Glassdoor Sales Development Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Glassdoor Sales Development Representative Interview Questions

Interviews at Glassdoor

3.2

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Glassdoor (Mill Valley, CA (US)) in May 2014.

Interview

First part is a 30 min phone call with fairly standard questions, no curve balls. Next step is meeting with 3 different sales managers and one other Sales Development Rep. They want to know why you're leaving your last job, why you want to do sales, and whether or not you'd be a cultural fit. The last step, I was asked to make a slide deck and do a 15 min presentation a few days later back at the office in front of the same managers and a handful of the team.

Interview Questions

• One of the interviewers told me from the beginning that he didn't think I was a good fit and to change his mind.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary and comp structure is standard for this role. No need to negotiate.

Other Interview Reviews for Glassdoor

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Glassdoor (Sausalito, CA (US)) in May 2014.

Interview

I discovered the position through an Account Executive already employed at Glassdoor. I applied online and sent my resume and cover letter to this employee. Within a few days I received an email asking to schedule a phone conversation. Communication was consistent, prompt and pleasant. The best interview experience I've ever had!

Interview Questions

• How do you like my interview style?   1 Answer
    • What are some common interview questions that you hear?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No, negotiation. I used Glassdoor to research the position so I knew what would be offered.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sausalito, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Glassdoor (Sausalito, CA (US)).

Interview

The initial connection was very fast. Within two days of sending in my resume, I received an email asking for a phone interview.

The phone interview was very comfortable and smooth. The interviewer asked simple questions that allowed you to elaborate on your previous work experience.

One of the best parts of the entire process was after they invited me to interview on-site, the interviewer gave me feedback on my phone interview. This gave me some idea on how to prepare for the on-site interview.

Glassdoor had just transitioned into a new office so I do not want to be a harsh critic, but they were a little unorganized. Prior to me coming in they sent me an email saying I would be interviewing with 4 different members of the Glassdoor team, which allows you to do some research on who you will be speaking with. However, after speaking to the first 3 interviewers I was left in a room for around 10 minutes while they "tracked down" the last interviewer, only to find that he was not available and would not be seeing me.

This was not too upsetting, just seemed a little disrespectful. That being said, the community at Glassdoor has some of the nicest and smartest individuals I have ever met. This made it very difficult to gauge the how the interview went. That is not a criticism, in fact they are one of the few companies that make the interview process comfortable and enjoyable. Even if you do not receive an offer, you will leave the building feeling good.

They said they would be in contact by email. After a week and a follow-up email they sent me an email saying they were going a different direction. Very forward and there was no reason why or why not. I even sent an email asking for feedback so I could improve on my interviewing skills and received no response.
    I found this to be a little disrespectful, but of course they are not required to do that.

Interview Questions

• It was an entry-level position, expect to elaborate on your past work experience and how it can translate into this position   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sausalito, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Glassdoor (Sausalito, CA (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

Straightforward. I was asked a lot of the same questions from different people interviewing me in the sales dept. After initial phone screening and interview, the final step is a presentation on yourself and your education, work experience, and desire to work at Glassdoor. Repetitive interview process as you tell your story 3 people on the team, plus the SDR manager.

During the interview and presentations, talk about your failures, overcoming hard times, and seem REALLY excited about phone sales. They don't care a lot about who you are, but they do want to hear about your sales successes--make sure you really want to be calling companies all day, merely setting appointments for the execs. This is the entire role of an SDR and if this thrills you, you will fit in just fine.

I was not as excited for the particular role of calling companies all day than I was about working for the company, which seemed to be the main hesitation to bring me on to the "team." The job itself seems mindless and repetitive but the company has a smaller SDR team than Trulia, Salesforce, etc. so could be good for those coming from those kinds of companies.

A red flag brought up multiple times to me by several on the team, was how many companies call angrily about negative reviews left by disgruntled employees. How would I handle such angry clients? This question was posed by different people throughout the interview process so it must be a common issue they deal with on the sales team.

Ultimately, the sales team seems to be a mold you either fit--or you don't and they will vote "yes" or "no" on you, just like a reality TV show once you step out of the room after your presentation.

Very informal and the whole team is under 30. I felt like I was back in high school in some ways. Still, there seem to be a lot of happy people there and if you fit the mold or want some practice interviewing around, it's worth the trip out there.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed? What did you do to overcome it?   Answer Question

14 Apr 2015 – Manager, Sales Development

Thank you for your feedback. It's clear from your review that I did not clearly communicate to you the process and also that I did not articulate to you why we were asking the types of questions that... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sausalito, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Glassdoor (Sausalito, CA (US)) in November 2014.

