Facebook Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Interviews at Facebook

6,173 Interview Reviews

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
    The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
    a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY (US)) in March 2020.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me over email and set up a phone interview for the following week for a 15-minute call. I guess next round would have been with a hiring manager

Interview Questions

• PLEASE DON'T TAKE THE PHONE SCREENING LIGHTLY! I did and got rejected. I was expecting SQL questions and in general talk about my resume but she asked me a question on product sense and I was completely unprepared for it. Creation of Facebook user groups has gone down by 20%, what will you do? sounds simple but I messed it up so badly. I was just blabbering anything in an unstructured way, I sounded so stupid and not even fit for a small company forget Facebook. The recruiter was nice and she did not say anything but I were to hear my own answer, I would reject myself on spot. I regret it so much wish I could have prepared for it. I hope someone sees this and it helps them.

The SQL questions were easy and I did answer them correctly- what kind of joins to get only common rows, what the natural sorting order etc.   6 Answers

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Telephonic Interview: 30 mins SQL and 30 mins coding.
    Expectation: 4/5 in SQL should be correct and 3/5 in coding should be correct.

Most of the folks have already explained this process in detail so will jump on the interview questions.

Interview Questions

• want you to write me a simple spell checking engine.

The query language is a very simple regular expression-like language, with one special character: . (the dot character), which means EXACTLY ONE character (it can be any character). So, for example, 'c.t' would match 'cat' as the dot matches any character. There may be any number of dot characters in the query (or none).

Your spell checker will have to be optimized for speed, so you will have to write it in the required way. There would be a one-time setUp() function that does any pre-processing you require, and then there will be an isMatch() function that should run as fast as possible, utilizing that pre-processing.

There are some examples below, feel free to ask for clarification.

Word List:

[cat, bat, rat, drat, dart, drab]

Queries:

..... -> false
      h.t -> false
      c. -> false

// write a function
      // Struct setup(List<String> list_of_words)
      // Do whatever processing you want here
      // with reasonable efficiency.
      // Return whatever data structures you want.
      // This function will only run once

// write a function
      // bool isMatch(Struct struct, String query)
      // Returns whether the query is a match in the
      // dictionary (True/False)
      // Should be optimized for speed   8 Answers
    • Given an array of integers, we would like to determine whether the array is monotonic (non-decreasing/non-increasing) or not.
      Examples:
      // 1 4 6 3
      // false

//1 1 1 1 1 1
      // true   13 Answers
    • Calculate the average word length.
      For the given set of words return the average word length.   6 Answers
      | area_sqft | int | | gender | varchar |
      +-------------------+---------+ | date_account_opened | date |
                                            +---------------------+---------+

Question 1:
      What brands have an average price above $3 and contain at least 2 different products?

Question 2:
        To improve sales, the marketing department runs various types of promotions.
        The marketing manager would like to analyze the effectiveness of these promotion campaigns.
        In particular, what percent of our sales transactions had a valid promotion applied?

Question 3:
        We want to run a new promotion for our most successful category of products
        (we call these categories “product classes”).
        Can you find out what are the top 3 selling product classes by total sales?

Question 4:
          We are considering running a promo across brands. We want to target
          customers who have bought products from two specific brands.
          Can you find out which customers have bought products from both the
          “Fort West" and the "Golden" brands?   6 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)) in May 2020.

Interview

COVID-19 Interview Experience:

Since I had a great resume (ex-Lyft, ex-Airbnb, ex-Segment), the recruiter scheduled a virtual onsite by skipping the technical phone interviews. I asked the recruiter to give me 4 weeks before the interview so that I could prepare for it. Here's what I did:

Coding: I solved ALL the medium problems on Cracking the Coding Interview book. I also solved 20 Medium and 5 Hard questions on Leetcode. Also booked 2 chesky.ai interviews a week before the interview.

System Design: Didn't really prepare much since I have a ton of experience as a senior engineer.

