Flight Centre Travel Group Sales Travel Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Flight Centre Travel Group Sales Travel Consultant Interview Questions

Interviews at Flight Centre Travel Group

2.7

Travel/Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Chicago, IL (US)) in October 2011.

Interview

I received an automated email telling me I was invited to come in for a group interview a few weeks after I submitted an online application. I picked a day out of three choices and submitted my request online. I never spoke to anyone until the day of the interview, on my way to location which they had sent me they day before. A woman called to give me the suite number because it apparently never mentioned in the e-mail. I had looked it up though anyway.

I get there and there are four of us, including me. Two are interviewing for a more management type role and two of us are interviewing for the Entry-Level Sales Consultant/Travel Agent position. First, the recruiter gives us an hour long powerpoint presentation about the job and the company in all it's glory. How great it is to work there, all the perks, this, that and the other thing.

Then she tells us our first task is to partner off talk to each other for 5 minutes and then make a presentation to her of why she should hire the other person.

The next task is sort of like a game. It's a NASA Moon Survival game where we need to rank items in order of importance to take with us on a mission. We then need to compare our answers and ultimately come to a unanimous group decision in which she watches us and basicaly rates our selling/ability to be persuasive skills.

After the second assessment, we are all lead outside and she brings us one by one in to tell us whether or not she wants to move us forward. When I go in, I am told that she would like to move me to next stage in the hiring process and proceed with a background check.

Next morning, 8am, she calls and has someone get on the phone with me for a background check, they ask all sorts of questions. She had initially said she wanted the whole process to be completed in 5-7 days. Then she tells me she's going on vacation so I will hear from someone else in recruitment to continue the process.

A few days later, I play phone tag with another recruiter who ultimately schedules me to go in for an "In-Store Assessment" at the downtown location. An official e-mail schedules it and tells me I'll be there for 2-3 hours.

When I get there, the team leader introduces me to the two other travel agents, and gives some paperwork to fill out, easy questions to answer, although I do have to google some of it - airport codes and vacation spots and what not. Then we go have a private "interview" in a cafe across the hall. It's all generic interview questions, he's not really listening to me at all, he doesn't really care what I have to say, he's just going through the motions, I can tell.

Initially, he told me there would be an assessment at the end, where I would have to "mock sell" him a trip. After our 1:1 interview, however, he concluded my day and told me they would be in touch. He never did the final assessment with me, he must have seen all he had needed to see. He did tell me, however, that I had done very well on my paper quizzes.

I assumed I didn't so well, considering I was there for less than half the time I was supposed to be there.

I received a phone call 12 days later saying they were not moving forward with my candidacy.

Overall, I'd say the interview was process was not overly difficult, just long and they never really got to know me as a person at all. Everything was so automated and distant, how could they really ever tell I was a good candidate or not?

Works out okay though, I wasn't too amped for the job.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Flight Centre Travel Group

Travel Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group in August 2016.

Interview

Submit generic application with CV, phone interview, group assessment including behavioral questions 1-on-1 as well as geographic quiz and numerical test, referee check, offer of employment shortly after completion of all steps

Interview Questions

• Describe an occasion where you have had to overcome a challenge?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Melbourne) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online answered a few questions and attached resume. Got an email the next day saying I've progressed to the next stage which is a brief telephone conversation, which is scheduled at your convenience. The phone conversation lasted about 10min. I was asked more questions by a very friendly recruitment officer. After which she said I had progressed to the next round which is another email where I need to complete an online self assessment and an appointment time for face to face interviewing in a weeks time. (And after reading all the other comments on here I will be studying all weekend) I am yet to do the self assessment and face to face. Below are the questions I got asked in the telephone interview

Interview Questions

• Why Flight Centre?
      Why do I think I'd be good for the position?
      What's the most memorable thing that's happened on a trip?
      Would I be comfortable with a starting salary of 30k plus commission?
      Am I ok with working weekends, public holidays 7.30-5.30 and till 9 Thursday & Friday?
      Am I available to work on a rotating shift?
      Is there anything happening in my life in the next 12minths that will effect my training?
      Am I available to attend an interview next week?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Unsure haven't fully finished the interview process

