Macfarlanes Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Interviews at Macfarlanes

3.2

Vacation Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Macfarlanes (London, England (UK)) in January 2020.

Interview

I applied online - the application form was very long. I was then invited to attend as Assessment Day. This involved a group negotiation exercise, an in-tray exercise, a written exercise and a partner interview.

Vacation Scheme Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macfarlanes (London, England (UK)) in February 2019.

Interview

Group exercise + case study analysis with a partner and associate. You also get a tour of the office and an hour-ish shadowing with a current trainee at the firm.

Associate Lawyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Macfarlanes (London, England (UK)) in November 2018.

Interview

Very relaxed interview style with a partner and senior associate. No technical questions were asked whatsoever. Interview was more of a conversation to determine team fit. Interviewers spent a lot of time selling Macfarlanes as a place to work.

Summer Vacation Scheme Interview

Interview

The Assessment Day started off with a negotiation exercise, then written and then a really short interview. The interview consisted of 10 minutes of an in tray exercise (you will read something short for 15 mins before the interview) and then 10 minutes CV based interview. Then after the process, we had the chance to shadow a trainee in a specific department.

Training Contract Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macfarlanes.

Interview

I applied for a Training Contract directly. At the assessment centre I did a written exercise, an interview and a group exercise. Even though I didn't get the offer I enjoyed the day and the feedback they gave afterwards was helpful.

Vacation Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Macfarlanes (London, England (UK)) in January 2018.

Interview

Very long online application followed by an assessment day (9:30am-4:30pm). Assessment day consisted of group negotiation exercise, written exercise advising a fictitious client and partner interview. The partner interview was only 20 minutes long and involved answering questions on a case study and general competency questions. They only left about 10 minutes to answer general competency questions at the end.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macfarlanes (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Online application. Then if successful invited to an assessment day. Assessment day comprised of talks from NQ's and grad rec, a negotiation group exercise, a written exercise, an unseen scenario interview and an interview with a partner.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macfarlanes (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Very friendly and relaxed. The partners make no attempts to intimidate or cross-examine you. Make sure you have convincing answers to questions like why law, why Macfarlanes, why haven't you done vac schemes, what other firms have you applied to, how have you demonstrated resilience etc. Just really know what you are good and bad at. Honesty, friendliness and a polite attitude make it a far more pleasant experience for the partners. The written exercise focussed on drafting a partner memo and a client complaint response. Justify every decision you make and don't leave out points that are both for and against your client. The case study focusses on a series of scenarios under tight timed conditions.

Solicitor Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macfarlanes (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Fair process and thoughtful questions. .

Interview Questions

• Looking for commercial acumen. .   1 Answer

Training Contract Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macfarlanes.

Interview

Assessment Centre:

1 partner interview - standard interview, cv and commerciality based.

1 partner - commerciality interview - interview about current affairs and your recommendations for how the firm would deal with certain cases.

1 negotiation exercise - group work based exercise with a partner. Quite standard

1 written exercise - drafting a memo to a partner and a letter to a client to resolve a complaint.

Interview Questions

• All relatively straight forward. Coming up with solutions to current legal issues was a bit tricky.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.