Revolut Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Revolut Interview Questions

Interviews at Revolut

Product Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Revolut in June 2020.

Interview

An in-house recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn to schedule a call. The meeting invite for the call was sent last minute and only had a UK number and meeting invite (invite was sent after call was supposed to have started). I am in the US and dialed the UK number in an effort to make up for lost time and had some issues with the meeting URL. Toward the end the recruiter asked me a brain teaser type question which caught me off guard as I had no idea what to expect. About a day later I received a rejection email.

Overall this was a terrible interview experience given they sought me out and I am a stable tech firm in the COVID environment.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Revolut (New York, NY (US)) in April 2020.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn.
    Had a quick call; seemed nice.
    He did quiz me around data structures, tdd, solid etc. Typical.

Arranged for a coding exercise with 2 developers.
    Exercise was out of place, completely irrelevant. Judging developer skills on test framework api syntax? Really? That's what makes a great developer?
    I take tdd is important, but this is nonsense.

The interviewers were below standards.
    Unfriendly, uninterested, in a rush. Possibly inexperienced as well.
    I don't know what they managed to judge my skills on.

10 years of solid experience in high profile companies and positions, and they treated me like a coding monkey.

Growing fast they say -like a supernova I would say. The bust is near.

Interview Questions

• code a rough load balancer, and beat the hell out of it, testing beyond reason   Answer Question

29 Apr 2020 – Stronger Together

Thank you for letting us know about your recruitment experience. We take our interview process very seriously and are disappointed to hear that you had an unsatisfactory experience. We urge you to provide feedback on your interviewers in the survey sent to you by email after your email - this way we can follow up internally and give our interviewers support to improve their interview skills.
    We'll be sure pass your feedback about the content of your live coding task to our hiring teams.

Product Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Revolut in March 2020.

Interview

Applied online, got an invitation to a test in about a week or so which consisted of a range of questions from simple math/statistics, to longer situational judgement essays. Overall somewhat difficult, but enjoyable nonetheless.

I got contacted by a recruiter a week after I submitted the test. This is when things started going downhill. I selected a date in the following week, but the interviewer cancelled on the day of the interview, asking me to postpone the interview because she was sick. Fair enough - I can understand, but the next availability of the interviewer is 3 weeks out. I choose the earliest date, and wait for the day to come.

Unfortunately, on the day of the interview again, I am told that they are pausing recruiting due to COVID-19, and they will have to cancel my interview and postpone it to a later date. This is what pissed me off: the recruiter probably knew this beforehand and could have informed me at any time over those 3 weeks, but she did not until the very end. I had cancelled other interviews to make time for this, and also spent a considerable time preparing for the interview, since its a role that I was super interested in. Not to mention that I had to get up very early in the morning because I was 9 hours behind the time zone of the recruiter.

0 communication from the recruiter thereafter upon asking for a tentative date at which they expect interviews to commence, or even something else that I can do in the mean time.

I understand that companies have the upper hand when it comes to recruiting, especially at times as hard as this, but they should also treat candidates with some importance. I was really looking forward to my interviews, and I did not at all expect this level of unprofessionalism from Revolut. Leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Interview Questions

Revolut Response

28 Apr 2020 – Stronger Together

Thank you for taking the time to give us your honest thoughts about your recruitment process. We appreciate that this is a difficult time for companies and candidates as business needs change and hiring priorities change.
    This has been an unprecedented set of circumstances that has affected the whole world - and we have tried to be as sensitive as possible to our candidates in this process and keep as many roles live as possible. We really appreciate your patience and understanding at this time, and we hope to get back to business as usual for hiring as soon as possible!

Senior Backend Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Revolut (Remote, OR (US)) in March 2020.

Interview

Interview has at least 4 stages,
    1. 1:1 call with general & technical questions
    2. test task for one week - write a pet microservice app
    3. group call with 2 developers, technical questions about programming and Java
    4. group call with 2 developers, I was asked to describe my previous experience, to come up handling some bank use-case scenario and also there were couple simple technical questions regarding java.

Interview Questions

• What you don't like in your job   1 Answer

Sr. Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Revolut.

Interview

First was contacted with tech recruiter, took about an hour. Went well. Second was live coding (instead of home task, since I have a job already). Live coding is a part which made me think that here was no intention to hire, like conveyor type of an interview. No guideline of expectations. Asked questions were far away from real world programming. I am working in this industry more than 10 years in global corps and felt like I am a an intern which has not experience based on a feedback. In other words waste of time.

Given task was easy, solved that, however been told that it is going to work slow after all. That really surprised me, if you are looking for optimal solution (in 20 mins) please state it clear, not like answering to a questions:
    - that's ok
    - it's fine
    etc.

Interview Questions

• Write service which generates tiny URL and vice versa.
      How would you design index?
      Do you ever analyze algorithm with Big O notation - experienced programmers doing that daily basis, even sometimes they don't know that expression.   Answer Question

6 Mar 2020 – Stronger Together

Thank you for your honest and thorough review. We appreciate your taking the time to let us know about your recruitment experience.
    The live coding interview is an important part of our hiring process, so that we can fully understand how you react in real-time to issues that we may encounter at Revolut. While we encourage all our recruiters to give their candidates a good insight into what to expect, we are also creating guidelines to ensure that we are giving all our candidates the same information to prepare them. We encourage you to give feedback through the interviewer survey that you should have received after this interview - we provide personalised feedback and rankings to each interviewer to help them perform better, so we really value all the responses that we receive.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Revolut (Remote, OR (US)) in March 2020.

