REA Group IT Graduate Role Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Interviews at REA Group

1 Interview Review

IT Graduate Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, Victoria

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at REA Group (Richmond, Victoria) in August 2016.

Interview

After having some contact with a recruiter in the company, the recruiter invited me to a few social events the company was hosting including their hack day. Made several friends from this with other potential graduates, which was nice that the company was organising these social events. I applied online for the IT graduate program soon after.

The first round was answering written questions online, along with attaching a resume and cover letter. Waited a few weeks with no reply. Eventually I was invited to perform a video interview online. The interview was asynchronous, with questions displaying onscreen as text and I had to record myself via webcam and answer the responses. I found it pretty awkward to do so, since it was non-conversational and the timeout would cut you off even if you hadn't finished answering (which put more stress on you).

Waited a further few weeks and eventually received a phone call stating I had made it into the final round of face-to-face interviews (which was only a few days away). Was informed that there would be a technical, cultural and group activity interview.

The day of the interview started with a brief talk from the CEO which was nice. Found out I made down to 30 out of 1,200 applicants. We had our technical then cultural interview questions separated by morning tea. After these interviews, we had lunch and this lead to the group activity, which consisted of a ball game where we have 5 iterations of improving our score each round with vague rules supplied. There were two minutes of planning, two minutes of playing and two minutes retro. The day ended with a tour of the building.

After about a week of waiting, there was no reply. Eventually emailed in and received a phone call the following day saying I was unsuccessful. The reasons stipulated were vague (the recruiter stated I did very well in almost all areas). However, the technical interview did not go well as the interviewers could not see my solution clearly and said I needed to plan more and ask further questions. I would have if I had been given more clear answers by the interviewers. I felt if I had been given a real problem to solve/code they would've been able to see better quality technical skill outcomes from candidates. They scored me around 50%, whereas successful applicants scored around 80% or higher. Disappointing they still scored low considering my grades were good as they asked for an academic transcript. I had a bad run at the time which cost me the job.

Overall, I was pretty disappointed with the process and how much waiting there was without much contact from the recruiters. It was extremely stressful being told we would find out the outcome on a specific date, only having to hear nothing for almost a week thereafter, then having to email in to find out a response—I don't think I would have been contacted otherwise. I expected better.

Interview Questions

• Technical interview questions:

Part 1: Write a program that sorts the following shapes: triangle, square, circle.
    Part 2: Extend your solution so that it supports subtypes of shapes such as right-angled triangles, ovals etc.

Was asked how I'd test the program, and if I felt it was an optimal solution.

Follow up questions for technical interview:

Which language do you use? Why?
    How do you keep up to date with technology?   2 Answers
  • Cultural Interview questions:

Describe a time where you were under pressure and had to make a decision.
    Describe a time when you were stressed. How do you deal with this stress?
    If you use the Real Estate website or app, how would you make it better?   1 Answer
Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.