Google Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Interviews at Google

3,315 Interview Reviews

3.4

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

Submit a resume, after submission IF selected you then have to take a survey to let them know a little bit more about yourself and complete a coding exam. After coding exam no results are shown however you're contacted in roughly a week as to whether or not you'll have an in person interview.

Interview Questions

• The coding exam. Be prepared for anything. Two questions in an hour isn't the easiest. The first is easy but the second is far more challenging.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY (US)) in January 2011.

Interview

Hands down one of the best experiences I have had. HR contacted me for a phone interview. Gave an interview and within 2 hours, I got a call for onsite interview.
    The onsite interview had 5 rounds plus on lunch interview. The questions were based into 3 categories - Coding, Design and Open ended questions and interviewers are required to make sure all these categories are covered thoroughly.
    Interviews were more like discussions and interviewers treated me like a human who can make mistakes rather than some machine which will spew out answers the next second.

Interview Questions

• Open ended questions were quite interesting - How would Google transfer data between phone and its cloud when it doesn't own the cell tower.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. HR wasn't open to any negotiation or I was quite bad at it.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Applied through a recruiter about 1+ year after first contact. There were only phone screens and an on-site interview; no coding interview over the phone (perhaps because I was referred by somebody inside). Their preparatory e-resources helped, but the space of possible questions is limitless, and there's only so much that one can study. Personally, it's been 10+ years since I last had to delete a node from a binary tree, so my algorithms were rusty, although I did study.

During the on-site visit, there were five technical interviews plus lunch. I'd say all were considerate and respectful, but two of them were not very polished communicators, in my opinion. My lunch was accompanied by a friendly engineer -- the best part of the day.

Interview Questions

• I'll (mostly) respect the NDA, but one starter question was "in Python, what is a generator". Got that one; the rest, not so much.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google in September 2014.

Interview

HR staff calls you to talk about your interest in the job, your location preference, and the interviewing process. They schedule for you a phone screen interview. The phone screen is a 45 minute technical interview: you code with the interviewer in a Google Doc. If you pass the phone screen (or two), you're invited to on-campus interviews. On-campus interview takes all day: 4 or 5 technical interviews of 45 minutes each, plus one hour lunch with an engineer. Each technical interview you are talking to one engineer, solving technical problems by describing algorithms and coding on the white board. Interviewers want to see how you think and code. They don't ask about your past experience or education.

Your interviews submit their reviews to a hiring committee, which makes the decision whether to make an offer. It takes about two weeks for the HR staff to call you back to let you know if you got an offer.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to come up with an algorithm for a problem that I was unfamiliar with and did not know the parameters of.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

First round, you will have a phone interview. They will ask some basic programming question and one technical questions. Asking writing code on Google Doc.
    Second round, another phone Interview, ask another round technical questions.

Stop it this point.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google in October 2014.

Interview

It's Phone Interview. First, he asked me some questions about projects on my resume, some low level questions. Then coding, merge intervals which is on Leetcode. Then I asked some questions about him. One word, it's not enough to just practice algorithm question!

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Interview process is fairly normal, but recruiters can be fairly slow with responding. The host-matching process can take an excruciating amount of time, so be aware of that. Most recruiters are decent in their speed at replying emails, but there were some windows of time that took a bit too long.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Applied online and three weeks later received an E-mail from the recruiter saying that I'm going to have two on-site interviews at the Fremont Google office in Seattle. Each interview takes 45 minutes. The questions are straightforward, involving array searching, binary tree searching, and recursion/DP, but I got stuck in one question and took a while to finish it. One week later I got the rejection letter.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I get in touch with Google Recruiter through an employee referral. The recruiter is so cool, and some informal discussion about my background and he explained the interview procedure. One week after they organized a phone interview, but the phone line was pretty bad and very hard to understand what the interviewer is asking. I think it my unlucky day and everything was uncomfortable. All the questions were unexpected and no small mistakes are tolerated.

Interview Questions

• Reorganize array of numbers in "s1 < s2 > s3 < s4 >.... " fashion. The numbers may include duplicates.   6 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (San Jose, CA (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

it took about 2 weeks to process phone interview from submitting my resume. most of question were regarding my status and basic concept of data structure and algorithm. they asked me about only BASIC CONCEPT which are written in textbooks and looked like they wanted me to answer exactly the same answer in textbooks. when I tried to explain using examples, they asked me to usel very specific wording.

Interview Questions

• nothing special, just typical interview questions which are more likely be in midterm exams   Answer Question