Google Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

3,170 Interview Reviews

3.4

3,170 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google in September 2014.

Interview

HR staff calls you to talk about your interest in the job, your location preference, and the interviewing process. They schedule for you a phone screen interview. The phone screen is a 45 minute technical interview: you code with the interviewer in a Google Doc. If you pass the phone screen (or two), you're invited to on-campus interviews. On-campus interview takes all day: 4 or 5 technical interviews of 45 minutes each, plus one hour lunch with an engineer. Each technical interview you are talking to one engineer, solving technical problems by describing algorithms and coding on the white board. Interviewers want to see how you think and code. They don't ask about your past experience or education.

Your interviews submit their reviews to a hiring committee, which makes the decision whether to make an offer. It takes about two weeks for the HR staff to call you back to let you know if you got an offer.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to come up with an algorithm for a problem that I was unfamiliar with and did not know the parameters of.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Applied through a recruiter about 1+ year after first contact. There were only phone screens and an on-site interview; no coding interview over the phone (perhaps because I was referred by somebody inside). Their preparatory e-resources helped, but the space of possible questions is limitless, and there's only so much that one can study. Personally, it's been 10+ years since I last had to delete a node from a binary tree, so my algorithms were rusty, although I did study.

During the on-site visit, there were five technical interviews plus lunch. I'd say all were considerate and respectful, but two of them were not very polished communicators, in my opinion. My lunch was accompanied by a friendly engineer -- the best part of the day.

Interview Questions

• I'll (mostly) respect the NDA, but one starter question was "in Python, what is a generator". Got that one; the rest, not so much.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

The interview process starts with a phone call where they ask some basic questions about your education background and then ask you to take an online coding test at codility. There were two coding question one easy one difficult. If you clear this phase then there is an 1 hour technical telephonic interview which is to test your depth of knowledge. its pretty hard. after that there will be several onsite interviews in a day.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google in October 2014.

Interview

It's Phone Interview. First, he asked me some questions about projects on my resume, some low level questions. Then coding, merge intervals which is on Leetcode. Then I asked some questions about him. One word, it's not enough to just practice algorithm question!

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied online and got an email the next day saying that I am a good fit for the position. HR was friendly. She set me up for technical interview next week over the phone. I was made to write code in this interview on a Google doc.

Interview Questions

• The questions were not that difficult, I just wasn't prepared enough. I was asked to implement an LRU cache. Interviewer was patient and helped me through it.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I applied online and the process took about three weeks. Then it was two back-to-back 45 minutes general technology interviews. The interviewers were nice and helpful. One week later, I was asked to do an additional 45-min general tech interview. They didn't say much about why but it was hard. Unfortunately I didn't make to the next round.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA. But they were pretty common coding questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Applied online and three weeks later received an E-mail from the recruiter saying that I'm going to have two on-site interviews at the Fremont Google office in Seattle. Each interview takes 45 minutes. The questions are straightforward, involving array searching, binary tree searching, and recursion/DP, but I got stuck in one question and took a while to finish it. One week later I got the rejection letter.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Interview process is fairly normal, but recruiters can be fairly slow with responding. The host-matching process can take an excruciating amount of time, so be aware of that. Most recruiters are decent in their speed at replying emails, but there were some windows of time that took a bit too long.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I get in touch with Google Recruiter through an employee referral. The recruiter is so cool, and some informal discussion about my background and he explained the interview procedure. One week after they organized a phone interview, but the phone line was pretty bad and very hard to understand what the interviewer is asking. I think it my unlucky day and everything was uncomfortable. All the questions were unexpected and no small mistakes are tolerated.

Interview Questions

• Reorganize array of numbers in "s1 < s2 > s3 < s4 >.... " fashion. The numbers may include duplicates.   6 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google in September 2014.

Interview

Applied online, and received an interview request within a couple of days.

Did a 45 minute interview which stretched to be an hour. The interviewer was kind of nice, talked about what they did, and their experience at Google. They also asked me about my previous experiences in school and work. We jumped into the technical question. Ended up getting a reply a week after the interview stating that they going forward with me in the job interview process.

I didn't study enough for the interview... make sure you are prepared.

Interview Questions

• NDA.

But, it was an algorithmic problem involving arrays.   Answer Question