Google Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

11,293 Interview Reviews

3.3

1. Helpful (2036)

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA (US)) in April 2014.

Interview

Direct onsite because I interviewed in the past and did well that time. From the time I sent my resume to interview day: 2 weeks. From interview day to offer over the phone: 2 weeks.

The syllabus for the interviews is very clear and simple:
    1) Dynamic Programming
    2) Super recursion (permutation, combination,...2^n, m^n, n!...etc. type of program. (NP hard, NP programs)
    3) Probability related programs
    4) Graphs: BFS/DFS are usually enough
    5) All basic data structures from Arrays/Lists to circular queues, BSTs, Hash tables, B-Trees, and Red-Black trees, and all basic algorithms like sorting, binary search, median,...
    6) Problem solving ability at a level similar to TopCoder Division 1, 250 points. If you can consistently solve these, then you are almost sure to get in with 2-weeks brush up.
    7) Review all old interview questions in Glassdoor to get a feel. If you can solve 95% of them at home (including coding them up quickly and testing them out in a debugger + editor setup), you are in good shape.
    8) Practice coding--write often and write a lot. If you can think of a solution, you should be able to code it easily...without much thought.
    9) Very good to have for design interview: distributed systems knowledge and practical experience.
    10) Good understanding of basic discrete math, computer architecture, basic math.
    11) Coursera courses and assignments give a lot of what you need to know.
    12) Note that all the above except the first 2 are useful in "real life" programming too!

Interview 1:
    Graph related question and super recursion

Interview 2:
    Design discussion involving a distributed system with writes/reads going on at different sites in parallel.

Interview 3:
    Array and Tree related questions

Interview 4:
    Designing a simple class to do something. Not hard, but not easy either. You need to know basic data structures very well to consider different designs and trade-offs.

Interview 5:
    Dynamic programming,
    Computer architecture and low level perf. enhancement question which requires knowledge of Trees, binary search, etc.

At the end, I wasn't tired and rather enjoyed the discussions. I think the key was long term preparation and time spent doing topcoder for several years (on and off as I enjoy solving the problems).

Conclusion: "It's not the best who win the race; it's the best prepared who win it."

Negotiation

You can and should negotiate politely. You are in a stronger position if you have another offer, but even otherwise, you should ask for more of every type of payment!

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview:
    The Interviewer was late for 20 mins... Ask nothing on my resume.
    Tow questions:
    1) A string consists of ‘0’, ‘1’ and '?'. The question mark can be either '0' or '1'. Find all possible combinations for a string.
    2) Give you a text file, remove duplicated lines.
        Follow up: If the file is very large, general hash map takes too much spaces, come up with a better solution.

Summer Intern Interview

Interview

I applied online, had to write answers to essay questions, then had two 45 minute phone interviews. I had a coding challenge and personality test. Pretty typical coding interview overall.

Interview Questions

• Given a string A consisting of n characters and a string B consisting of m characters, write a function that will return the number of times A must be stated such that B is a substring of the repeated A. If B can never be a substring, return -1.   Answer Question

STEP Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

After submitting the application online, I got scheduled 2 back to back phone technical interviews. Each one is 45 min long, with 15 min break in between. They both start with an easy question and a follow up afterwards, as well as questions about runtime and efficiency.

Interview Questions

• leet code easy question, I don't remember what exactly it is now. One of the two interviews asked a question from the first 20 leet code question list.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

2 round technical interview with 2 engineers for an internship position. Both were quick and around 45 minutes-1 hour long, completely technical with a few minutes for questions. The interviews were back to back with a few minutes in between.

Interview Questions

• What is a linked list? Can you design one (explain components, write pseudocode)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

Contact with hr recruiter, nice , then setup a mock interview that was also good and teaching. Then two interviews in which was asked technical questions. Interviewer wasn't cooperative, questions were vague and hard to understand.

Interview Questions

• find the common elements within two lists   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Same as always, contacted through a recruiter, submitted my resume and details. Contacted by HR but didn't hear back quickly since the process is difficult and takes time. I was asked personality questions and some experience questions but that was it

STEP Intern Interview

Interview

Applied online and a recruiter reached out to schedule two 45 minute phone interviews where we coded on a blank Google document. Seemed like they cared a lot more about learning while doing the problems rather than just getting the problems correct. I then got an email about going to the hiring committee a few weeks later. Then I received the offer about a month after that.

Softare Engineer Interview

Interview

First is one round of online code problems. Then I have two continuous code interviews with two engineers. The questions are not very difficult. The process was using a google doc to read the question and write codes while interacting with interviewers.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember the exact questions, but I do remember the critical point is using binary or.   Answer Question

Solutions Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

The entire hiring and interview process has been amazing.

Google is a company that has a difficult selection process, they are looking to really get to know who you are and what you can bring to the company.

My recruiter has guided me through this entire process and helped me to reach my full potential.

The process consists of several interviews were you will be asked different types of questions to get to know your experiences, problem solving capabilities and thought process.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.