Equinox Fitness Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Equinox Fitness Interview Questions

Interviews at Equinox Fitness

2.5

Personal Trainer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Equinox Fitness.

Interview

Typical interview questions, "Why this company/What is your training style/How would you describe yourself in three words" The one thing I was caught off guard about was, when responding to the defining yourself in three words question, I was asked to give an example of how that was true.

Overall very straight forward. They're looking for very outgoing and self motivated trainers who will contribute positively to the entire team.

Interview Questions

• "Why are interested in working at Equinox specifically?"
      "Tell me a little bit about yourself?"
      "How would you describe yourself in three words, can you give an example?"   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Equinox Fitness.

Interview

I applied by emailing the associate general manager my resume. I then got a response a day later to set up an interview later that week. The interview is very brief, they ask a bunch of questions just about you in general. They're just looking for someone that is very personable and competent.

Interview Questions

• What do you do in your free time.   2 Answers

Personal Trainer Interview

Interview

Relatively slow. I met with Equinox recruiters at 2 separate career fairs. They mentioned they would get in contact with me, but if I was told a week, I'd have to wait 3.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Equinox Fitness in March 2020.

Interview

Equinox started as great and fell apart quickly.

For the interviews, there is a phone screen, a technical phone screen and multi-interview onsite (all my interviews were conducted virtually). The technical phone screen was fairly simple. I was asked to explain my technical background, projects and interests. There were a ew basic JavaScript React questions and team conflict related questions. It is open-ended. The onsite was short four back to back interviews. Each interview was 30minutes. You meet with potential teammates (engineers), manager and director. All questions were standard: behavioral questions, basic JavaScript questions and discussing a past system design. It is one of the few interviews I did not need to write code for the entire process. It was more high level questions and basic language specific questions. All interviewers were considerate.

After finishing the interview process, I didn't hear back. I waited two weeks and followed up with the recruiter. The email bounced; I received a email stating that address is no longer registered with that domain. I emailed one of the interviewers, a software engineer. It did not bounce but after waiting another week, I received no reply. I emailed the interview scheduler. Then, I received a reply within a few days letting me know that the recruiter no longer works there and they are unsure if the software engineer works there anymore, either. Plus, on hiring is on hold. In these times, putting hiring on hold makes prefect sense. However, I would've expected the recruiters work and contacts be moved to another employee and to receive an email letting me know that. Also, when people leave a company, their emails accounts are active for some time and their emails are forwarded another person so nothing is missed.

It took about three weeks for me to get an answer on my final round interviews. Even though meeting with the team was positive, the incompetence within the Equinox company was very clear. There are several ways this issue could have been mitigated. I wonder how many others in their pipeline received similar treatment.

Interview Questions

• Describe a JavaScript closure, callback and a promise.   Answer Question
    • Describe lifecycle methods and how they are used in JavaScript React.   Answer Question
    • Explain the difference between object-oriented and functional programming.   Answer Question

Membership Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Costa, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Equinox Fitness (La Costa, CA (US)) in March 2020.

Interview

I reached out to Scott (recruiter) to help qualify me for one of the available positions at Equinox. After a friendly and professional conversation, my info was passed along to the corresponding area leadership! Soon, I was sent a calendar invite and even a personalized confirmation email reminding me of the interview two days in advance.

The level of engagement I received during my interview process assured me that every client and employee is truly taken care of and welcome. Overall, I loved the experience of my recruitment process and formal in person interview.

Interview Questions

• In what way would you not like to be lead or coached by your leader?   Answer Question
    • What is something we need to know about you skill wise that is not on your resume?   Answer Question
    • Where would you like to be in five years?   Answer Question

UX Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Equinox Fitness (New York, NY (US)) in February 2020.

Interview

Phone screen with HR, 30 min phone call with hiring manager, 4 in-person interviews with the product team (PM, Product Designer, Data, SR UX Researcher).
    Process went really smoothly until the end - I was told that the HR recruiter would get back to me within 2 days of my in person interview. Recruiter took over a week after the in-person interview to reach back out and asked to chat on the phone. Told me they were going in a different direction, but couldn't share feedback. If that's the case, why not just send an email? Is there something I can work on? Does this role need more experience with _____ ? Is this role just not a fit for me, based on my resume? Should I not apply to similar roles? I understand that the phone call is meant to be more "human" but what is the point if you can't share any feedback? I'm not asking for company secrets here, I just want to know how to improve and find roles that are a better fit.

