Facebook Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 20 Sep 2018
4,384 Interview Reviews

3.1

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook in November 2017.

Interview

It was fast. A recruiter reached out to me for a role at FB. After 3 days, the same recruiter reached out to see if I can do a phone interview with the hiring manager at FB.

Community Organizer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in August 2016.

Interview

It was very structured with a FB recruiter and it first involved phone interviews then onto VC interviews. The VC interviews showcased an actual person on the team and your hiring manager. I think its most important to hit it well with your hiring manager because they are the ones who will be your boss. Overall they have a fair system where each interviewer goes and does an objective rating on how the interview went I believe.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the struggles faced with this position?   Answer Question

Facebook Response

2 Oct 2016 – Your Friends at Facebook

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We're glad to hear that your interview experience was positive. Please stay connected with us through our talent communities! Facebook Careers on... More

Computer Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

You'll start out with a 55-minute interview. They'll be a short introduction that's followed by some problem solving (typically problems from InterviewBit or LeetCode). This is the most important part of the process. If you're slow or you stumble, then you won't get a call back.

Interview Questions

• Find the successor in Binary Search Tree.   1 Answer
    • Partition an array such that all non-zero values are at the beginning.   3 Answers

Construction Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)) in July 2017.

Interview

Interview #1
    Recruiter Phone Screen with recruiter

Interview #2
    Phone screen with another recruiter

Interview #3
    Technical Video Interview with the hiring manager.

Interview #4
    Technical video interview with hiring manager's counterpart

*each of these video interviews were technical leader from the group to discuss my technical abilities.

Flew to Menlo Park - met with 8 people, for an all-day interview. My understanding at this point, it is about - "do we want to work with each other?" and not "are you capable enough".

So I met with 8 people including my hiring manager's boss' boss.

It was a great day, great conversations, great people.

A couple of days later the recruiting manager stated the group of 8 met and have decided to recommend me for employment to the executives that would be next week. Winner!

Or so I thought.

The following week I heard from the recruiting manager. My hiring manager's immediate supervisor asked to meet me on a video call. Now if you recall, at Menlo Park I met this person's supervisor, next level up, for an interview.

So, the recommendation was put on hold until this interview was done, interview #13. We met online, after I was preparing for a PMP test the last 24 hours for the next day.

Long story short - and remember - interviews 3 and 4 were about discussing my capabilities. Well, this individual had a concern about my capabilities. 13 interviews, flying across country for 3 days, and now my experience is an issue. So, instead of moving forward with the position, they wanted to give me a lesser position in a different locale.

So, the recruiter told me this info and asked what I wanted to do. I ask to speak to this individual to understand what the concern is, either with the last person I met, or his supervisor or the hiring manager.

A couple days later I met with the hiring manager. Quick pause for backstory - during the interview process, I made it very clear that my career (due to my age and tenure) and how I fit in the organization now and future opportunities are the largest drivers to my decision.
    Back to the call - the hiring mentioned I take this lesser position until I was ready to advance to the next level. I responded with "How long do you envision?" He responded, "Well, I don't know, that's up to you." - That response is when they lost me. Here's why:
    1. We had to go this far down the road for this to be a "concern."
    2. Understanding they are buying the risk, and I'm not, I can't question their "concern" but I feel the issue is a non-sense .
    3. I view development is a two-way street. I have responsibility to grow and produce. The hiring manager and employer have a responsibility to layout a strategy and milestone timeline and how and when they expect that development to occur.

When the hiring manager told me, "I don't know, that's up to you." That told me two things:
    1. They were not paying attention to my largest decision maker, my career.
    2. They did not give this any thought and they should have before they had the conversation. To me, it meant I was going to or could sit in this position indefinitely, and due to my age and tenure I wasn't going to invest time without some idea of strategy for advancement.

So, I stated I would need a day and will get back to the recruiter.

I spoke to the recruiter the next day and withdrew my name for consideration for the following reasons:

1. I was disheartened to learn the team was not mindful to my concerns,
    2. Was going to propose a lesser position, until I was ready to advance without some sort of strategy,
    3. It doesn't seem like the immediate hiring team is aligned in expectations,
    4. That it went this far for this concern to be identified.

The recruiter, who was awesome, asked if she could change their mind would I reconsider. I stated, I wouldn't "...because the concern has been identified and I don't want to work in a position where my supervisors are already on record thinking I am not capable."

I did learn I was the 24th person interviewed, in some regard, for this position.

Last thing - up until this point, Facebook ran the most efficient recruitment process I have seen. Very engaging and driving the process. Also, they are very awesome and nice group of people, all very pleasant that I would enjoy collaborating with.

They just need to get their act together and front end the driving concerns not back end it.

Contract Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA (US)) in January 2018.

Interview

Was contacted by a Recruiter who did an initial phone screen followed by a web chat with the hiring manager, quite possibly the most unprofesssional interview process I have experienced. Never heard back despite being told I would hear back in 24-48 hours. The hiring manager also got me mixed up with another candidate and then spent half the conversation trying to figure out who I was! Justified this by saying I had a common name. Also proceeded to give me the workplace, name and location of the person they thought I was, talk about candidate confidentiality!

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult search.
      Tell me about your sourcing process.   Answer Question

Contractor Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Interviewing at Facebook for a contractor position has already been a tremendous experience. The employees I have encountered are welcoming, supportive and very knowledgable. Process went as follows: Initial screening, case study, interview loop with 3-4 people.

Contractor Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA (US)) in February 2016.

Interview

they seem rushed while interviewing but ask good question that are focused on your past work and what the job is. They also describe themselves first so that there is less tension. you are put in this little room so the 1 on 1 interviews are private which helps with the nerves

Interview Questions

• "Tell me a time you had to critique someone in your past"   1 Answer

Negotiation

I would ask a lot of questions before you are unable to reach someone after

Facebook Response

19 Apr 2016 – Your Friends at Facebook

Thanks for sharing your interview experience. We're glad to hear that you felt 'put at ease' through the process. Welcome to Facebook! - Your Friends at Facebook

Performance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)) in September 2017.

Interview

Not a blatant bait and switch but nearly. Older generation manager - fair minded - watch out for the younger types. My concern arose when I asked about other technologies used and was given the message - "you're off the reservation". Right away I knew this was not going to be a good match. The job did not fit the profile of what I call a performance engineer - it was more an equipment management sizing role.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would size the number of servers for a service   Answer Question

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA (US)) in June 2016.

Interview

Someone who said they were from Facebook finally identified herself as a recruiter division who had no idea what position I would be best suited for in their organization. It was a total waste of both her time and mine since so little effort was actually put into recruiting quality candidates.

Interview Questions

• What position do I hold now?   1 Answer
    • How much are you paid today?   1 Answer

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA (US)) in February 2013.

Interview

After a mild phone interview through a recruiter and an easy engineer screening I was flown down to San Francisco for a series of in-person interviews. (Nice vacation! 2 nights in a hotel, free flights, and sightseeing expenses). Interview itself was a brief tour of the campus, then put in a room with a whiteboard and 5 rounds of interviewers. Didn't get the job, which I owe to a very nervous first two interviews which weren't spared by what I thought were great later ones. The team lead even showed up for the fifth which turned into a great chat. Format was solid and just wish I'd been less nervous and more used to coding in front of people. Seems you need to do well on all fronts to make the job. Be warned!

Interview Questions

• Write the code to reverse each word in a string in-place. Describe it in Big O notation. (Can't remember but I believe there were additional twists thrown in too)   3 Answers

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.