Hulu Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Hulu Interview Questions

Interviews at Hulu

3.1

Contract Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hulu.

Interview

I had a phone interview & was asked to come in for an onsite. I arrived & waited an entire hour before the person who invited me in knowledged me. She said she didn't know I was there and the person who I was supposed to interview with was no longer available. She said she would call me later to reschedule. I never heard back. As a recruiter, I found this to be a horrible candidate experience and terribly unprofessional. If this is representative of how employees are treated or company culture, I can't recommend applying.

Interview Questions

• No questions asked because the interview didn't happen.   1 Answer

Associate Brand Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Hulu (Santa Monica, CA (US)) in March 2016.

Interview

First interview was a phone interview with the two hiring managers. HR then had me put together a very extensive work sample project before I could move onto the next round. There were 3 questions, but it really broke down to 5 different questions in each question. I thought the questions were relevant and well thought out, but it was a lot of work for a lower level title. For the final round I went to the Hulu office in Santa Monica for a 4 hour interview where I met with 10 different people. Everyone was nice/young/smart overall - but I don't like this style as it doesn't give the candidate a chance to really get to know the hiring manager or vice versa. Sure, it's nice to get other people's opinions on a candidate but the hiring manager should really be the one spending quality time with the candidate and getting to know them. One of the hiring managers I met with seemed so rushed like I was inconveniencing her by taking 30 minutes of her time, not a good first impression.

The part that really bothered me, though, was the way HR handled me as an applicant. They promised to get back to me by the end of the following week, and I didn't hear back until 2.5 weeks later. I didn't receive an offer and HR emailed me with a generic statement about how feedback was good, stay in touch, etc. Comparatively, I was a finalist at Netflix and their HR team called me every step of the way to deliver me information which I found much more respectful. I spent hours and hours on this interview and preparing a work sample, the least I could have gotten was a call to inform me of a final decision.

Interview Questions

• This was a marketing interview so many people asked me to talk about a campaign I liked in the marketplace and why. Other questions were standard interview questions discussing prior campaigns I've handled from start to finish, describe a challenge you've overcome, etc.   1 Answer

Associate Campaign Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hulu (New York, NY (US)) in February 2013.

Interview

This process was long, repetitive and draining. They were all very nice but the whole process is way too long and take a lot of your time especially when you have to take time off, if you currently have a job. There are 4-5 separated phone interviews, then an all day in person interview and Skype interview. They kept basically asking the same questions every time. Way too long, especially if they feel they were not going hire me.

Associate Media Manager Interview

Interview

It was a phone interview and took about 20 minutes to complete. It was done by a HR manager, I didn't get a chance to speak to the manager yet.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Hulu?   1 Answer

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Hulu (San Jose, CA (US)) in March 2014.

Interview

DON'T INTERVIEW WITH THESE GUYS. They give you 20 minutes to decipher two intentionally obscured piece of code and explain what the purpose of them are. When I had difficulty following their terrible code, the interviewer actually ended the interview early and just said "sorry this isn't going very well, I'm going to hang up now bye.".

Most people do whiteboard coding, this was the total opposite and you get treated very poorly. There are better startups out there and they do better things for the world. Hulu displays ads even when you're a paying customer, do you really want to support that crap?

Interview Questions

• What does this terrible, unrealistic, no-one-would-ever-be-allowed-to-write-this code do?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hulu in October 2014.

Interview

Hulu's HR is great and has super fast response time. Applied at university and got an email within a few days. First round was a timed online coding problem which was a breeze for me.

Second round is to write code on the web using something like Google Docs during phone interview. The questions were quite hard, but manageable. The interviewer didn't care about what I was saying, and he walked away from the phone many times during the interview when I was coding and had to ask him for clarifications. When I got a chance to ask him questions, he told me "I don't know" to everything - even his opinions on working at the position. I did not even get a "thank you" before he hang up.

However, HR followed up promptly and politely with me every time.

Interview Questions

• Implement LRU Cache (hint: any method other than their desired answer is wrong)   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Hulu (Los Angeles, CA (US)).

Interview

Recruiter contacted me in Linkedin. And I did the 1st phone screen 10 days later. The next day I was told that I took the 2nd phone interview and scheduled it a week later. Didn't get the on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• 1st phone:

Anagram problem, merge two sorted linked list, and the last ten minutes talked about LRU.

2nd phone:

The problem was easy to understand, but I believe the solution would be really long. I didn't get it right, so failed on here.

Given a string, parse it and return a string array. It's like a tokenizer, but the rules are too...

For exmple, string="abc(edf)hij{klmn}opq[rst]uvw"

The delimitors are (), {}, []. They are in pair. So output array:

["abc", "edf", "hij", "klmn", "opq", "rst", "uvw"]

That's the rule 1. The rule 2 is, if any two consecutive "(" means escaping, that is "((" is actually output char "(". It's not part of the delimitor. Similar to ")", "{", "}", "[", "]".

abc(e))df) => ["abc", "e)df"], since the "))" outpus ")".

Rule 3: if "{" is inside a delimitor pair (), then "{" isn't part of the delimitor. Output it as is.

abc(e{df}}g) => ["abc", "e{df}}g"]

So, parse the given string and assume the given string is always valid and parsable.

I think state machine is a good direction. But I didn't finish it.   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hulu (Santa Monica, CA (US)).

Interview

Submitted online and get contacted by company HR. First round of phone interview, the same as all the others on glassdoor. Give two code segments 15 min before the call and was asked what is the code doing, time complexity.
    Second round of phone interview, asked to write code to print company hierarchy. Used hashtable. Get the rejection letter the second business day.

Interview Questions

• A coding question to print company hierarchy.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Hulu in June 2013.

Interview

Phone interview: sample code was given. It is about finding our if two strings consist of the same set of characters. The code is a complex and implemented using recursion with one utility function to remove ith character from a given string.

Interview Questions

• Asked about the run time of the code.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Online Test in an hour

Interview Questions

• Should solve all problems in the time   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.