Amazon Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

13,015 Interview Reviews

3.1

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

Received email from Amazon saying they were looking for people and if I was interested to go to with a link to two online programming questions. I answered the first one with a pretty bad solution, and the second one I didn't even do. Yet surprisingly, I received an email they would fly me out to Seattle for for the in person interview. I was surprised, I did horrible on the online questions yet they we're still willing to fly me out to Seattle all costs paid, I thought I had a pretty good chance.

I get there and I interview with four people. The first one went pretty good except he wanted me to explain something specific to a NoSQL database I mentioned I had experience with. I gave a broad explanation but he kept asking how does X technology where the data is. I think he was looking for another answer, he just couldn't formulate the question for what he was looking for, he had heavy Indian accent.

The second guy was the hiring manager, cool guy, I think I answered all his behavioral questions as well as the technical with the correct answers.

The third guys had a difficult question, by this point I was a bit tired, and the guy was a little bit condescending so I didn't put that much effort. The question was along the lines of you are given a list of tickets they contain departure and arrival and date. Method has to return the full itinerary. I gave some wrong solution building a string.

Then the final interview a guy and a woman came in and asked me a graph related question. I was able to answer 100% and then they asked me a few variations of question throwing wrenches. I was able to answer all of them.

After I finished I really thought if they had been willing to fly me out across the country, I am in the east coast, and I had done horrible on the initial programming question and did pretty good on the in person interview, I would get hired. I don't think a lot of people can answer all these questions flawlessly after flying out for 8+ hours and whiteboard programming for 5+ hours. But after two days I received a call saying they decided to move forward without me.

I wasn't really that motivated to change jobs. I am making good money where I am at now, and I live in an area with beautiful weather. They would have had to come with a significant offer for me to move to that god forsaken city. So I just went for the free trip. But if you have an interview coming up make sure you do perfectly on all four interviews otherwise these guys don't mind flying you out and wasting your time to tell you they are going to move forward. I think they are looking for top talent and they are willing to waste money flying people to Seattle.

P.S If you've never been to Seattle, this city is horrible. It's cold, it's always raining, it's full of hills, there's nothing to do apart from that ugly needle, and one minute you will see everyone walking and they are all in suits and professionals and the next minute you are surrounded by drug addicts. Everywhere you go there are passive aggressive comments against tech people like you because you are bringing up the COL for them. Everything really is expensive. The food sucks. Overall it's crap ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Interview Questions

• Given list of tickets with start location and end location and date return list in order. Account for
      Trips same day.
      1 Answer
    • Asked to analyze run time of tree traversals.   Answer Question
    • Write method to determine if tree is mirror.

X
      X. X. Is mirror

X
          X. X
      X. Not mirror
      Answer Question

Sr Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Shepherdsville, KY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Shepherdsville, KY (US)).

Interview

1. Initial Phone Screening: more about the company and the HR manager's background, less about you
    2. Phone Interview - good dry-run for the on-site interview. Focus was on my resume.
    3. On-Site Interview at FC: 4 hours (site tour + 4 back-to-back interviews)

Interview Questions

• -What is your greatest innovation?
      -Describe a time you solved a complex problem
      -How have you used data in order to solve problems?
      2 Answers

Packer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Schertz, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Schertz, TX (US)).

Interview

There really was no interview just a group interview didn't ask us individually or any questions just went over the job did drug test and watched videos then they did another class and more power point

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

After my application was accepted, I was asked to participate in a virtual interview through HireVue which consisted of only five questions. Essentially, I video recorded my answers on my laptop. Each question has a time limit of about 3 minutes, but you can take as much time as you need to prepare because you are allowed unlimited recordings before submitting your final answers.

Interview Questions

• What are you doing in your current position to develop your employees?   1 Answer
    • Tell us about a time that you solved a complex problem with a simple solution.   1 Answer
    • Tell us about a time you had a disagreement with your boss. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time when you failed. What did you learn from it?   1 Answer
    • Tell us about a time when you had to confront someone for poor performance.   1 Answer

Interview

I applied to a couple of jobs on amazon.jobs. After a few weeks an automated university recruiter contacted me with a short IQ like test and debugging. After that I was sent another test that was simulating a day at amazon and has 2 code challenge questions. After 2 weeks they contacted me for an onsite interview. They flew me to Seattle and then I had 3 55 minute interviews back to back. Each one started with a STAR question then led to a CTCI like question. Didn't think it went to well but after a week they sent me an offer.

Negotiation

Not room to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Murfreesboro, TN (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Murfreesboro, TN (US)).

Interview

First interview was over-the-phone. Seemed like a standard call interview with all your hopes and dreams and why you're doing this. It was less of an interview and more of a formal "welcome, this is what you can look forward to."
    Second part was an on-site visit where your benefits, drug test, orientation, and hours are determined. No interview really. Just pass the drug test and you got it!

Interview Questions

• What are you looking to get out of your experience with Amazon?   Answer Question

Project Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me via email to schedule a phone interview. He provided me with several days and times to choose from. The phone interview happened as scheduled. Follow-up after interview within 3 business days through the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• 45 min phone call. How do you deal with large amounts of data, how did you innovate...   1 Answer

Assistant Shift Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

One hour phone interview (2 1 on 1 30min interviews with two different interviewers)
    Basic behavioral questions, expected to answer in STAR format, also included an explanation of job duties/role and time for you to ask questions

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions about past experiences   1 Answer

Senior Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

Very good interview process. all the interviewers were good and wanted to know more about your skillset and capabilities. They want to know more about leadership capabilities and your role as a leader

Interview Questions

• what is the most innovative thing you have in your projects till date   1 Answer

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter via my LinkedIn profile. He requested a resume, and then within a day asked to schedule a phone screen. The phone screen was a little choppy because they were using a new tool similar to codepen that allowed your code to be evaluated while on the call.

The review was pleasant enough, and--in spite of not being prepared for the low-level java implementation questions--I made it to an on-site.

The on-site is where my experience diverged from expectation. Having heard that you are interviewed for multiple roles by a range of people, I was fully prepared and excited for that. I my case, there was only one role, and all but one of the interviewers were from that team. Since none of them were senior engineers, they had a hard time engaging my questions and thought processes, which made the conversations rather awkward and stifling.

By the time I met with the engineers from a different team, I was a bit off balance, and felt like I didn't shine.

The last interview was with the person who would have supervised me, and we both expressed that it didn't seem like a fit right now.

Interview Questions

• Can you write a parallel merge sort?   1 Answer