Eventbrite Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Eventbrite Interview Questions

Interviews at Eventbrite

2.9

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Eventbrite (San Francisco, CA (US)) in February 2020.

Interview

The interview process at Eventbrite is exploitative and amateurish, which gives a strong indication of how poor the company culture and leadership are. I withdrew my application and would advise anyone else thinking of working at Eventbrite to think again.

Interview process:

Step 1 - Apply for job
    Step 2 - Radio silence for a week, then a phone interview with a recruiter on the other side of the country who sounded like she was at a noisy bar
    Step 3 - Radio silence for another week, then another phone interview with the same recruiter
    Step 4 - Radio silence for two weeks, then a phone interview with the hiring manager
    Step 5 - Radio silence for two more weeks, then another phone call with the recruiter who gave me a written exercise prompt, and wanted to schedule an on-site interview

The scheduled on-site interview was scheduled for 7 hours to meet with 9 people, including 4 who are in a remote office. (Why couldn't those remote interviews happen separately??)

The written exercise prompt was unlike any other interview prompt I've ever seen. They asked me to produce real work product that would be used by the team. It wasn't a hypothetical exercise or merely a measure of my thought process; they were asking for real consulting-type work.

I withdrew my application, prompting a frantic phone call from the hiring manager. I got the impression he wasn't particularly involved in recruiting process and is second guessing his own role at the company.

Upon further research, I came to the conclusion that Eventbrite has poor leadership, incredibly high turnover, and no competitive "moat" around the business. Nothing about their technology is unique or special.

For some fun reading, check out this article about the company - and pay particular attention to the last paragraph: "Inside ‘Briteland’: Stalled Growth and Slumping Morale at Eventbrite"

Interview Questions

• You are a Product Manager who works with a data engineering team and a machine learning team at Eventbrite. An increasing number of internal customers at the company want to use more data in their parts of the Eventbrite platform. Those customers need guidance and support to be able to deliver great data-driven product experiences to creators and attendees with an efficient software development cycle.

Please describe three example products for these customers to help them see how data can improve the end-user experience. These may come from any sector: risk, consumer recommendations, internal tools, etc. and keep in mind that there are three interesting implementation strategies to explore: batch (e.g. overnight), streaming/micro-batch (e.g. real-time or near-real-time), and event-driven (e.g. publish/subscribe).

For one of those example products, please describe: How would you work with your engineering teams to bring it to reality? What products, services, or processes will you recommend? What infrastructure could they use to power these use cases? What limitations would be implied?   1 Answer

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Eventbrite (Nashville, TN (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

Not even a day after I applied online, I received their at-home test which consisted of 3 or more situations where you had to reply to a simulated email and play the role of the position you were interviewing for. This required you to use the website to learn about their event packages and basic math. This took longer than the 20 minutes they suggested it would. A week later I received word about scheduling a phone interview which included about a 10 minute test where you they simulated situations and you played the role of Customer Experience Representative. This was nerve-racking because they expect you to have spent time learning how their system works without any training whatsoever. The tests simply take time going through the website and learning as much as you can about how the job functions beforehand. Not even a few days later I was asked to schedule an in-person interview at the office with 4 different employees lasting about 2 hours. That interview was about a week after that. The office seemed a little unorganized checking me in and out and the interview schedule they had sent me in advance changed the day of. I ended up only speaking with 3 different people and they all asked the same questions and then answered mine. Everyone made me feel comfortable for the most part. Leaving the office was uncomfortable and they didn’t want to answer my question about when I would hear back from them (I guess that was a giveaway that I wasn’t going to get the job). I waited almost 2 weeks before I emailed them asking about whether or not I got the job and the same day someone called me to let me know that I had been denied for the position. They tried to make it a positive situation by saying they will keep my application on record because I was up against many suitable candidates and they enjoyed getting to know me. I definitely think that’s just a front so the company is viewed positively, but at least they tried to be nice I guess...

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Eventbrite?   1 Answer
    • What was the biggest failure you’ve had to overcome?   1 Answer

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Eventbrite (Nashville, TN (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

Everyone was incredibly kind throughout the process, and while I didn't get the job, I gained a massive appreciation for the company and the work they do. After submitting my application, I filled out a brief assessment to test basic math skills and a simulated support response email. From there, I had a phone interview with one manager for about a half-hour and an in-person interview with four members of the team for a little under two hours. It's a long but fair process, and doing your research while maintaining a positive attitude will get you a long way.

Customer Experience - Music Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Eventbrite (Nashville, TN (US)).

Interview

The interview process is long and multi-layered. It's good for the company because the process weeds out those who may not stay or work out longterm.

I had a phone screening with someone from the recruitment team, then followed with a phone interview with the department head about a week later. After that came the in-person interview at the office. This took about 3 hours. I had 30 minute sessions with 5 different people from within and outside the department. After this, I had one more follow up phone screening with the recruiter, at which point I was hired. The whole process took a little less than a month.

