Motley Fool Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Motley Fool Interview Questions

Interviews at Motley Fool

2.9

Agile Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Denver, CO (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

1. Recruiter Phone Interview
    2. Panel Phone interview with 3 colleagues
    3. Flew me onsite for 4 interviews with 2 people in each

Very professional. Very courteous and asked applicable questions to the position but also kept it light and personal and asked some fun off the wall questions to get to know you as a person.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage multiple stakeholders with high priority items and limited resources?   Answer Question

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA (US)) in December 2019.

Interview

After submitting my resume, I received and email for a phone interview with a recruiter.
    Received a coding challenge from the team. It was pretty relaxed and they opened a slack workspace for me to ask questions.
    Also, they paid me for it which was pretty great.
    They then flew me out for an in person interview where I met with about 11 people. They asked about my code challenge, how to improve it, and general other questions. Nothing too technical.

Interview Questions

• How would you change *blank* aspect of your code challenge   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA (US)) in December 2019.

Interview

The first step was to talk with a recruiter on the phone, it was a good informational call to learn more about the job and company and to make sure it's a culture fit both ways. The culture fit is important, because it's a lot different there than other companies (In a good way!).

After that it was time to speak with a hiring manager on the phone. We got more in depth about my career path and what lead me to where I am, and also more specifics about the team and job.

The next step an in person interview, but before that there was a coding project to be done. They're less about gotcha questions and whiteboarding problems in interviews and more about seeing what you can actually do. I was asked to spend 8-10 hours on a project that had a well defined set of guidelines. Unlike other companies which ask you to do a project and you can only hope it leads to a job, they pay you for your time regardless of if you get an offer or not. My in person interview process was split into three parts:

1 - Hiring manager + one team member: We went through my project talking through the decisions I made and areas I saw for improvement. Then we went through adding a small feature to the project in about 30 minutes. There was not a lot of pressure, and it was good to talk with them through some of the problems I was running into while working on it.

2 - Hiring manager + other developers on the team: Other developers on the team came in and they went around each asking me a few questions. Everyone asked good questions that were more about assessing me overall as a developer rather than testing obscure knowledge or facts I'd memorized.

3 - Business stakeholders: The last step of the in person interview was to meet with a few of the business stakeholders. The best I could describe it is as a getting to know you chat, they are the people who define the requirements of the software needed so they wanted to make sure I was a fit.

It took a little while to move through the whole process, but they want to make sure that they're hiring the right candidates. Though, I started the process shortly before Thanksgiving so the holidays were definitely part of the delay.

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Motley Fool.

Interview

Surprisingly the worst interview I have done, given they have such a good name. They were sighing the whole interview from the start as if they were never interested and didn't ask questions that would be relevant to me being able to perform the job. On top of that, the recruiter didn't even reply to emails afterward.

Interview Questions

Motley Fool Response

14 Jan 2020 – Human Resources

Thank you for offering feedback on this process. We aim to be respectful to all of our candidates, and we’re sorry that wasn’t the impression left on you. Our interview panels are comprised of Fools from multiple teams across the company, so while all questions may not be tied directly to job performance, they are asked based on years of Foolish experience. It’s always our goal to respond to all follow-up questions from candidates – if we missed yours, we apologize for that oversight. If you still have questions about the process or any additional comments, please feel free to reach out to recruiting@fool.com.

Executive Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

Intentional, well-rounded, covering an array of people and departments, strategic and tactical, team focused, thorough and fun! Though the overall process was a bit long, the recruiter was/is very proactive, empathetic and personable. When they were excited about the next step, it was clear and motivating!

Interview Questions

• What is your philosophy on philanthropy?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Motley Fool.

Interview

The process took several months. I had an initial screening with an HR person in early summer followed by a skype interview with some team members a few weeks later. A few weeks after that I was asked to complete a coding project for which I would be paid (I was never paid). After completing the coding project I was invited to have another video interview a few weeks later. The interview consisted of going over my coding project and discussing a few other things about my skills and work history. I thought it went well but did not hear anything for several weeks. Finally, someone reached out to invite me to the Fool HQ but by this time I had already accepted another position so I declined to continue the process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a project you worked on that did not go as planned   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Denver, CO (US)) in October 2019.

Interview

Had a phone screen with a recruiting coordinator and a recruiter from the east coast office after not hearing back about my application for over a month. The call was very casual to the point of being difficult to follow - the recruiter and coordinator kept talking over each other, making jokes, and laughing. They weren't able to give me a firm answer about what the rest of the process would look like, or a timeline for when I could expect to hear back from them. Their answers to all my questions were very vague and I walked away feeling like I knew less about the role than when the conversation began. It honestly felt like a waste of time since they didn't seem very prepared or organized throughout the call. I asked about their TTF which was incredibly high, and my experience made me understand why. After interviewing with nearly 10 companies during my recent job search, this was the most frustrating process I encountered.

Interview Questions

• - How do you stay organized?
      - Tell us about the recruiting team you worked with in the past?   Answer Question

Motley Fool Response

14 Jan 2020 – Human Resources

We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback. While we do embrace a certain Foolishness that’s interwoven into our interview process, we never want that to be perceived as a lack of preparation or focus – we’re sorry that you were left feeling frustrated. The company is currently facing an exciting period of growth and we’ll definitely learn from this feedback as we scale. And while it’s our belief that there isn’t a perfect science or exact timeline to finding the right candidate, we do aim to provide clarity in our process and encourage candidates to ask follow-up questions if there’s any confusion. If you have any remaining questions or comments, please feel free to reach out to recruiting@fool.com.

Member Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Arlington, VA (US)).

Interview

Three phone calls, all asking the same questions. They tout their culture, and are open about the fact that they basically want you to do the role you were hired for and not expect to be promoted.

After the phone interviews I was invited to the office, where I spent three hours interviewing with 10 people, 1 -2 at a time, again asking the SAME QUESTIONS. I honestly thought I was overqualified for the job, and everyone seemed to like me during the THREE HOUR INTERVIEW PROCESS, then one week later I get a rejection email.

Interview Questions

• What food would you bring into the office for the team?   1 Answer

Executive Director Foundation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Motley Fool (New York, NY (US)) in August 2019.

Interview

I was remote, so there was a phone interview and two video interviews. The two video interviews involved more than one person. The recruitment team was friendly and helpful.

Interview Questions

• Book that influenced me, If I could rebuild mount rushmore - what would be the four faces, describe tough feedback I'd received in the past.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA (US)).

Interview

It took a couple of months to get scheduled, with a lot of jerking around on their part. The interviewers did not ask a lot of technical questions relevant to the job, and I only received a rushed interview with the team I would actually be working with-- I wish I had more time with them.

The biggest disappointment, of course, was not getting the job... but also, being notified by email. After spending several hours on-site for an interview, I believe a phone call is merited, not a canned email.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.