Interview Questions

• - what usage metrics would you measure on this app (the gym app)?
      - How would you improve the app?
      - How would you interview a user? What questions would you ask?
      - How did you work with data?
      - How did you help the client set KPI?
      - How did you work with different types of designers/developers/do handoff?
      - What is a KPI?
      - What is an MVP?
      - What role did you have on the team?
      - Why do you want this role?
      - What kind of people do you want to work with?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southport, CT (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Equinox Fitness (Southport, CT (US)) in February 2020.

Interview

Arrived for my "interview" 30 minutes early because reviews on Glassdoor and another popular online job board eluded to the possibility of filing out an application once you arrived. There was no application to fill out in this case.

The recruiter was 13 minutes late. She purposely did not acknowledge me (I’d already been forewarned as to the culture and practices of the company by another popular online job board so mentally I was prepared for all the disrespect that went on). The recruiter did not speak on her being late. She made no excuses she ignored me. She seemed upset I was even there. The recruiter met with the 11 o’clock interviewee, white woman in her mid 50’s. Thanks to Glassdoor, once the interviewee met with the operations manager I knew she was hired. While the first interviewee met with the operations manager the recruiter took no time to acknowledge me nor apologize for her lateness. She did not acknowledge the first interview bleeding into my 11:30 a.m. slot, nothing. Me and my time meant nothing to her. Once the first interviewee left the recruiter disappeared. She was trying to stall and waste time hoping I’d get frustrated and leave. I did not. The free flowing online job board had already alerted me to how people such as myself are treated by this company and its employees. It was at least an entertaining mind game watching her try to get the other woman’s eye contact, white as well and young, to acknowledge her secretly but I was watching.

The recruiter only came over once the other interviewee (white female) became visibly upset at her time being wasted. It was now 12:03 p.m. She arrived at 11:28 a.m. The recruiter went to her, introduced herself, reached over shook my hand all the while maintaining eye contact with the other woman. The recruiter then asked the woman if she wanted to do her interview now. The operations manager alerted the recruiter to our arrivals and times we arrived. The recruiter knew I was there before her 11 o’clock arrived. The other interviewee would not allow her to ignore my presence and notified the recruiter that I was there first.

At 12:05 p.m. the recruiter stared blankly at me, asked two questions and was not actively listening. There was no feedback nor responses to anything I said so I kept it extremely short as I was no longer interested in working there (made sure I stated as such) even before the “interview” her behavior was beyond unprofessional, it was entirely disrespectful.

Side note: The manager position for the retail store has been open for 16 months. The Southport CT location has only been open since June 2018. New York Times article (12-05-2019) that states Equinox gyms lose 50% of their employees EVERY YEAR. They also have gone through class-action lawsuits over unpaid wages in the past ten years. Keep that in mind. When you see reviews from personal trainers that tell you to learn as much as you can and leave they mean it.

Thank you Glassdoor and the participants for providing some honest reviews of this company.

Membership Advisor Interview

Interview

Pre-recorded video responses followed by a phone call. Then a few days for final decision. The video responses were easy, but if you messed up you had to erase all your previous answers to re-record responses

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Equinox Fitness.

Interview

A recruiter will reach out to you once you have applied. If you can answer some basic questions and can sell yourself well, then you will be asked to come in for an in-person meeting.

Interview Questions

• What can you tell us about Equinox?   1 Answer

Personal Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newton, MA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Equinox Fitness (Newton, MA (US)) in December 2019.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter then in person interview with FM. The FM clearly didn't read my resume and was looking down at the interview sheet 90% of the time instead of making eye contact. The other person in the room wasn't engaged and was working on a spreadsheet the whole time. The questions were invasive and not job related. I didn't leave the interview feeling good and I didn't want to job anyways after that experience. When I received a call back critiquing me for not receiving the job, I was taken back by how out of touch the FM seemed to be.

Interview Questions

• Describe a personal situation outside of training that was adverse and how you got through it. What are your personal, not fitness related, five worst qualities? How are you working to improve that?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.