hmv Reviews

3.2

hmv CEO Trevor Moore
Trevor Moore

Commercial and Retail Finance Intern

Former Employee - Commercial and Retail Finance Intern  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Commercial and Retail Finance Intern in London, England (UK)

I worked at hmv as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Friendly team and company
    Great office
    Good benefits and freebies

Really enjoyed the year I was at HMV the team I was in was really helpful and friendly. Really sad that they went into administration, I hope they survive and start to get stronger.

Cons

Times I werent doing much

Interesting

I worked at hmv

Pros

Very very very nice music.

Cons

Other employees were sometimes unhelpful.

Great untill the money ran out

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at hmv full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great to work for largely with some great perks

Cons

Treated poorly upon entering administration

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall happy

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Heathrow, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Heathrow, England (UK)

I worked at hmv part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits and events eg. Conferences

Cons

Must always keep up to date with new releases for films, music and tech, easy for full timers, more difficult for part timers.

Sounds like fun?

Current Employee - Sales Assistant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at hmv full-time for more than a year

Pros

+ It's nice to be working with what I love as my enthusiasm for the product is genuine and I feel that the customers recognise this.

+ The staff discount, although its not that much, is very handy, especially for birthdays/Christmas.

+ A lot of the staff on my level are very friendly and have a genuine love of what they sell.

Cons

- The store manager uses fear as their primary motivational tool.

- The management are always in contradiction with one another so you're ALWAYS going against someone's instructions.

- No regard for illness or pain when tasks are being delegated. I've often complained of my injuries being made worse by my work, only to be offered no sympathy. I'm currently very ill but I fear the consequences of taking time off.

- Disproportionate punishments follow menial crimes. For example, an employee is awaiting a disciplinary hearing for going to meet a friend outside of work hours to ask a favour of them when he was off sick. He received a barrage of verbal abuse from the manager for this.

- The store is absolutely FILTHY. No-one reports the store to environmental health as they fear being fired. There was a dead mouse in the audio department for a VERY long time and mice regularly eat the confectionary that's for sale. The half-eaten treats are removed rather than the whole batch. I die a little inside every time a customer buys a chocolate bar. The staff kitchen areas are disgusting and rodent-infested and I refuse to eat or prepare food in them. It's also so dusty that my hands are black after half an hour of work. Disgusting.

This place needs a massive overhaul in the way in which it's managed, starting with respect and decency towards its employees. If I didn't have to worry about my wife and forthcoming family prospects, I'd leave right now. It's sad, because I spent my teenage years dying to work in HMV only to find out how awful it is to work there. I hope other stores fare better.

Nightmarish void where souls were sold for company profit

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at hmv

Pros

you met awesome people (both other employees that you worked with and the occasional famous person), the discount was alright

Cons

corporate office down to managers were incredibly pushy with sales and would write you up for not up-selling products at cash, the stores are always a mess, the overhead radio plays all of twenty songs over and over again until you've gone crazy, the customers are rude, the backrooms are chaotic and dangerously messy, hard to take time off, hours are always being cut, no benefits for a full year (even if you are full time)

stop treating your employees like garbage - brand loyalty is not established with pushy sales people that are constantly terrified that they'll lose their jobs for not selling enough product

Wamp wamp

I worked at hmv

Pros

Hmv has a flexible for staff if you are a music/dvd lover you find some good obscure stuff. Managers usually try to accomodate you as best as you can.

Cons

Higher ups at HMV didn't adapt and see the changes coming and now place is going under. Most senior staff saw it for a while.

Should listen to staff and adapt to trends quicker and faster. Might be too late but good luck to HMV.

Very supportive company and very willing to give opportunities

I have been working at hmv

Pros

One of the best reasons to work for HMV group is the support for going into professional qualifications such as ACCA

Cons

Once professional qualifications are complete at HMV, there may not be open vacancies within the organisation to progress into a more senior role

HMV leadership is very good ideas and always looking forward, constantly keep employees aware of the plans of the company

not good!

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at hmv

Pros

There' access to great music, movies, cd, dvd, blu-rays, just about anyting you want ot watch or listen to you can find it at hmv

Cons

they don't really treat their employees that well, and there isn't really any room for improvement or any place to move up to

you guys should make employee communication more easy and foster that kind of relationship instead of just bashing everyone around

very fun but forget about advancing

Current Employee - Sales  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at hmv

Pros

-very friendly people
    -discount (supplier cost, items become very cheap)
    -flexible when asking for days off
    -flexible around your availability
    -managers become your friends

Cons

-lack of appreciation from managers
    -favouritism
    -can get very boring on most night shifts

Appreciate ALL your workers.

Worked for hmv? Contribute to the Community!