Microsoft Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Find jobs for Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II

Microsoft Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in April 2012.

Interview

MS Need to improve communication & interview process

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in January 2011.

Interview

Went on site interview. Interviewers was nice and recruiter prepared and calmed me for the upcoming interviews. Went through 5 interviews but did not get an offer. Interview questions ranged from algo questions to design questions.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in March 2008.

Interview

It was a very smooth process. It helps to work as a contractor or vendor for a team in which you are interested before going full-time to access the team.

Interview Questions

• A question about Linked Lists   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was quite short since I jumped on the offer I was given as it was very good

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in April 2011.

Interview

The interview process was really intimidating, but all the interviewers did a lot to keep me comfortable and motivated.

Interview Questions

• Test the Find - Replace Dialog   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in June 2009.

Interview

Got a friend within the company to make a referral with my resume. Received email not long after asking for a 1/2 hr long phone interview. Had to download meeting software that allows the other side to see what you are typing in real time. Interviewer asked technical questions, mainly basic programming questions like string manipulation and binary trees and some pertaining to servers. Way beyond my knowledge as a fresh graduate.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between public, private and protected classes?   1 Answer
    • Describe a binary search tree   Answer Question
    • What is a garbage collector and how does it function?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in January 2010.

Interview

1. Code up StrStr
    2. OO questions like difference between encapsulation and inheritance
    3. Reverse a linked list

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in October 2009.

Interview

Phone Interview:
    1.Why Microsoft?

On Site
    1. Staffing Partner: Which company would you choose if you get an offer from the company you are interning at or Microsoft?
    2. First Interviewer (Senior Developer): Tell me about yourself?
    Tell me about your project?

3. Peer Software Engineer: Gave me design question about designing a gambling website where all the participants know that the other guy is not playing foul.

4. Lunch interview: Asked given a BST find the second largest element?

Interview Questions

• Gave me design question about designing a gambling website where all the participants know that the other guy is not playing foul.   Answer Question
    • Given a BST find the second largest element?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in February 2009.

Interview

I applied on microsoft.com/careers for multiple positions. About a month later I was emailed a document which included some questions asking me to rate myself in various programming languages as well as a coding question. The question was to implement a function that returned true if a linked list had a cycle in it.

After filling out and returning the document I was setup for a phone interview with the team. During the phone interview I was asked some soft questions about my interests in technology, background, etc. I was also asked how I would implement a function to convert a character array into an integer. I was told I would be hearing from them again.

The next day the recruiter emailed me to setup an in person interview in Redmond, Washington. On the day of the interview I went to the wrong building and ended up barely making my interview time. Tip - arrive early!

*Interviewer 1 - SDET: Soft questions about background, then jumped into a coding question. How would I reverse words in a paragraph of text. I coded it out and he pointed out a bug, which I fixed.

*Interviewer 2 - Lead SDE: Jumped right into a coding question. There's a tree where in addition to the left/right pointers, there's another pointer set to NULL. I was to write a function to traverse the tree, initializing that pointer to the nodes sibling. So basically just connecting up the levels of the tree.

*Interviewer 3 - Lead SDET: Print tree level by level. I coded up a solution in 10 minutes and ran some test cases through it. He then sold me on his team.

*Interviewer 4 - Lead SDET: No coding question. The entire interview was me writing a test plan to test a robot.

*Interviewer 5 - Development Manager: Some chit chat about resume, then a coding question. Print the count of letters in an array. So if the array was "ababac", I would print a - 3, b - 2, c - 1.

After the interview the manager said I would hear from them soon. Next day I was given an offer, contingent on a background check.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Don't take the first offer, especially if you know you did well in the interview. Ask for more and a sign-on bonus.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in January 2009.

Interview

I had two simultaneous loops for two different positions at Microsoft, got selected in both and I accepted the one I thought was best suited for me.
    The interview process started with emailed questionnaire that included personal + problem solving type questions. Then the loops themselves contained 5 interviews each. The interviewers were from the team that needed the candidate.
    I was asked to comment on lot of actual scenario/daily problems and their solution. The 1:1 interview had questions mainly on algorithms and testing scenarios.
    Overall it was a typical Microsoft interview. The key to crack it is being confident answering and being strong in the fundamentals (datastructures, algorithms)

Interview Questions

• Write a function that will take in a phone number and output all possible alphabetical combinations (found in a normal phone keypad) for it.   Answer Question
    • How would you test the function above?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in December 2010.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter. The recruiter was very helpful throughout the process even though I did not get the job.

I had 2 phone screenings: one by the recruiter which was general questions and some technical trivia. The other was a more technical interview consisting of some coding and testing problems.

Then I was flown over to Redmond and had 4 interviews back to back on campus. They weere all very technical and testing oriented.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview 1: How would you test an instant messenger system? How would you sort a large array?   Answer Question
    • Phone interview 2: Write a function that accepts a string and returns the number of words in it. How will you test it?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.