Atlassian Senior Java Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Atlassian Senior Java Developer Interview Questions

Interviews at Atlassian

3.2

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Interview

I got interviewed for Atlassian Bangalore recently. First round was code pairing round. Here you will be given a Atlassian codebase and you have to fix bugs/add features to it. I could solve most of the questions but got a rejection because they were expecting me to use a predefined function which I didn't remember at that point of time so I gave alternate solution which works pretty well. Bad experience overall!!

Interview Questions

• Code base consists of Classes for User, Groups and their relationship.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Atlassian

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Atlassian (Santa Clara, CA (US)) in May 2017.

Interview

First Round - Telephonic Technical
    I did not get through this as they found more experienced candidate in the front end technologies.
    The second round would be either an onsite interview or a coding challenge.

Interview Questions

• 1. Last project that I worked on and the technologies used
      2. Java technical questions on Collections and Java 8 features
      3. Agile methodologies
      4. Front end technologies   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Atlassian (Sydney).

Interview

In short, don't bother if you aren't hands on with multithreading/concurrency. Theoretical knowledge isn't going to cut it as they ask very practical question. If you haven't done that stuff you won't be able to answer those questions.

I had a fantastic pairing round. And a good technical round where I explained everything very confidently but couldn't remember a design pattern and one multithreading question and I got denied.

Not blaming anyone here but I think concurrency is the main skill they care and hire for.

Interview Questions

• Project related
      Architecture related
      Concurrency and multithreading   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Atlassian (Sydney) in March 2020.

Interview

I have mixed feelings about this interview. I have received call out of the blue and technical recruiter asked me if I'm interested. He was polite and explained what they were looking for and asked me that there are multiple roles available. He asked me to focus on design patterns and concurrency since my experience is 11 years.

I have asked for 20 days to prepare which he agreed. I was bit spectacle that the process will be smooth since I asked them to wait for 20 days. I have read a lot of interview experiences on this site which suggests that their followup and feedback process is not very efficient. Luckily for me it was not the case, the interview as well as feedback was quite effective and within acceptable time limits.

Ok, so as for interview, I was asked to look at code repository and correct/write test cases. Which I found bit overwhelming since understanding the code repository and problem and then find place in code to fix the issue is bit difficult (specially when someone is continuously watching your screen). It was suppose to be peer programming but interviewer was no where close to being a peer programmer. He was criticising each time you fix something in code. I know may be he was trying to understand my thought process but he should consider the code repository size and pressure which the candidate is in during interview and guide the person.

I have suggested him to discuss all the questions so that if I can not fix them all at least he gets my thought process which he declined and said let's finish the current problem. Which is not a great thing to do. Candidate can find for example problem 2 difficult but problem 3 easy to solve (which he never got a chance to talk about, since he was stuck on problem 2).

Also, fixing code in that repository should not be the only thing to check. Interviewee could spare some time 10-15 mins to talk about design pattern, concurrency, Java features, TDD etc. If interviewee doesn't ask any questions other than fixing code in that repo, then there is hardly enough you can do to prove that you are worth hiring for.

Prepare for TDD, writing test cases and make yourself use keyboard shortcuts so that you can move around the code quickly.

Interview Questions

• Question was on why did you fix problem x using this approach A why not approach B. I would suggest before saying that you have fixed the problem, take some time and see if you can improve it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Atlassian (Sydney) in November 2018.

Interview

First a 20 mins introduction call with recruiter, then code pairing round. Although it is a code pairing round but if we ask more questions they consider it as they are guiding us and consider it as negative point, so I will not call it a code pairing round but just Coding round. They have some sluggish bluejeans setup for interview which didn't work during the interview day, we had to switch to Google hangouts which wasted more than 20 mins of the interview. They send you a link with zip file of java project and a pdf with 3 questions. It was a rather simple N level hierarchy type question, you need atleast 10 mins to work out the solution but they were expecting that I should have completed it in less than 5 mins. I was working out the solution on paper first before typing but in feed back he said after 5 mins of starting he didn't implement anything.

Interview Questions

• User and group related project for Coding round. They send you link of zip file before but on interview day they give you password.   Answer Question

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Atlassian (Bengaluru (India)) in October 2018.

Interview

First was a coding change round, where there is a sample application shared and u need to modify, add, delete existing code to fix the bugs and features asked in the use case pdf.
    It is more of code java, collections concepts like hashcode and equals for HashSet and map, unit test coding using JUnit
    And Second round was a technical face to face round with two engineers where you will be asked everything who claim in your resume, your work and java concepts,they also ask to code a design pattern and the third round was a tech manager round, It will be all about behavioral skills. and previous work-related.

Interview Questions

• How hashcode and equals used in get, put, remove of HashMap?
      Design and code connection pool
      Deadlock and thread related questions   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Atlassian (Sydney).

Interview

Entire process is a Joke, looks like they conduct interviews for the sake of it. Intervier was biased and looked like he came in there with a pre fixated mindset to not hire and scribble down the opposite/negatives of what ever I had to say.
    Waste of time, don't sweat it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Atlassian (Sydney) in February 2018.

Interview

The interview process was quick and with clear agenda. There ware 3 rounds after the first call with recruiter. First 2 rounds were as usual technical interviews. Third was with managers.

Each round was with clear agenda and specific to what they want. I really enjoyed the discussions with the team there. Did not feel like an interview rather a very good conversation.

However I was rejected in the last round. The most important thing they want from a candidate is how best fit the candidate is for them.

I would like to pass a feedback to the recruiter, Please change the order of the interview rounds. First see whether the candidate is fit for the Values of Atlassian.

Interview Questions

• The technical questions were on Java and design decisions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Atlassian (Sydney).

Interview

This is for a position in Sydney. They initially gave me a hacker rank test to solve. I finished around 3 questions. They reverted back saying well done on the test.
    After that I had a call with recruiter where we discussed what they do and what they are looking for. What happened after that was they rejected me saying that they have amazing response to the position and have better candidates available. Can't they see it before asking candidates to solve a Hackerrank test. Waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Kmp algorithm, movement of a robotic arm. Covert a number to base 7   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Atlassian (Sydney) in April 2017.

Interview

1 online test hackerrank: 90 minutes for 5 questions, count and say, stair, 7 represent, can't remember the rest
    2 short hr interview: self introduce, know about the company, about java,
    3 screen sharing: not yet

Interview Questions

• 1hackerrank questions
      2hr: what do you know about java, and concurrent
      3 waiting   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.