Interview

Initial phone interview went well. Asked basic questions and asked to do a run through of my resume. A week later I was scheduled for an onsite interview. The Sales Manager was to be my first interviewer at 1pm. He strolled down to get me around 1:15pm and then proceeded to wander around for another 5 minutes (with myself following), while he sluggishly dragged his feet around the building half-heartedly looking for an open room. After multiple trips back and forth around the office, he finally was able to pick a room, fabulous, good job Sales Manager. We sit down, he looks at me with this slimy smirk and tells me he doesn't have my resume. Great, I'll hand him a nice new shiny one I brought along as extra. He blankly stares at my resume, appearing to care less, so he just throws out the question: why do I want to work in sales? I answer with a story/example/and personal traits that have made me decide to pursue sales. He then asks why I find sales rewarding. I tell him I like helping a customer achieve their goals and that it gives me satisfaction. He then asks WHY I like helping people. I tell him it makes me happy. He then asks WHY it makes me happy. I give him another example of my passion for working with people. He continues to beat this subject to death by AGAIN asking me WHY what makes me happy makes me happy. At that moment I knew this "Sales Manager" was completely unprepared and arrogant beyond belief. No thanks Glassdoor. I do not want to work for a company that has this unprepared, rude employee as your first face for new and excited interviewers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mill Valley, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Glassdoor (Mill Valley, CA (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

First was a basic phone screen, he asked why sales, tell me about yourself, what's your relevant experience, etc, then he gave me some feedback right away which I loved. he said he would send me some available times to come in for the next round but he never sent that email. so I called and emailed. He returned my call and apologized for not following up and thanked me for calling. At that point he couldn't squeeze me in anymore in the time I was in town as planned since he was off to Mexico. That is cool that employees get to go on a work trip to Mexico but frustrating when I came from out of town. So we had a skype interview, which turned into another phone interview since the connection at their office was no good. I spoke with 3 wonderful ladies/happy employees and was stoked on the job. He was supposed to pick up the phone and call me right back to wrap up this round of interviewing but he never did! half hour later I again called and emailed. Nothing. I understand if you feel I am not a good fit for the job but this is disrespectful when I have given my time to not even FINISH the interview! It hurt my feelings to be honest, like am I that bad of a candidate?! I emailed 2 weeks later as a final attempt to wrap up, got a bounceback email that he was now on a european vacation. (Why is he wrapped up in hiring processes if he isn't even around, of course things go unfinished!) He did then reply to say that they talked about me and chose to not continue with my application. Well that would be nice for ME to know!

The employees seem happy and I believe it is probably a great place to work. Inability to exercise any etiquette during my interview process may reflect on something about the company though.

Interview Questions

• the second round interviews felt like a nice fun conversation, I enjoyed speaking with 3 employees   Answer Question

14 Apr 2015 – Manager, Sales Development

I'm very sorry about your experience. I think that I got so caught up in the day to day that I didn't realize how this effected you. I don't want you to think that it is a reflection on you being a... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mill Valley, CA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Glassdoor (Mill Valley, CA (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

I had a phone screen at first that went great the lady was super stoked on me and sent me to the next stage which was to talk to the sales manager. I then spoke with the sales manager about three days later and he asked pretty standard questions. This process of the interview went great and the people were awesome and seemed really stoked to have me come in.

My in person interview was a few weeks later and I spoke with four people. None of these people I feel had the right to decide if I was a good candidate. Two of them were people in the SDR role that I was applying for and although they were nice people it was kind of a joke. The other people I spoke too was someone who was not even involved in the position I was applying for and then the sales manager. Even though everyone was nice, they were young maybe in their 20s and I have to say again not the people I would hope would be hiring me..... With all that said I left feeling great like I killed the interview only to find a few days later that I did not get the job. I think that if a company is not interested in you they should not act like they are.

After all that I talked to many more much better companies that pay way better. I really do not think glassdoor really knows what they are doing or looking for when it comes to hiring someone. Not to brag but I had five other offers from better companies that pay way better in the end and I am happy where I ended up. I think glassdoor is a great company and they do helpful things, but the people running the sales floor are young and do not have the right to choose candidates for the position.