Travel Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in North Sydney, NS (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (North Sydney, NS (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

I didn't have to do a phone interview and went straight to the group interview at the Travel Academy in North Sydney. I had anticipated a more group involved interview however we were basically tested individually just all at once. We were to complete a verbal selling task and a written task. The verbal task tested us on our natural selling ability, as well as our understanding of feature and benefit selling. We were given a small card with all the information from which we had 1 minute to read and 1 minute to sell this. The written task contained a dialogue between a travel consultant and a client and a general travel brochure. From this we were to deduce the destination country, accommodation, airline and flight times the client was alluding to. We were explicitly told there was only one correct answer which put fair pressure, as well as it being a timed task.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Melbourne).

Interview

Stage 1- online application.
    Why do you want to work for the company?
    Relevant experience
    Countries traveled to.

Stage 2- phone interview.
    Basic interview questions, why flight centre?
    What encouraged you to apply?
    Just gathering further information into your work history, reasons for applying, wanting to learn more about you and also testing how you are on the phone, so make sure your confident and well spoken.
    They'll briefly go over wages, commission and hours.

Stage 3- Group interview.
    Shown some slides about flight centre and what it's like to work for the company.
    If you know who the founder is and how flight centre begun then you might just earn some brownie points!

Sales! Spending 5 minutes getting to know your partner and selling them to a small group as to why they would be perfect for the position and the company.
    Focus less on where they've travelled and more on what they have to offer (sales, revelenat experience, customer service etc) just be confident and make eye contact.

Geography test!
    Nothing scary, but it does help to do some research.
    Capital cities.
    Main airlines for certain companies.
    Pin pointed where locations are on a map (I had La, Las Vegas and New York)
    Where major things are held (Oktoberfest = Munich Germany)
    Identify major landmarks (Big Ben etc)
    Ski destinations in Australia, wine regions.
    Bit of everything, but should be pretty easy for someone with travelling experience.

Maths test! 45 minutes
    Working prices out for a holiday
    Cancellation fees
    Insurance
    Car hire
    Accomodation
    Commission
    Brush up on your percentages and working out commission.
    Calculators are provided and you can write out as much as you like.

During this you'll be pulled aside to to do your role play!

Role play!
    You could get any destination, you don't have to know about the destination and can make up fake names and locations.
    Be friendly, welcoming and make sure you cover who, what, why, when and how.
    You only have four minutes to sell the holiday, which goes extremely fast! If you can close the sale it is preferred or at least organise a follow up time to contact them.
    Up sell and have solutions for any road blocks they may throw at you (I don't like that airline) they will be fussy on purpose.

Morning tea break.
    After this they will eliminate anyone they don't find suitable and send them home. They do it discretely and ensure not to cause any embarrassment.

The people remaining will learn about commission and the global ball and get you pumped up for what could be on offer if you're successful.

Council meeting!
    We then did a group activitiy where we had to appeal to a council member and tell them why we should be granted permission to open a flight centre store in their town.
    How it will benifet their town and why a travel agency is better than the internet!

Last step of the group interview

Behavioural questions!
    Small groups again and questions like 'name a time you provided excellent customer service'
    Those type of questions.
    Be as detailed as possible and be truthful in your answers. Paint the interviewer a picture and allow them to imagine you in that situation. Keep it short and sweet and make sure you finish off by answering their question.

Home time!!

Overall not as scary as I first thought, do some reasearch, read through the other posts on the page, be confident and make friends! It'll make the day much more enjoyable and will help with group activities.

Good luck!!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Melbourne) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online and received and email 10 minutes later stating that they were impressed with my application and to organise a time for a brief phone interview (5-10mins). If you aren't available for the first lot of times provided email them back and they will send you links to the schedules of other recruitment team members who do the phone interviews.
    The phone interview lasted for 6.5 minutes and it was more her explaining things about the company than an actual interview. At the end she said I had moved onto the next stage of the recruitment process and told me the dates of the recruitment days
    She then sent me and email with the link to a psych test and all the info regarding the recruitment day.

