Interview Question

Software Engineer Interview

-Sydney

Google

Find the longest subsequence of duplicate numbers in an array of sorted numbers.

Answer

Interview Answers

5 Answers

Hi there, can you elaborate on what you mean by using a binary search? I've been thinking about what you said for the last 10 minutes and I can't understand would a binary search help here. Just curious, thanks

Interview Answer Explanation? on

Jumping in powers of 2 would be O(log n) for best case scenario rather than linear search's O(n). Worst case scenario they would both be O(n). Logic: - Let n be the position you are currently checking for the longest subsequence (starts at 0) - K = 0 - While arr[n] == arr[n + 2^K] do - K++ - If 2^K is > the previously known longest subsequence - Binary search between 2^K-1 and 2^K to find the exact length of the current sequence - Store it as the longest known subsequence - Repeat with n as the position you are at now + 1

Anonymous on

A binary search with two partitions (i.e. partition list into thirds) will get you a logarithmic time solution. I got this solution, but I think I took too long to do it compared to the other candidates.

Anonymous on

If the array is sorted, you can simply go through elements one by one and count the duplicate numbers. The complexity is linear. Could it be so trivial?

Anonymous on

Linear is o(n), binary search takes just o(logn)

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.