Cactus Communications Freelance Editor Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Cactus Communications Freelance Editor Interview Questions

Interviews at Cactus Communications

3.1

Freelance Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cactus Communications (New York, NY (US)) in November 2018.

Interview

I had to edit a passage which was rather short, perhaps 250 words or so, on the basis of which they would take the hiring decision.

I didn't hear from them until 11 days later, after I sent an email asking what the status of my application was.

Yesterday, I got an offer of USD21 per 1000 words for premium editing services, which I was glad to accept. I emailed them my confirmation and registered on the link they sent, then waited for my contract and non-disclosure agreement. It never came. I emailed them again today.

This is the killer part. This evening, I get a call from them telling me there was a mistake. They had sent me an offer meant for someone else with the same name. Seriously?

Instead, they made me an offer for Rs640/1000 words. They explained the discrepancy in payment as "cost of living is very high in Switzerland" and "since you live in India, we can only pay you in Rupees, not USD." Seriously? They were offering USD 9 per 1000 words. I asked them to send me another email with the new offer. I had to see it to believe it. True enough, I have both offers in my inbox for the EXACT SAME JOB with a huge pay gap between the two.

Cactus needs to explain its discriminatory policy. This is not done. At all!

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Cactus Communications

Freelance Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cactus Communications.

Interview

First you choose your desired subject(s) of work, then you are sent an editing test to complete. If you score sufficiently high on the editing test, you are then sent a short sample passage to edit. After your work on that passage is reviewed, you are either offered a position or not.

Interview Questions

• Please edit this sample passage.   4 Answers

Freelance Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cactus Communications (Chicago, IL (US)) in February 2017.

Interview

They sent an assignment and I edited it. It was very straightforward, with no real interaction with people at the other end. Felt like I was interviewing to a bot.

Interview Questions

• They sent an assignment to edit that was barely recognizable as English. I sent back my editing suggestions.   3 Answers

Freelance Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cactus Communications (Remote, OR (US)) in January 2017.

Interview

Submitted an online quiz, this was multiple choice gauging English grammar and scientific content skills. Once passed that (instant feedback), was sent a sample manuscript section to edit with the standard rubric for doing so. Heard back within a week that I had actually not passed that section, but was being offered a different editorial position based off of my scientific background.

Interview Questions

• Which of these statements does NOT have a grammatical error?   Answer Question

Freelance Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Morgantown, WV (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cactus Communications (Morgantown, WV (US)) in January 2016.

Interview

As an autistic person, I find that interviews are quite insurmountable these days. With the freelance position, I was required to take a simple editing test. Once I had passed, I was given a sample piece to edit (only a paragraph or two). I absolutely love that the entire process is performance based. Not having to deal with the stress of social situations/different styles of verbal communication has made the job so enjoyable for me. I recommend it highly for anyone who has struggled with interviews in the past and wants their work to be the deciding factor.

Interview Questions

• Complete a 10-15 question test in your area of expertise.   1 Answer

Freelance Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cactus Communications (New York, NY (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Like several other posters, I uploaded my resume and was immediately sent a skills test. I've been a writer and editor for several years and have a PhD. I didn't meet their benchmark even with this extensive background.
    Several of the questions had no correct answer. And some were just plain personal preference--the most glaring error in a sentence? What strikes me may not bother someone else as much. Also, they use Harvard referencing format which I was not very familiar with and doesn't appear to be widely used in the US. Overall, I'm not sure how they score the test and received no feedback even after contacting them.
    The notice that I did not meet the benchmark came less than a minute after I submitted my test.

Interview Questions

• 1) Suggest the best order for the following sentences. There were several questions like this.
      2) Choosing sentences within incorrect or correct punctuation.   Answer Question

Cactus Communications Response

21 Apr 2015 – Managing Editor - Global Talent Acquisition

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm surprised to hear that our team didn't respond despite you writing to us asking for feedback. Please write to me at pritpalm@cactusglobal.com with your queries and I'll ensure we respond to you as soon as possible.

Also, I just wanted to mention that the online test you attempted is an automated test. So, you are marked based on your responses, and this is why you receive an automated test result almost instantaneously.

I'll wait to hear from you.

Regards,

Pritpal

Freelance Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cactus Communications (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

Based on other people's input, I think their selection process has changed. Immediately after uploading my resume to their website, I was given a link to access an editing test. I took two (in two different expertise areas), and each took about 40 minutes (15 multiple choice questions, but the time flies -- and make sure you are sufficiently caffeinated!). They emailed me the results of the 'screening test' immediately, and I got a vague reply saying that I did not meet their initial benchmark. I am curious how I did on the test because for one of the questions all the answers were incorrect (about in-text citations using Harvard style).

Interview Questions

• Which of the following is a correct usage of the Harvard style?   2 Answers

Freelance Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Cactus Communications (Austin, TX (US)) in May 2013.

Interview

First, I submitted a brief application online.

2 days later, they sent me a link to a more detailed online application form along with an attached editing exercise, a page of text that was full of errors - I was supposed to edit all that text and send it back as an attachment.

2 days after submitting the completed editing exercise, they sent an email acknowledging that they'd received it and that they'd reply "within a few days."

13 days later (that's what they meant by "within a few days") they finally replied and said that I did not get the job and that they were not going to provide any feedback.

The whole process took 17 days.

Freelance Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cactus Communications.

Interview

had to complete two copy editing tests in order to qualify for a freelance editing position. Upon completion and receiving a good result, offeref a freelance or permanent copy editing position.

Freelance Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cactus Communications.

Interview

The interview was all conducted online. There was a test focusing on grammar and editing which you are given an hour and a half to complete. Most of the questions focus on extracting meaning from poorly written sentences and on correct use of grammar. Once I had completed the test, I was emailed within a couple of days informing me I had passed their selection process and was offered the role.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.