hmv

Add Photos

hmv CEO Trevor Moore

Trevor Moore

Great company

ProsStaff, discount, range, prices great customer service

ConsNot enough staff, wages, no external training

Constant Tasking

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsProduct you are selling is something people are interested in so it makes for great conversations with customers.

ConsConstant tasking makes it difficult to focus on customer service, even though that is what you will be challenged on as a manager.

Friendly, enjoyable, range of duties during working day made day fly

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsGfeat team, freedom to discuss wide range of products. Customer interaction was good.

ConsMornings could be boring as customers can come in later

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fallen Giant - Still Falling

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Royal Tunbridge Wells, England (UK)

ProsRelatively flexible shift pattern, staff discount on products, great camaraderie, relatively good prospects if you are willing to move to the other end of the country and are fanatical about HMV

ConsRegional management live on a different planet - management visits degenerate into turning the store into an ideal homes exhibition to match the pictures in the "handbook" (right down to the sticker drawer in the stock room). Not allowed a modicum of independent thought due to aforementioned "handbook" and centralised strategies. Working for the company is akin to joining a cult, if HMV is not THE all powerful obsession in your life - then expect limited to no job progression whatsoever. If you are lucky enough to progress - be prepared to be moved at a moments notice to other stores (i.e. you work in Scotland and are promoted to assistant manager at the other end of the country) and then maybe be told three months later that store is being closed due latest re-structuring. If you are lucky enough to get onto some kind of staff training other than handbook assimilation - expect that also to be cancelled without warning - successfully entered the graduate scheme only for it to be cancelled within a month and offered an inferior training position in its place (also in turn cancelled). For a company that had such a strong market position and with employees passionate about the products they sell it is a true disappointment that this was not being capitalised by the captains running the ship. Oh and they saw Digital and Online (iTunes et al) gunning for them for a long time and left it too late.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people and allow the true talent (rather than the latest round of robots fresh out of conditioning school) to shine. Alas - too late - The ship sank last year and is now being rationalised (i.e. being gutted). A real shame for such an iconic brand.

DIFFICULT TIMES

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsIf you love music, it is an interesting place to work

ConsMoney difficulties
    Will it or won't it survive?

Games and Technology Seasonal Colleague

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Decent pay compared to other
    - Good if you have an interest in Tech and Games

Cons- None in Particular To be Honest

Fun Job

Key Holder (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat people, my love for music was supported, great customers, passion for what I sold

ConsNo room for advancement. I was with the company for 3 years, and was sent to help run other stores. I was constantly give hope that I would advance, but nothing ever came up.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistrict Managers, Regional Managers, HO staff - Treat your store staff better. Dont take them for granted. A little encouragement goes a long way.

Bit like a Cattle market

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

ProsWould like to say but Isnt any

ConsWell Not the best Wages

Advice to Senior Management.....

Seasonal Customer Sales Assistant

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Plymouth, England (UK)

ProsThe working environment was really good, a lot of the employees were around my age (Early 20's), we also all had a shared interest in Film, Music and some of us games.

Management broke the day up into hour blocks, so you could be on tills for an hour and then be on queue patrol. I think this was a good idea because it kept the day interesting and I didnt get bored doing the same job for 8 hours straight.

There was also the opportunity for overtime. I was employed over Christmas, so I don't know how much overtime is available all year round.

ConsYou were constantly under pressure to push sales, I know understand this is because they were going into administration.

Good experience

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Chatham, England (UK)

Prosthe staff... NOT the suits upstairs

Consthe suits upstairs dont exactly care about those in the shops

Advice to Senior Management-

Worked for hmv? Contribute to the Community!