The interview lasted for about 5-6 hours. It was surprisingly not too overwhelming. I definitely prefer this style over onsite interviews tbh. The only downside was the system design portion. I had a whiteboard facing the camera so the positioning was rather odd.

For folks that are interviewing virtually (I guess everyone right now?), GET A WHITEBOARD and face it in front of the camera. Trust me. You'll appreciate this advice :)

Interview Questions

• Design "stories" (like Instagram and Whatsapp). Stories disappear after friends view them, and are only available for 24 hours after publishing.   9 Answers
    • LRU Cache   6 Answers
    • Clone Graph   1 Answer
    • K closest points to origin   1 Answer

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Sunnyvale, CA (US)) in June 2020.

Interview

I interviewed for the Market Specialist, Measurement Team position via video call. First call was with the recruiter. We talked about the position and it was very casual and fun actually. I was only asked one question which was, "Tell me about your current job and background and what you're doing".

The 2nd interview was supposed to be with an actual employee, but due to complications with scheduling, I instead interviewed with the Hiring Manager. This was definitely very pressuring. Overall though, it wasn't too bad, just make sure to really practice and have clear examples from your work experience. Also make sure to stay relaxed so you can answer the question clearly.

If you do move on to the next stage, it is a 3 back-to-back interview process. The 3 topics of this last interview is with the Hiring Manager and 2 other people individually:
    1) Market knowledge - know your market enough - what are top 3 violations groups,
    2) Critical thinking skills - not really much about FB but several case studies to know your logical thinking and analytical thinking. Prepare to answer case study questions.
    3) Talking with manager - career path. Make sure motivation is aligned with role. Test understanding of role and career path moving forward

The best tip I received was to make sure you have clear, great examples for each bullet point & description of the job posting.

As a Market Specialist for Facebook, you should pretty much be very aware of trends in your area.

I want to thank Glassdoor because all of the questions on Glassdoor for this role were asked in my 1 on 1 interview. Make sure to read and practice everyone else' posts on here.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, give me a headline about what you do   Answer Question
    • What is your understanding of this role? And what motivates you about this position?   2 Answers
    • Questions about the market. Asked me about North America Market: How do people abuse trends in your market? Give examples.   Answer Question
    • How do you identify is a user is under 13 years old? Since we have a rule for under 13 users.   Answer Question
    • What are some potentially abusive trends in your market? Give examples.   Answer Question
    • How do you identify if content posted on Facebook should be allowed?   1 Answer
    • How do you work in teams? Or how do you work in deep collaboration?   1 Answer
    • Tell me a time you faced a difficult situation and how did you overcome it.   1 Answer
    • What are some of the groups that are facing hate speech in your market? Or what groups in your market could face abuse from current trends?   Answer Question
    • How do you work cross functional teams? Give me an example.   Answer Question
    • This role deals with graphic content. Are you okay with that? How do you feel about seeing graphic content?   Answer Question

Software Development Intern Interview

Interview

It was a 45 minute skype interview where I was asked 2 algorithmic questions. I was not allowed a compiler and had to manually test the code. The questions were very similar to ones you might find on hackerrank or leetcode.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Recruiter saw my profile on LinkedIn and contacted me. I had a video interview for the initial process. The recruiter and the Technical interviewer are nice. This is a 30 minute initial technical screen and 2 questions were supposed to be asked but I made it only one.

Malware Analyst Interview

Interview

The engineer was very friendly to talk with. The job req was wide open and I was not a good fit. My technical skills were not what they wanted. They should have had a more narrow req if they want people with database skills.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Interviewer was nice. But the new was poor, I don't know if there is problem with my net or the interviewer's net. Also I cannot understand the interviewer's pronunciation for many times. So the interview process was not well. I complained about this to hr but didn't get the second chance.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Applied online and then a recruiter reached out to schedule a technical phone interview. The phone interview was done on a coderpad type platform where the interviewer gave me a question and I had to code it and explain my thought process.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.