Interview Questions

• So what was the most successful thing you did at your last job?   Answer Question

14 Apr 2015 – Manager, Sales Development

I apologize that you did not hear back from us on our decision to move in another direction. A big goal of mine is to provide a better candidate experience and part of that is keeping you in the... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mill Valley, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Glassdoor (Mill Valley, CA (US)) in June 2015.

Interview

Short phone screen, my interviewer was 45 mins late, but was very apologetic and offered to reschedule. The in person interview was with 2 current sales reps, a sales manager and the hiring manager. Overall enjoyable it had a nice casual feel, perhaps I was too comfortable because I didn't get an offer. There was a role playing exercise with feedback, but no

Interview Questions

• How did you measure success in your past jobs?
      How do you handle pressure?
      What motivates you?   Answer Question

17 Jun 2015 – Manager, Sales Development

Thank you for your review. I'm glad that you had a positive experience interviewing with us though we should have emailed you sooner if we were going to be running so late during a screen. I'm trying... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mill Valley, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Glassdoor (Mill Valley, CA (US)) in May 2015.

Interview

I had both positive and negative experiences interviewing with Glassdoor. I actually applied for multiple positions with Glassdoor, because I was really interested in working for such a reputable company.

Initially I was contacted to set up a phone screening for the LDR position. We scheduled and even confirmed a time, but I never received a call. After about half an hour had passed I emailed the rep to inquire about the problem and schedule a new time. She suggested that she had the wrong phone number, asked if I could resend it, and offered 3 new times for the following day. I resent the same number listed on my resume and selected the first available time. However, I received an email the next morning saying that she no longer had any times available and would be leaving town. She then asked if I could follow up with her in the middle of the next week to see when she might next be available to do the screening. Obviously there were some red flags by this point, but I agreed to follow up with her the next Wednesday, per her request. However, before I could follow up with her that Wednesday I received an automated email saying that they would be moving forward with a select few candidates. I thought it was somewhat disrespectful to send an automated response when she had personally asked me to contact her. I understand that things happen and situations change. It just would have been more courteous to at least take the time to copy and paste the response to her own email address after stringing me along for 2 weeks. If I had only one word to describe this experience, it would be "unprofessional."

But having thoroughly researched Glassdoor, I thought this experience was far more likely representative of the individual than of the company as a whole. Fortunately, I was contacted about the SDR position and found that to be the case. This time I actually received the call and did the phone screening. The recruiter was very friendly and mostly asked about my previous experience and why I was interested in working for Glassdoor. Things went well and she scheduled me for an onsite interview with 4 members of the SDR team: the SDR Manager, the 2 Team Leads, and a team member.

I interviewed with each of these representatives individually. This became a little redundant as I was asked many of the same questions by each interviewer. Overall, however, it was a very enjoyable experience. The first 3 interviewers were very friendly and conversational. The second Team Lead interview was the only one that wasn't friendly. That interview was more interrogational than conversational. From the outset, it felt like I was being treated as a hostile witness expected to defend my responses as opposed to describe my experiences and qualifications. Of the four onsite interviews, it was the only one that was not enjoyable. However, It was definitely good practice "thinking on your feet." Each interview lasted roughly 30 minutes, for a total of two hours on site.

Before the onsite interviews, I was asked to complete an online evaluation. This turned out to be a personality, math, and logic test. So if your math is rusty, you might want to brush up on your algebra before starting the evaluation.

My ultimate impression of Glassdoor is that it is a good company, with a good culture, and mostly happy friendly employees. However, they do seem to be suffering some problems, likely due to their rapid growth.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time you failed and what did you do to overcome it?   Answer Question
    • What are the three most important skills needed to exceed in a sales position   Answer Question

17 Jun 2015 – Manager, Sales Development

I appreciate your review and candid feedback on the SDR/LDR interview process. It definitely sounds like your experience was not uniform with our sales and lead development organization (both SDR/LDR... More

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Glassdoor (Sausalito, CA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

First interview was half an hour over the phone, mostly got asked questions about why I wanted to be in Sales, as my background wasn't. Second interview was the following Wednesday (one week later) on-site, and I had four half an hour interviews with two SDRs, a Marketing Coordinator, and a Team Lead. Final round was the following Monday, and consisted of a 15 minute presentation about myself and why I wanted to be an SDR, followed by a 15 minute period of Q and A.

Interview Questions

Glassdoor Response

20 May 2015 – Manager, Sales Development

Thank you for sharing your interview experience. Welcome to the team!

Eric Gonzalez
    Senior Manager, Sales Development

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.