Microsoft Interview Questions in Reading, UK | Glassdoor.com.au

Interviews at Microsoft

3.2

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in November 2012.

Interview

Graduate programme uses assessment centre approach, with very little weighting on technical interview. Several observed group activities, including providing product recommendations, creating a "promotional video message". Leads into individual interviews, including behavioural, and very very mild technical (basic Fizz-Buzz style questions). Eventual wait for confirmation/offer is then several weeks after. Expect delays.

Interview Questions

• Standard behavioural questions, pertaining to "Dissatisfied Customer", "Bad News to customer", "Disagreement with colleague"   3 Answers
    • FizzBuzz & Modulo Problem Style code questions on whiteboard.   1 Answer

Social Media Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very transparent and open - both parties (myself and my hiring manager) felt super comfortable throughout the process, and that made me feel confident about working for the company even more.

Interview Questions

• What's your experience using (insert name of tools here)?   1 Answer

Applications Development Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in February 2014.

Interview

One hour technical interview, one hour face to face technical interview, one hour management interview, one hour presentation based on a subject with no prior experience. I was given 4 days to research the subject on my own.

Interview Questions

• Had to discuss a technical business requirement and then discuss what Microsoft technologies were appropriate solutions and five reasons why this technology was chosen. They are trying to get an idea of your thought process and problem solving abilities.   1 Answer

Applications Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in June 2018.

Interview

Telephone interview with HR followed by a technical Skype video interview which covers your understanding of .Net through to your feelings about open source & security policies of large organisations. This would have been an ideal opportunity for Microsoft to filter out candidates that had not recently used very extensive Azure and products such as Dynamics CRM at the depth they require, yet they passed me through to the face to face process and wasted my time further.

An on-site interview takes place during a specific "recruitment" day on which they process many candidates quickly. I was asked to prepare a presentation on Microsoft products, you get about three days to prepare if your life can spare it.

I was left in reception far longer than I would ever consider leaving an interviewing candidate at my company, but what would I know? I'm a dev manager for a small outfit not a corporate.

The “logistics” section tells you to prepare a 25 minute “talk” followed by QA and bring your own laptop (not sure why they naturally assume everyone has a laptop) I recommend you ignore the “logistics” section as I wasted an entire Saturday preparing a slide based talk for the exact time they specified and practiced with my other half to get the timing perfect. Also ignore the bit where it tells you not to introduce yourself as they won't have read that bit and may take a disliking to you, I suspect that did not go well for me.

On the day they wanted to treat it more like a discussion with two guys firing quite cynical 'knowing' questions at me every time I spoke, with the excuse that it was "role-playing as a dev team they might deal with" but derailed it completely as stopping to answer the questions or go back to a previous slide they wanted to pick holes in took up all the time. Just felt like lazy interviewing and quite disrespectful to candidates that have literally just arrived at Microsoft. My impression was they were very corporate, and it wouldn't be a nice place to work.

They delighted in stopping me if I even mentioned anything they didn't feel was relevant to their vague memory of the spec (which they admitted they neither had or read recently).

I was unhappy to have taken a day off and traveled to Microsoft to be treated in a manner I considered unprofessional. I wasted time preparing a hands-on demonstration using Azure which they didn't want to see as there was no time left which I had little control over. The questions were quite cynical and there was some muttering and laughing at my slides and criticising. This would not be a good interview for someone who was unable to infer this hidden expectation from the logistics section of an interview preparation document, for example, I am quite capable of hiring someone with autism but Microsoft would not be IMHO.

As I had to give the presentation first, that just left a bad taste in my mouth. They said that this was normal as their customers are quite unpleasant to them. I've worked with dev teams world-wide and we all have challenging customers but only corporate mentality can expect to use it as an excuse for a confusing ambiguous interview technique.

The later technical interview was good and the guys handling it were professional, but I was completely phased by the presentation debacle so could not concentrate. Expect the standard corporate white board and practice communicating architecture visually. Enjoyed the business interview too.

Had no interest in working for Microsoft following the presentation experience and won't be recommending it to any devs on my teams now or in the future.

The feedback was that I was nervous during my presentation and lost eye contact in my business interview" at one point" so make sure you stare those suckers out to the end.

Interview Questions

• Present Microsoft message queue products and choose the most appropriate   3 Answers

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in March 2009.

Interview

They were looking for people with good transferable skills and adaptability rather than strong technical skills. Be friendly and open, and willing to admit when you're wrong or don't know something.

Interview Questions

• There were a number of logic puzzles within the interview, the one I remember was comparing the height of a body of water with a ship sitting on top of it, compared to the heigh after the ship had been sunk.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation involved.

Business Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in March 2019.

Interview

I applied online in November by sending in my CV. A few days later, I was invited to a Skype Interview which lasted around 20 mins and the questions were aimed at getting to know me as a person and why I would like to work at Microsoft.

One week later, I was informed that I had been successful at the Skype interview stage and that they would let me know if I have gained a place for the Assessment Centre in March or not.

In February, I received an email inviting me to the Assessment Centre and in order to prepare me for it, they invited me to join a 20 min briefing a call a week in advance so they could help me be more prepared for the day, which I found really helpful.

At the Assessment Centre, there were 10 other candidates there and we got to meet the present Interns which helped us relax a bit. The day started off with an introduction to ourselves, we then had a speed dating/networking session with the hiring managers who would be choosing which candidate they'd like to hire and they gave us an insight into their department and what they do. We then, got to meet the other Interns there who gave us an insight into what life is like as an Intern for Microsoft which was really useful. We then had an individual assessment with a hiring manager, in which I was given 15 mins to do my preparation and 5 mins to talk with 5 mins for questions as well. The second assessment was in groups and we were given 20 mins to prepare and 10 mins to present to a panel of the hiring managers. The afternoon session consisted of a tour of the Head Office and then 2x 1-to-1 interviews with 2 different hiring managers which lasted 30 mins each; the questions consisted of scenario-based questions and then they asked other questions in order to get to know me better. They also allowed me to ask questions myself and gave very detailed answers.

We were told that we'd hear back whether we're successful or not within 7-14 days. However, I heard back the day after and was offered the role with really useful feedback.

Business Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

First was online situational test, relatively straight forward, next step was the video interview, this was the hardest part as you don't, next was the Skype interview which was very relaxed and mainly about passion for microsoft and then got through to assessment centre that was professional however very competitive, enjoyable experience however unfortunately no offer.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in January 2014.

Interview

Fair, standard assessment day structure. About 11 people invited, day was tiring but interesting. Also received a tour of the Reading offices. Whole process very smooth after quite a few online stages (e.g. numerical tests, 2 video interviews etc)

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in October 2015.

Interview

I had to do a presentation about windows 10 for Enterprise Customers during 30 minutes , at the end of my presentation, I had 3o minutes to answer the questions of the 3 people panel who were interviewing me

Interview Questions

• Windows 10 update presentation for Enterprise Customers   2 Answers

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in September 2013.

Interview

2 interviews. 1 with a peer the 2nd with the Manager. Standard questions. Very relaxed experience. In all a positive experience. Very professional and respectful experience. Was made to feel very relaxed during the process

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.