Emerson Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Emerson Interview Questions

Interviews at Emerson

2.8

Computer Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Emerson (Madison, WI (US)) in February 2014.

Interview

Very non technical. Was not expecting to get and offer after the interview since i expected a more technical interview to follow. Interviewed by a real engineer, not a recruiter. Interviewer was reading questions from a sheet and recording answers.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult situation you have encountered recently, and the steps you took to overcome it.   2 Answers

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunrise, FL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Emerson (Sunrise, FL (US)) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied online, took around 3 weeks for them to contact me, then they asked me for a group interview wih other engineers of the company. The interview was 45 minutes long, plus I was not the only person that was being interviewed the same day, I had to wait for my turn. The engineers were really nice and friendly, they try their best in order to make you comfortable through the all interview process.

Interview Questions

• Mostly JAVA questions... what is the name the extension of a java application file?? what it is the difference between a Vector and a Hashmap??? some logical questions like.. if you have two classes in your application and want to read from a file at the same time on both of them how would you do it?? also if you two classes that reads from the same file how would you deal or prevent them to access the same file at the same time?? what would you implement?   Answer Question

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ (US)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Emerson (Tempe, AZ (US)) in September 2012.

Interview

A staffing agent initially contacted me about the position. After meeting with him to discuss the position, compensation and what to expect from an interview. He contacted Emerson to setup an interview.

The interview was with four people: the software team manager, the build manager and two senior software engineer. The interview began with the usual description of the company, an explanation of what the typical project was like, and what the company expects from its employees.

The question portion was completely focused on my education, past projects, and which technologies I was familiar with. There weren't really any technical question asked.

After the interview, it took about two weeks for them to contact me about the offer.

Interview Questions

• The only questions asked were about my experience rather than about a specific technology or example.   Answer Question

Janitorial Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chanhassen, MN (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Emerson (Chanhassen, MN (US)) in March 2012.

Interview

no interview process

Leadership Development Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Emerson.

Interview

Talked to recruiter on campus and talked about the program along with a few personality questions. this was followed up by an on campus interview which was once again just running through your resume trying to figure out your experiences. Lastly, an on site interview which gave a tour and then more meetings with leaders in emerson along with current program members.

Interview Questions

• Typical running through resume and leadership questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Binghamton, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Emerson (Binghamton, NY (US)) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received an email to schedule an interview about a month later. I met with the head of engineering then three people that worked in the software engineering department. They were all very kind and enthusiastic.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Emerson.

Interview

First they call and talk to you about your resume for about 30 mins, not any hard questions, they are just trying to get a feel as to what experience you have.

After that screening they schedule an interview.
    The interview lasts about 4 hours, they ask a lot of question and ask you to do some basic algorithms, and they want to see how logically you think.
    Then they take you out to lunch.

Interview Questions

• If you have an linked list with certain values, how can you tell what the highest value is of the list, whether there is a push or a pull.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunrise, FL (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Emerson (Sunrise, FL (US)) in July 2014.

Interview

Initial interview with recruiter followed by a grueling 6 simultaneous technical and non technical interview done in one afternoon. Questions were random since the 6 interviewers were not in the room at the same time. One coming after the other with a different interview approach. Overall it was very disappointing.

Interview Questions

• We like you but you do not possess the experience we required, are you willing to take a step back and accept a lower position with lower pay?   Answer Question

Pay is too low - 20K off advertised amount.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Emerson in November 2013.

Interview

Initial application through the company website. Got an email a few days later with the standard rejection.

Several weeks later got a call from the an emerson recruiter asking if I was interested in another available position. Confirmed interest and arranged a 30 min phone interview with the hiring manager.

Phone screen interview with the hiring manager consisted of some standard behavioural questions, a few about software development processes and a few knowledge based technical questions from the manager - abstract class versus java interface etc. how do you approach chunking up work for a big problem. He went on to describe the role and what they were doing. Got a canned rejection email a few days later .

About 6 weeks later get a call from the recruiter inviting for a whole day onsite interview for the same position (not sure why after getting the rejection email - forgot to ask the recruiter).

Onsite interview was a all day affair. 30 mins meet the with the whole team in a conference room and they ask general questions based on your resume. Then 45-60 min sessions with 4 people and a one hour coding skills interview where you are given a laptop and type out answers to a lot of questions - no discussions, just code a whole slew of them, find factorial, find N prime numbers, etc.

The 1-1 45-60 min session consisted of people coming in a list of prepared questions. Some of them were pleasant and we had a good conversation about the problem questions that they had on their list. But some of them were trying to get through their list of questions as fast as possible not really trying to have a discussion. A lot of it was mostly knowledge based questions about networking. Some were odd ball ones like puzzles. Question about implementing a function call in assembly, virtual memory mapping to physical memory, OOD questions etc. in general all over the map.

4 weeks later still no feedback about candidature - no rejection email either. Tried pinging the recruiter - no response. Have moved on and accepted another position in the meanwhile.

Interview Questions

• Nothing very difficult. Lots of knowledge based questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunrise, FL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Emerson (Sunrise, FL (US)) in June 2010.

Interview

Set up a phone interview through email. Took about 2 days between email and phone interview. More informal technical questions with the main concern being domain design. The position was responsible for designing a multi user domain for a new product that was a merger of two companies by Emmerson, their parent. Described my experience with user domain design and other projects.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.