Interview Questions

• How does your personal and professional background fit you into our company?   1 Answer
    • Name a time when you went above and beyond   1 Answer
    • What song title describes your work ethic?   1 Answer

10 Jul 2019 – Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for your review and I'm so glad you have joined us! Welcome to the Eventbrite Team!
    - Jonathan Shames

Talent Acquisition Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Eventbrite.

Interview

Lengthy, thorough and a bit repetitive. The unfortunate part was when I did not receive the offer, I took them up on their offer to provide detailed feedback. Several unanswered emails later, and two missed meetings, I still did not have any feedback. I eventually gave up, thankful I did not get an offer to work for a company that lacked common courtesy in professional communication.

Interview Questions

• What programs would you put in place around employee retention?   1 Answer

14 Jun 2019 – Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for sharing, and I'm sorry you didn't have a great experience. Making sure that we have a high touch process is important to me, and I'd love to learn more about how we could improve. Please feel free to reach out to me if you would like. I hope you'll consider Eventbrite in the future!
    Jonathan
    Jshames@eventbrite.com

Customer Experience Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN (US)

Application

The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Eventbrite (Nashville, TN (US)) in May 2019.

Interview

They sent me a 2 page test to take prior to speaking with anyone on the phone in regards to the position. The test was largely word problems that consisted of a lot of math. I emailed the person back to let them know I had completed it and was curious on next steps but he never responded.

Interview Questions

Eventbrite Response

14 Jun 2019 – Talent Acquisition Director

Hi, thank you for sharing your feedback. I would love know a bit more about your experience. Please feel free to reach out to me. It's important to me that we have a hiring and interview process that works both for our business and for you!
    Jonathan
    JShames@eventbrite.com

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Eventbrite (Nashville, TN (US)) in April 2019.

Interview

One of the strangest interview processes I've ever been part of. I would approach Eventbrite with caution. If their product development approach even remotely resembles their interview process, mind the red flags. They extended a verbal offer during my interview process and reneged three weeks later after dragging their feet to formalize a written offer.

Went in for an on-site at their Nashville office (interview with a Senior PM, engineering lead). Remote interviews with four product leaders at their SF office. Was then given a 4+ homework assignment because they were unable to make up their minds. Eventbrite then came back with a verbal offer. From there they started dragging their feet. I'm not sure if it was just miscommunciation with the recruiter (which was very poor throughout the whole process, i.e. texts on a Friday night at 7pm saying they'll touch base Monday with no explanation). Then unresponsive for two weeks before hearing they changed their minds and were no longer extending an offer.

The entire interview process was unprofessional and disorganized, to say the least. There are great product and technology teams in Nashville, Eventbrite is not one of them. You can't get much worse than a verbal offer that gets retracted.

Interview Questions

• Evaluate the current pros and cons of Eventbrite’s current business model.   1 Answer
    • Pick one different business model (non-ticketing transaction fees) that you think has the biggest opportunity to increase ticketing volume and revenue for Eventbrite. Explain why you chose this business model and evaluate its pros and cons.   1 Answer
    • How would you go about testing this business model? Explain your product development approach and how you would measure success.   1 Answer
    • Decline in events created by 10% week over week, what do you do?   1 Answer

30 May 2019 – Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We pride ourselves on having a great recruiting process no matter role & location. If you are comfortable, I would be happy to connect with you directly to learn how we can improve. I hope you'll consider Eventbrite in the future!
    -Jonathan Shames, Director Talent Acquisition

Manager Interview

Interview

They did not seem to know what they were looking for in applicants and seemed pretty disorganized and were unusually slow to follow up with me. At one point I almost forgot I was still interviewing with them.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Eventbrite (San Francisco, CA (US)) in January 2019.

Interview

It started off great. The recruiter was very encouraging and did a good job shepherding me through the initial steps. But once the process began in earnest, it just went on and on. I ended up doing 2 recruiter calls, 1 technical phone screen, 1 take-home test and 2 on-sites before the final decision. By the end I felt like I'd interviewed with half the company.

The on-site questions were very odd. Not much was covered in statistics & probability, modeling, SQL or data science in Python. Instead they were mainly behavioral, and there was one question about ranking scores without using dataframes and another one about debugging a calculator (?). I struggle to see how these questions can help them pick the right candidate. Frankly it just felt like a waste of time for everyone involved.

Also, the reason for the rejection was that I didn't have the requisite experience for the role, even though in previous conversations I was told that I had more experience than needed and they were willing to give me a higher base salary if I got the job. Go figure.

Interview Questions

• Given a calculator function but not the script, what inputs would you feed it to see if it contains any bugs.   1 Answer
    • If you could have any data in the world, what data would you want to see?   1 Answer
    • What are your top 3 qualities?   1 Answer
    • What is one important thing you learned at work last year?   1 Answer

Market Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Eventbrite (Nashville, TN (US)).

Interview

There were 2 phone interviews and would have been 1 homework assignment and 1 in person interview. The first interview was very casual. However, the second phone interview was a series of situational questions not always based off past situations.

Interview Questions

• The questions were all situational in the second phone interview. The first phone interview was very casual.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.