Interview

The process took somewhat 4-6 weeks. I applied for the job position located in Poland. The recruitment process was fully remote and consisted of hangout calls. The first step is the CV screening and a call with the HR guy. The next step is a homework assignment, consisting of 2 exercises (one, is an SQL problem - a redshift-powered metabase, second, is a machine learning challenge). The third step requires you to: a) present your ML solution; b) answer some theoretical DS questions; c) pass Python live coding exercise; d) again, answer some DS questions. The fourth step is the final interview with the head of the AI department.

Interview Questions

• How to exactly implement the calculation of a median using a map-reduce algorithm? It must work well with hundreds of millions of numbers. Describe all steps of the algorithm. What approximation methods of a median you know?   Answer Question
    • What is the Wilcoxon test and how it works?   Answer Question
    • What is the Mann–Whitney U test and how it works?   Answer Question
    • What's the difference between stochastic gradient descent and gradient descent?   Answer Question
    • Describe your experience with the curse of dimensionality. How does this phenomena affect neural networks?   Answer Question
    • What's happening under the hood of the LightGBM package? Describe the algorithm.   Answer Question
    • Give examples of neural networks you designed recently in your job.   Answer Question
    • You trained recently a gradient boosting model. You need to retrain it from time to time, also, it must be put to production. There are no data engineers nor ml-ops people to help you. What would you do?   Answer Question

Payment Investigation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Revolut (New York, NY (US)) in March 2020.

Interview

I applied through glassdor. Got an initial email from the talent acquisition specialist, then I received a home task, fairly easy, and some scenarios where I had to respond to the customer.
    2 days later, the recruiter scheduled an initial call. Went great from my end, a week later an interview per se was scheduled with the hiring manager. Very simple and down to earth, we talked like we were colleagues, felt relaxed, no pressure. From all the interviews I had in my life, this was the most laid back, relaxed interview I ever had (regardless of the outcome).
     Then an offer followed the following week. ( all this during the Corona virus outbreak). They were very thorough and highly professional.

Interview Questions

• Real exemples questions, they provide the scenario and documentation, and I had to find the answer and reply to the customer   Answer Question

Compliance Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Revolut in February 2020.

Interview

It was disorganized and rushed in some aspects.

I applied online. Some time after got an email saying my screening went well and I was being set up for a video interview with the hiring manager. I never had the screening call to begin with but went forward with the interview because the work seemed interesting.

The HR contact wasn’t very responsive and I asked about when I would have a chance for the screening call but didn’t hear back.

The Interviewer had no interest in ensuring they understood my experience and just wanted brief answers to questions that would require more context. Interviewer was also asking that I give them there and then the name of my supervisors who they can contact for references. I respectfully said, this was my first contact, first 10 mins of discussion with this company. I can’t give names without having proceeded to a final round where I’ve been selected, agreed to an offer, and they were verifying my credentials. It was so bizarre.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in two year, especifícalos is it in fintech?   Answer Question
    • What would each of your previous supervisors rate you on a scale of 1-10 and why?   Answer Question
    • What are your professional weakness/what don’t you do well?   Answer Question
    • Skill areas/what are you an expert in (with a very brief example)   Answer Question
    • Driving a project start to finish + end result (with a very brief example)   Answer Question

28 Apr 2020 – Stronger Together

Thank you for giving us your honest feedback about your recruitment experience.
    This interview did not match our usual standards and is highly irregular in process - we will pass your feedback on to the Recruitment team so that they can follow up on this internally.
    Please remember to provide feedback on your interviewer so that we can provide these scores to them to help them improve. Your feedback is crucial to ensuring that we're providing the best possible candidate experience for all our candidates.

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Revolut.

Interview

Had 1 phone interview with a recruiter and never responded back with any answer or next steps. Reached out to her several times for feedback, but she never responded. The company is relatively unknown in the US and is trying to expand in both New York and San Francisco.

Interview Questions

• Didn't really ask questions, but was selling on how Revolut was the top desired place to work for in Europe   Answer Question

3 Mar 2020 – Stronger Together

Thank you for your honest review. We appreciate your taking the time to let us know about your experience. Our recruitment flow includes providing a response to every candidate, even if they are unsuccessful in the end. We will pass your feedback on to our recruitment team to ensure that this does not happen again.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Revolut (New York, NY (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

Reading through the Glassdoor reviews, it seems like many people had a bad experience with the interview process, but mine was fairly straight-forward and the recruiters did a good job in keeping me updated with the process and timeline.

- 1hr online analytical test (~20 multiple choice and ~4 free response questions)
    - 30min w recruiter
    - 30min w hiring manager
    - 1 week to complete a take-home assignment -- data analysis task, since the company is very data-driven. I believe everyone they hire does a similar assignment, so I don't think they "steal your ideas" to fix the problem they ask you.
    - on-site with team

Most of the questions I had during the interviews were behavioral and the interviewers do seem interested in getting to know who you are as a person.

Interview Questions

• What are your 3 greatest strengths and 3 areas of improvement
      Why do you want to work at Revolut / in this role
      How do you work with data
      Why do you want to change jobs
      Salary expectations   Answer Question

3 Feb 2020 – Stronger Together

Thanks for this thorough review. We’re grateful that you took the time to let us know about your recruitment experience with Revolut; we’ve been working hard on implementing feedback to create a better process.
    While it didn’t work out this time, we urge you to check back to our careers page and see what else is available. We’re expanding rapidly at the moment and looking for enthusiastic professionals to join us.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.