning at eBay Korea (2010) after my freshmen year at Babson College. Great leadership. Good work environment. Praised when deserved. It's been four years and I still keep in touch with the entire team!

ConsPromotions a bit slow. But quite the norm in South Korea.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat leadership. The CEO of eBay Korea at the time (Joo Man Park) was congratulated by Senior Vice President and General Manager eBay Asia Jay Lee for his leadership. Great work-life balance.

Love the job and environment

Key Account Manager (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT (US)

ProsExcellent work/life balance. Great benefits. Fair pay. Decent career advancement opportunities.

ConsPoor training. Slow decision making.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo slow to make decisions. At times, doing whats best for the customer and/or long-term benefit of the company is sacrificed for whats best for the company in the short term.

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!