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply for this role?
      What has been your biggest achievement in your current role?
      Do you have a fond travel memory from a decent trip?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Adelaide

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Adelaide) in August 2017.

Interview

The interview process was set out in three stages. After the initial expression of interest online, successful applicants would receive a phone call. This was pretty basic, just talking about yourself - current employment, why you are interested in the position.

The second stage involved a 2 hour (approx.) group interview at head office, after completing a personality test online. For this interview 6 people had been selected. We had to introduce ourselves to the group, then the job description was explained further. Our interviewer allowed time for questions. We were presented with three tests. The first was a very basic geography quiz (10 minutes) - capitals of countries, questions about places within Australia. The second test involved mathematical problem solving (40 minutes). The scenario presented was about a family wanting to go on holiday, with a choice of flights, hotels, car rentals, insurance and tour packages. One of the key focuses was that you could work out the commission.

The third part of the day required each individual to go into another room with the interview and role play a typical travel sales consultant-customer exchange (4 minutes). During the briefing she indicated that we did not need to reference specific hotels or even place names, if we were not familiar with the destination. We could say "Carpet Hotel", "Ceiling Tours" or "Doorway Insurance" for all it mattered.

The most disappointing part about this stage was the selection process. Whilst we waited for the interviewer to grade all our tests during the interview, we could talk amongst the group. Two applicants were to be selected to go through to the third stage - training. The two that ended up being chosen said that they genuinely did not know the capital of New Zealand ... one of Australia's closest neighbours! (not to mention other geographical knowledge lacking). The role is of course a sales consultant role, however it is surprising that the company is happy to select applicants that cannot demonstrate even basic geographical knowledge.

The positive is that the interviewer did allow us to call her up the next day if we wanted to know how we could improve. The downside to this is a waiting period of 6 months before one can apply to any of the travel businesses in the Flight Centre Group.

We were told that the job was best suited to someone who wanted long-term employment. They seem to offer many training opportunities throughout employment, however the job is very much commission-based, with a need to basically earn the right to sit at your desk in your particular shop before you earn any commission for yourself. The interviewer almost outright said that you would not be making much money until your third year.

Interview Questions

• What was your best or worst travel experience (answer ONE only)?   1 Answer

Travel Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nanaimo, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Nanaimo, BC (Canada)) in September 2017.

Interview

Once you fill the application online, if you pass, you get a phone interview which is scheduled and last 15 minutes. The person will contact you directly right on time.

Interview Questions

• What did you do at your job the last 2 years?   Answer Question
    • Why did you apply specifically to Flight Centre?   Answer Question
    • What are your travels for the last past 5 years?   Answer Question
    • Can you work days and evenings, and also week-ends day on a rotation?   Answer Question
    • The salary offered is based on 27 000$ per year for a full time (40 hours) + commissions that can go up to 30 000$. Are you ok with it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hunter

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Hunter) in January 2016.

Interview

I received an email back the next day saying they were impressed with my resume. I had to make a booking for a week later for a phone interview. After a couple of minutes of questions;

Why do you want to work Here?

Where have you travelled?

What do you believe the role of a travel sales consultant is?

Previous sales experience?

Etc

I was told I would be emailed back about an in store interview within two days. A week later I still hadn't been emailed back so I waited a few more days before calling the recruitment centre. I was told that unfortunately they had already hired someone with previous travel sales experience and that I should definitely apply in future.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Melbourne) in April 2017.

Interview

After completing an online questionnaire I received an appointment for telephone interview. The phone interview was easy. More of an information session about remuneration, hours etc than an interview. Need to be aware that it's a base salary and strong focus on commission. If you don't agree with that you don't proceed in the process. Also if you have applied for a position in a particular location you are not guaranteed. You can be placed anywhere.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Flight Centre?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.